OnTheFish

Gary2 & Sharpeye

40 posts in this topic

Does any one know if there was a connection between Gary2 and Sharpeye. Their hand carves are pretty much identical except for the eyes. The lip is a little smaller on the Sharpeye but is the same shape. Just curious what the connection between the two is. Thanks guys Don28C46CF7-04D6-40C4-9BE2-D31268DD9767.jpeg.5752ab6734825eb41e7093a118ddd78d.jpeg2FFDAA34-B8DE-4B23-8531-BA7112FC90E7.jpeg.33994ee0de3333a9dff23321605517e9.jpeg40A2E405-8474-4D96-874A-BFD7941A8DAA.jpeg.1b6aa5fa7684f6744e6927e101d91a34.jpeg

A6A37D7E-7425-4782-B792-935F36D17844.jpeg

Well known story you can find the specifics if you use the search function. Kevin Gledhil based a lot of his designs on Garys plugs. A lot of people were not happy about it but I'm not sure if Gary ever cared that much. Do a search there's a lot of information available.

Yes, for a bit he was a frequent phone caller to Gary's house in search of plug building info. I was there a few times when the phone rang.

Jayfish likes this

I dug around some and found some good info. I am in the process of making a few of my own based of their style and like to know the story behind the lures thanks guys

10 mins ago, Striperknight said:

Gary based his lure off the Bagley Top Gun lure. 

and the Cordell Big-O for his Wood-Os

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here are the steps

These are original unfinished Garys

Use the heat epoxy sealing technique or the weight will be off

20150223_114611_resized.jpg.9cbd0bc9c557492cdaa39651be8b1ee4.jpg

20150223_114629_resized.jpg

Edited by Sudsy
Jayfish and OnTheFish like this

1 hour ago, Jayfish said:

Those tiger plugs man do they catch!

They were OK.  They didn't cast great.  I used to fish mine and wouldn't say they ever made a difference that it was worth keeping one in the bag.  The smaller version with the flag tail was a good plug to have on you since there wasn't a plastic alternative.  The slim was a way more versatile lure and well worth keeping a spot for it in your bag.

Edited by Fly By Nite

7 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

They were OK.  They didn't cast great.  I used to fish mine and wouldn't say they ever made a difference that it was worth keeping one in the bag.  The smaller version with the flag tail was a good plug to have on you since there wasn't a plastic alternative.  The slim was a way more versatile lure and well worth keeping a spot for it in your bag.

Never had a problem casting these , have to agree with the flag . And the slim I went back and forth with Gary , I never produced on the slim. Always had him scratching his head with that . I couldn’t buy a fish on the slim  plastic alternative was the bagleys top gun . I found the tiger worked better then the top gun thou 

20 mins ago, Jayfish said:

Never had a problem casting these , have to agree with the flag . And the slim I went back and forth with Gary , I never produced on the slim. Always had him scratching his head with that . 

:squid: Me too. That was his best fish catching plug

Do you only have one? If so it probably needs to be tuned. Bend the eye up or down to get the action right

10 mins ago, Sudsy said:

:squid: Me too. That was his best fish catching plug

Do you only have one? If so it probably needs to be tuned. Bend the eye up or down to get the action right

Unfortunately that plug is long gone.  I’ll never forget the first time I saw the sidekick in action tho!!!! 

And the Sidekick can't be exactly duplicated. He made it out of some "Russian" wood that had some very unique characteristics and wouldn't even tell me where he was getting it from.

All I know is that it was used to pack something (windows perhaps) for shipping, some pieces had metal band strap marks on them

Been keeping my eyes open for the past 10 years but still have no idea.

Edited by Sudsy