Looking for an 8' 2-Piece Spin Rod that can be used for Casting off Rocks + Live Bait

Rate this topic

squammer

I currently have an 8' Ugly Stik Bigwater Rod that is 2-piece. This rod has served me well (my first rod) but is getting a little banged up. I am now more info fishing and want to get myself a new rod of similar specs.
I have checked out some rod company websites for a replacement for this rod and cannot find anything... Can anyone make suggestions?

What I want: 8' Spin Rod in the MH range (~10-25lb rating) that is a 2-piece design. I would like cork grips for better detection of bites on my live baits.

What I will use it for: Casting from rocks and docks and boats for Striped Bass in MA (North Shore and Cape Cod), as well as live-lining mackerel. I want something that can cast plugs/bucktails but also detect bites well when live-lining macks near the rocks. I want a 2-piece design so I can bring the rod with me in my car on weekend trips. 

What I have found so far: 

1) Daiwa Harrier 8' Spin rod that matches my specs perfectly but it's a "jigging" rod and I am not sure if that type of rod will cast well?

2) St. Crox makes a 3-piece version of these specs but it's like $450 so forget it.

Can I use the Daiwa Harrier for my needs or what else should I be looking for?

Thanks!

Here to learn and improve!

Find your self a Star Rod SG1220S80. It's a two piece rated for 1/2-2oz but it is really 1-3oz maybe 4. Dicks carries them for $99 or you can get them online pretty much anywhere. It is the best 8 foot 2 piece rod I have used. It also has a shorter butt then usual which I really like. 50/50 split, collector guide on the first half.

Edited by faithless

Awesome thanks for the responses.

What makes a rod good for jigging anyways? Would a jigging rod cast well too?

EDIT: I created a new thread for this question to get it more exposure.

Edited by squammer

I don't know how much weight you want to cast, but an good option based on the listed specs you gave is the 8ft St. Croix Mojo Cat. It is 8ft, medium powered, casting weight from 1/2oz to 3oz (it can handle up to 5oz), 50/50 split 2-piece, a composite build that is both light/strong/durable/sensitive, and it balances well with reels up to a Penn 4500 sized spinner.

The guides are Fuji Kigans and they have held up very well for me in both fresh and saltwater. It uses cork grips and the butt is 14in long. 

Thanks again for the advice.

For 8' rod, do I go MH power 12-20lb rating for 3/4-2oz lure?  Or, H power at 15-30lb rating for 1/2-3oz lure?

Casting lures off rocks, docks, boats etc and live-lining mackerel near rocks...

Edited by squammer

14 mins ago, squammer said:

Thanks again for the advice.

For 8' rod, do I go MH power 12-20lb rating for 3/4-2oz lure?  Or, H power at 15-30lb rating for 1/2-3oz lure?

Casting lures off rocks, docks, boats etc and live-lining mackerel near rocks...

MH at the very most...tho I'd suggest straight M....scootch up to 8'6 and you'll get out there even further

Edited by Mauru

7 hours ago, Mauru said:

MH at the very most...tho I'd suggest straight M....scootch up to 8'6 and you'll get out there even further

Okay good to know. The Ugly Stik big water surf (bws1100) I am replacing was a 10-25lb Medium rating. 

Edited by squammer

2 mins ago, Kima said:

In the future, ignore line ratings and look at the lure ratings.  Line ratings are meaningless and are just put there as a general idea.  The lure rating actually applies to what you'll be doing with the rod.

Okay great to know!

So I went with the MH version which is rated for lures 3/4-2oz, while the Heavy rod was 1/2-3oz lure rating.

Still good with the MH version you think? Casting lures off rocks, docks, boats etc and live-lining decent sized mackerel near rocks off my boat.

Edited by squammer

27 mins ago, Kima said:

3/4-2 is a good range, especially on an 8 foot rod.  Should be perfect.  For the record, that's probably the rating I would have been looking for too.

Thanks Kima!

Just in case future searchers come across this thread, these rods are on sale at amazon or tackle direct for around $80-90.00 marked down from $100-140 range. Search Daiwa Harrier Inshore Spinning Rod or more specifically for MH rating "daiwa harrier hr802mhfs".

Edited by squammer