ATBfish

What would you say is the best lures to use in middle/upper Chesapeake?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

58 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

It depends on how far up you are. If you’re in the Susquehanna area, you’d actually do better up there opening day through a week or two and late season. From HdG south to just south of HMI you need to be out in the water. I’ve had very little to no success trying to fish from shore. The game changer- get a kayak. 

We yak the susquehanna from the dam danger zone down a little bit June 1 (opening day) every year and kill it. Jigheads and plastic Shad.

This time of year is when the best deals are had on yaks so if you find yourself getting one before the spring, send me a message and I’ll get you out with us so you can get towed around the river by some beasts. 

That area of the Susquehanna was a place I used to like to fish from shore, and up into Deer Creek, but not fishing specifically for Stripers. When I took my boat, I launched from Lapidum Landing. I've caught some decent Stripers there, and the first one I ever caught that was 30", on a fly was caught there. 

On 10/3/2018 at 8:27 PM, ATBfish said:

So I think I am having trouble with “matching the hatch”. I have tried various lures(yozuri mag darter, hogy epoxy jig, tsunami swim shads) and not seeing results. I only fish from shore so what recommendations do you guys have for best lures for Chesapeake? Thanks. 

A rake and a garbage bag

On 12/9/2018 at 9:29 AM, chessie_yaker said:

It depends on how far up you are. If you’re in the Susquehanna area, you’d actually do better up there opening day through a week or two and late season. From HdG south to just south of HMI you need to be out in the water. I’ve had very little to no success trying to fish from shore. The game changer- get a kayak. 

We yak the susquehanna from the dam danger zone down a little bit June 1 (opening day) every year and kill it. Jigheads and plastic Shad.

This time of year is when the best deals are had on yaks so if you find yourself getting one before the spring, send me a message and I’ll get you out with us so you can get towed around the river by some beasts. 

Most of you guys on pedal? I'm itching to get on the Sussy this coming spring on my kayak, but it's a paddle. Is it more of a float or are you anchoring?

Just now, lonellr said:

Most of you guys on pedal? I'm itching to get on the Sussy this coming spring on my kayak, but it's a paddle. Is it more of a float or are you anchoring?

Paddles and bricks for anchors. You don’t want a yak anchor up there because it will get lodged in the rocks and make for a bad situation. From where we put in, it’s about a 20 min paddle up to the area we fish and it’s a good bit of water that we cover. A few good pools that constantly produce. I missed opening day and had to work this year. This is the pic I got around lunch time from my buddies rubbing it in

969639DC-EE2D-4F5C-9218-F8F782040624.png.ca61cb93a162fbbb4a3623b1021ad336.png

10 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

Paddles and bricks for anchors. You don’t want a yak anchor up there because it will get lodged in the rocks and make for a bad situation. From where we put in, it’s about a 20 min paddle up to the area we fish and it’s a good bit of water that we cover. A few good pools that constantly produce. I missed opening day and had to work this year. This is the pic I got around lunch time from my buddies rubbing it in

Good to know! I will keep in touch because I'm usually in the Jersey surf in the spring, no kayak. I'd like to get more familiar with the home waters with my kayak, and hopefully catch with some of my plugs.

I am over on the Eastern Shore. There are places in the Miles River that can be fished from shore but it is only good the first two weeks in June or the first two weeks in October. Surface lures like a Super Spook work well at daybreak and dusk if you fish them right off rocks and rip rap. I am going in by boat and it is dicey getting close enough to cast right next to the rip rap without running aground. Anywhere off the golf course (Harbourtowne) is good at those times. Last summer I could not do well unless I went well north of the bridge to the chumming fleet. Things picked up after Labor Day and I had one the best Fall fishing seasons ever. Once the bluefish go away I like using a Tsunami holographic shad in chartreuse/silver or pearl spot on a jig head with a Z-Man skirt. My buddy pours jig heads so we started using SPRO type heads last fall and did well in addition to the shad heads with doll eyes. When the bluefish are around it is either a Z-man shad on a jig head or metal. My new favorite metal is a 3/4 oz Lil Bunker in chartreuse.  

Edited by Finprof

Spoons are the deadliest lures hands down. I will always start with spoon and work my way from there. 

I like to stay simple and focus the movement more than constantly swapping out lures. Just make sure that the color is matching the time of day and lighting

1. Spoon

2. Z-Man or Gulp if fish are suspended (been having some crazy good fishing with the gulp eel)

3. Jerk bait if fish are bottom 

4. Spook pencil popper for top water

5. I always hold a 7-9'' swim shad on days like rocktober. I find bigger fish stacked under smaller fish so I use something larger. This way only the bigger ones are able to hook up.