gellfex

Anyone had their Lowrance buttons crap out?

20 posts in this topic

So the last couple of outings it seemed like my power button on the Hook4 was frozen "ON", it powered up as soon as the battery was connected. Then yesterday it all went to hell, the menu & screen buttons went dead, and the unit was useless. Never been submerged, bought June 17. If I hadn't used a Citi card that doubles warranties I'd be furious. I think there's a card that adds 2 years, might be worth it just for electronic and appliance purchases!

I look at electronics I use on kayak as a throw-away. Same for gear, still don't buy cheap. Just par for the coarse to me.

Good luck with the new one. You know the one you have is outdated so they'll be steering you towards an upgrade.

2 mins ago, Rick67 said:

I look at electronics I use on kayak as a throw-away. Same for gear, still don't buy cheap. Just par for the coarse to me.

Good luck with the new one. You know the one you have is outdated so they'll be steering you towards an upgrade.

Ha, all the more reason I didn't want to go with a side scan at twice the price!  Other problem is my new boat is only 26" wide, and a vertical format unit is much better for that narrow space between my legs. I didn't want to go TV sized like Riddler and put it at my feet. I had actually just bought a 2nd one, since a 2nd transducer is $120 and the whole unit was $200 with a chart chip. Hopefully they still have stock, but I'll be a little sad to lose my marks. Back them up boys!

I agree with this. I have a 7Ti that I tried on my yak and its just too big. The big screen is great but it just seems to get in the way. I will use it on my boat but I am looking to downsize for the yak.

Anytime you guy a FF/sonar you can add an extended warranty through Squaretrade.  It's only a few bucks, and they're pretty good with warranty coverage.  I agree with the above, generally speaking anything that's subject to saltwater (even if not submerged) is on borrowed time, but you at least want it to last long enough for it to be obsolete.

I feel the 7" screen is perfect on the Revo and Swell Scupper. I normally do split screen 60-40 with GPS. What works for me may not work for others. Doesn't mean any one of us is doing anything wrong.

3 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I feel the 7" screen is perfect on the Revo and Swell Scupper. I normally do split screen 60-40 with GPS. What works for me may not work for others. Doesn't mean any one of us is doing anything wrong.

I would not be surprised if you had better eyesight than me if you put the FF at your toes. At twice as far but only 75% bigger it's actually effectively smaller than my 4". I also play around a lot with the scale to see contours. I'd hate it there, I can't even touch my toes, never mind a FF beyond them!

This fish finder is strange. There is just to much you can do with the Power button. The button controls on and off and a menu dialog box and power off. 1st click of the on/off button is power up,  2nd short click brings up a menu. When in menu mode the power button activates the backlighting and in three clicks the screen will be totally dark so how do you navigate a black screen? you think you shut it off! When you are in the menu screen the power down button wont work,  you must select the power down icon and use the menu enter button .If you want to use the power down key you must back out of the menu screen and hold down the button for a second .

5 mins ago, boulderdash said:

This fish finder is strange. There is just to much you can do with the Power button. The button controls on and off and a menu dialog box and power off. 1st click of the on/off button is power up,  2nd short click brings up a menu. When in menu mode the power button activates the backlighting and in three clicks the screen will be totally dark so how do you navigate a black screen? you think you shut it off! When you are in the menu screen the power down button wont work,  you must select the power down icon and use the menu enter button .If you want to use the power down key you must back out of the menu screen and hold down the button for a second .

Yes, I've gotten lost in buttonland too. Especially as sometimes the paddle in my lap bangs up against the buttons, I'll hear some random beeping as I'm fighting a fish and think "oh no!".

Yes Hook 4 + - buttons died. Went on their website filled out the warranty form with proof of purchase. They send you a label and you send it back. I got a newer color version within 2 weeks. 

Can't start out with screen wet. I can manually navigate if I have to with those buttons. Doesn't mean I could.

The key is to make sure the touch guard option is turned on after any change is made. Otherwise water splash or bunker goo can send the screen whacky until dry. I use one of the BarleyPro covers that keeps it dry in the rain and touch screen will work if finger is wet but not wet screen.

I have to learn through trial and error with Lawrence because there directions suck for all but a geek. 

No Gell I wouldn't recommend it for you or anyone else that wants to turn on and go.

However for me the touch option opened up so much being anti-geek that I can help others on where options are. Just can't tell them which buttons to use to get there. 

Was just looking at the upgrade to mine, "Texts and Phonecalls". We need that?

I think the raymarine dragonfly is way easier to work then the lowrance models. 

I have owned them both. 

Also I like the way the cables connect to the unit with  the dragonfly.   This is my first year with the dragonfly  so I can not comment on the durability factor. I think fish finders in general are a bad investment.

They crap out fast, They are complicated to use. They need constant charging. Connections need to be 

inspected frequently.  The mounting hardware is way over priced.  A light weight battery for them is 

very expensive. The technology changes so fast they become

obsolete quickly. Also it can be depressing looking a display with no fish or worst yet a display 

with fish but you can't get one to bite.

I have had much better luck chasing birds then reading fish finders.

If they're feeding on top it's no wonder a FF is no help!  I've seen it said many times by sharper fishermen than me that the FF is best used for depth and structure rather than actually spotting fish. But some like Elias seem to do very well using it to actually spot fish, so I guess YMMV. I'm never sure what the hell I'm looking at! I think I was actually learning to spot porgy when it crapped out. Very light signs.