ThrowinPlugs

Stradic 4000 too small for 9'6 Airwave Eite?

16 posts in this topic

Quick question, would an ultralight 9'6" like the Elite be too much rod for a 4000 size Stradic? North shore LI fishing only, no big surf. Smaller stuff like 5" talkin poppers, small pencils and 1 oz bucktails.

Not even close imo. The 5k model barely

makes sense to me. Granted thats my opinion but factually, you would be robbing yourself of casting performance with both those reels. Thats a rod for some 5k reels and some 6k. Size varies from one manufacturer to another.

My main issue is the Saragosa 6000 currently on it has a lot of line slap on the cast, so I figured maybe something smaller.

30 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

My main issue is the Saragosa 6000 currently on it has a lot of line slap on the cast, so I figured maybe something smaller.

Do you think a 5000 spool would help? 

8 mins ago, jeffapeikin said:

Do you think a 5000 spool would help? 

Could be a possibility, but I don't wanna drop coin on one for it to not change anything. 

I use the vr125, also used Stradic 5000 both are fine. The Stradic for lighter and smaller fish, I prefer vr- a little stronger and more line = no worries. 

Have a 9'6" Airwave Elite with a Stradic  5000fj and I think it's a good fit.

Remember the Stradic 4000fj and 5000fj are the same size.Just the spools are different size.

Can you even buy stradic fj's anymore? I have an FK and love it, I've put it on anything from 7ft to 9'6 and it's fine, really versatile reel.

I think mine is a HGK or something like that. Btw, I tried it out today; thing case cotton Cordell pencils like a rocket! Can't wait to have some fish on it. Also added a gomexus knob to it; it's so much better. Highly recommended. 

IMG_2194.JPG

1 hour ago, mtfallon88 said:

If you were going to do it I'd get the FK vs the Ci4 as that would be too light to balance it out. I think a 5K would feel better on the rod. 

5k and 4K are he same size  outside of spool diameter which is negligible at best. 

8 hours ago, Steg said:

^^ It's an FK, very likely High Gear (HG).

Ahh.... that make sense.

1 hour ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

5k and 4K are he same size  outside of spool diameter which is negligible at best. 

Ahh.... that make sense.

Your sure 4K and 5k are the same size? 5k has bigger handle and carbon drag system, they might have changed it since the fj series. 5k weighs 11.3, 4K 9.9

Edited by nateD