squammer

Looking for an 8' 2-Piece Spin Rod that can be used for Casting off Rocks + Live Bait

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2018 at 10:41 AM, Mauru said:

MH at the very most...tho I'd suggest straight M....scootch up to 8'6 and you'll get out there even further

So you were right. Rod ratings I guess don't mean very much between brands. The Daiwa Harrier Inshore MH feels like an extra extra extra heavy compared to my other Ugly Stik Medium rod.

The Medium would have been better for casting I believe. Oh well.

6 hours ago, squammer said:

So you were right. Rod ratings I guess don't mean very much between brands. The Daiwa Harrier Inshore MH feels like an extra extra extra heavy compared to my other Ugly Stik Medium rod.

I got into this post very late...sorry. Any sort of lure plus bait fishing like you want to do is a compromise when it comes to the rod. The US served you well because of the type of blank design. It's not stiff and has a lot of flex not to mention the toughness.  Lure fishing and casting a whole mackerel is a wide range for any single rod. I would have suggested the Ugly Stick or its close cousin the Tiger rod. You simply won't find a better suited longer lasting rod for this kind of money. I would just replace it.

So the rod I bought (Daiwa Harrier 8' MH 2 piece) it just too stiff in the tip to get any bend when casting lures. The rating is so drastically different than the ugly stik... It didn't work out.

Back on the hunt... I will check out some of the previously mentioned rods but they all seem to be surf casting rods. I was hoping for a long inshore type rod but maybe I just don't know the market and this does not exist. St. Croix makes a 3-piece Tidemaster which is perfect but it's like a gazillion dollars.

I plan to use this with some bucktails in the 3/4oz-1.5oz range, as well as some SP Minnows and pencil poppers. Live-living will just be hooking and letting them run while anchored -- not casting any macks with this rod.

Edited by squammer

On 10/15/2018 at 0:12 AM, squammer said:

sad.jpg

8 hours ago, squammer said:

So the rod I bought (Daiwa Harrier 8' MH 2 piece) it just too stiff in the tip to get any bend when casting lures. The rating is so drastically different than the ugly stik... It didn't work out.

Back on the hunt... I will check out some of the previously mentioned rods but they all seem to be surf casting rods. I was hoping for a long inshore type rod but maybe I just don't know the market and this does not exist. St. Croix makes a 3-piece Tidemaster which is perfect but it's like a gazillion dollars.

I plan to use this with some bucktails in the 3/4oz-1.5oz range, as well as some SP Minnows and pencil poppers. Live-living will just be hooking and letting them run while anchored -- not casting any macks with this rod.

Again, look at the 8ft St. Croix Mojo Cat medium powered rod.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

I use a Tsunami Classic or trophy I forget. It’s the newest bottom end in their saltwater land based lineup. It was $75 or so. If you have the dough, a little more for the Airwave would be better and Airwave Elite better still. Either way, I’m using the 8’ 3/4-3 oz as my primary rod for convenience and safety of the rod. I can pull it apart and the two halves fit nicely under the back seat of our van safely away from me, the wife and our four kids. No closing it in the back gate, no feet or hands touching it. 

I have used it constantly over the last two years. No problems. 

Since starting this thread last year, I have learned a LOT about rods from a technical standpoint as well as a preference standpoint. I realized that last year I was assuming that rod power ratings were more universal. I also did not understand what rod action ratings really meant and have since realized that the action ratings are not standardized at all either. Turns out that what I was looking for was a more moderate action rod in medium power that is 7'6" and 2 piece. I also learned more about lure weight ratings and don't really throw anything over 1.5oz really (not a surf guy, more inshore and off boat). 

I am still looking!

... ended last season going back to the ugly stik and enjoyed it. I have since bought a Shimano Teramar 7' Medium power rod that has an x-stiff action rating to throw light softbaits off of docks. BUT it feels like my medium action ugly stik.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Check out Offshore Angler 8' Powersticks.  I randomly got one off Craigslist and that rod has been a beast for casting 1-2oz lures for blues/spanish.

My buddy picked up an 8' Tsunami Airwave at BPS and it's very nice for the money.

Just go to your local BPS and touch everything until you find what you like.

Edited by animalbarrie