ATBfish

What would you say is the best lures to use in middle/upper Chesapeake?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

So I think I am having trouble with “matching the hatch”. I have tried various lures(yozuri mag darter, hogy epoxy jig, tsunami swim shads) and not seeing results. I only fish from shore so what recommendations do you guys have for best lures for Chesapeake? Thanks. 

Nothing wrong with what you're using. The problem may be you have to be fishing where there are fish that can be caught. Doesn't matter what lure you throw if there are no fish there to see them. I was born there & grew up in MD, and fished the bay & it's tribs my entire life. I fished from shore, and from boats, and frankly had a lot more success from a boat, because I could get to places where there were fish. IF, there are fish within casting distance, of where you're fishing, you'll eventually catch some of them. Use lures of different weight, size & profile, that can cover the water column, top to bottom. But, you won't catch what's not there.

I rather throw lures too, but some places, using bait was a better choice.  

Not trying to spot burn, but what area are you fishing? Mid/upper bay covers a big area. Not every place from shore will be productive. 

I moved to SC a few years ago, so haven't fished in Md waters for awhile, but maybe I can give you some places to try, based on the 50 years I did fish there. 

Would be glad to exchange that info via PM too, not that there's too many places that people wouldn't know about. 

21 hours ago, tidewaterfly said:

Nothing wrong with what you're using. The problem may be you have to be fishing where there are fish that can be caught. Doesn't matter what lure you throw if there are no fish there to see them. I was born there & grew up in MD, and fished the bay & it's tribs my entire life. I fished from shore, and from boats, and frankly had a lot more success from a boat, because I could get to places where there were fish. IF, there are fish within casting distance, of where you're fishing, you'll eventually catch some of them. Use lures of different weight, size & profile, that can cover the water column, top to bottom. But, you won't catch what's not there.

I rather throw lures too, but some places, using bait was a better choice.  

Not trying to spot burn, but what area are you fishing? Mid/upper bay covers a big area. Not every place from shore will be productive. 

I moved to SC a few years ago, so haven't fished in Md waters for awhile, but maybe I can give you some places to try, based on the 50 years I did fish there. 

Would be glad to exchange that info via PM too, not that there's too many places that people wouldn't know about. 

I was born in Maryland.  Left as a young kid and came to the west coast.  How is the fishing in SC?  Considering relocating in a few years.

I was born in MD too. The fishing here is like any place I would guess, can be great sometimes and other times not so good. 

Like I said to Matt in my previous post, depends on where you're fishing and if there's any fish there at the time.

I live in Manning, near Lake Marion ( Santee Cooper lakes). The fishing can be great with a good variety of fish. Many here are bass anglers, some target the Stripers, and fishing for the big catfish is something that many like to do. In the spring, as the spawn starts there are some who chase the panfish, Crappies & Redbreast.  There's also White Perch in the lakes but seems they're not very popular except as bait. There's Shad running up some of rivers, and that starts here in winter and very early spring. No moratorium on them here. 

Fishing along the coast can be excellent at times. I follow a local web page that's for fishing the Charleston area, which is about 70 miles from me, but they also cover other areas around the state. Like other fishing sites, good reports are hard to get, because no one wants to spot burn, but general info can be good sometimes. That sites gets a good bit of info posted about offshore fishing, some inshore and some freshwater. So, there's plenty of fishing opportunities here.

I've only as yet fished at Pawley's Island on the coast, just haven't been able to spend much time traveling to fish. 

There's some other lakes around  too that I've read can have excellent fishing, but they're closer to Columbia, and again I would have to travel to fish them. I've fished my local area, and some days the fishing is good, other days not so good. I've been here about 3 years and am still getting to know the area and there's a lot here to learn. 

IMO, there's good fishing in MD, but the fishing here is generally better because there's better access. SC is a rather big state too compared to MD, but has a lot of the same type of fishing. There's about 5 boat ramps for the lake within a 15 minute drive from my house, and within 30 minutes many more on either Lake Marion or Lake Moutrie. They do a good job here with fishing and hunting access. 

My resident fishing license cost me $20. $10 for freshwater, and $10 for saltwater. 

My only regret about moving here, I wish I had done it about 20 years before I finally did! 

The cost of living here is a lot less than in MD, taxes are less, but so are job opportunities. There's jobs here, but depends on where exactly you want to live and what type of job you can do. 

Healthcare here may not be as good as in MD, but again depends on where you are here.

There's plenty of cheap property & houses here in my area. We looked in Charleston, but I didn't want to live there. Too congested, and where I used to live in MD was like that. I didn't want to have to deal with that again. I live in a small town, and love it! 

Anything I can help you with as far as answering questions if you need to know more, feel free to ask! 

Jim 

BTW,  D_L. my oldest son lives in Danville CA. He works in San Fran. I've been out there. No way I would want to live there either.

The area he lives in is nice, beautiful area, but dang it's expensive! 

My wife & I love it here in SC, except she loves to go to CA and spoil the grandkids! 

I'll go visit there, but rather be here! 

12 hours ago, tidewaterfly said:

I was born in MD too. The fishing here is like any place I would guess, can be great sometimes and other times not so good. 

Like I said to Matt in my previous post, depends on where you're fishing and if there's any fish there at the time.

I live in Manning, near Lake Marion ( Santee Cooper lakes). The fishing can be great with a good variety of fish. Many here are bass anglers, some target the Stripers, and fishing for the big catfish is something that many like to do. In the spring, as the spawn starts there are some who chase the panfish, Crappies & Redbreast.  There's also White Perch in the lakes but seems they're not very popular except as bait. There's Shad running up some of rivers, and that starts here in winter and very early spring. No moratorium on them here. 

Fishing along the coast can be excellent at times. I follow a local web page that's for fishing the Charleston area, which is about 70 miles from me, but they also cover other areas around the state. Like other fishing sites, good reports are hard to get, because no one wants to spot burn, but general info can be good sometimes. That sites gets a good bit of info posted about offshore fishing, some inshore and some freshwater. So, there's plenty of fishing opportunities here.

I've only as yet fished at Pawley's Island on the coast, just haven't been able to spend much time traveling to fish. 

There's some other lakes around  too that I've read can have excellent fishing, but they're closer to Columbia, and again I would have to travel to fish them. I've fished my local area, and some days the fishing is good, other days not so good. I've been here about 3 years and am still getting to know the area and there's a lot here to learn. 

IMO, there's good fishing in MD, but the fishing here is generally better because there's better access. SC is a rather big state too compared to MD, but has a lot of the same type of fishing. There's about 5 boat ramps for the lake within a 15 minute drive from my house, and within 30 minutes many more on either Lake Marion or Lake Moutrie. They do a good job here with fishing and hunting access. 

My resident fishing license cost me $20. $10 for freshwater, and $10 for saltwater. 

My only regret about moving here, I wish I had done it about 20 years before I finally did! 

The cost of living here is a lot less than in MD, taxes are less, but so are job opportunities. There's jobs here, but depends on where exactly you want to live and what type of job you can do. 

Healthcare here may not be as good as in MD, but again depends on where you are here.

There's plenty of cheap property & houses here in my area. We looked in Charleston, but I didn't want to live there. Too congested, and where I used to live in MD was like that. I didn't want to have to deal with that again. I live in a small town, and love it! 

Anything I can help you with as far as answering questions if you need to know more, feel free to ask! 

Jim 

Hi Jim, Sounds like you have no shortage for variety of fishing spots. How is the surf casting scene?  Can you catch stripers from the surf?  I've just recently started  into surf fishing.

I grew up near Johnsons Lake in Salisbury.  I grew up and went to college in San Francisco.  It was great growing up here.  But now there are so many people here. And the cost of living is outrageous.  It costs over 1 million to even a touch in San Francisco.  And that is a fixer upper. No Joke.  Its the same 50 plus miles away from the city.  Houses are a million there.  The only affordable place left in the bay area is Sacramento.  Everyone is going there now.  My girlfriend and I make a decent living.  But we are not interested in investing in property which would require us to tie up over 50% of our monthly income.  That's insane to me.  So we are definitely looking to relocate in the next few years.  We are thinking of trying  a trip this year to Charleston since we like the coast so much.  Do you have any recommendations for coastal place to check out in SC?

Thanks so much for the feedback

D_L

D_L, there is some surf fishing being done here, but it's not like surf fishing further north. Most use baits, and smaller lures, and Stripers are generally caught in the rivers. No one uses the bigger wood surf lures here that I've seen and been told. I've done some surf fishing at Pawley's Island, with baits such as shrimp, and cast some small bucktails & spoons, but haven't done enough to really give good advice. I prefer to fish the back waters rather than the surf. The primary target species are flounder, redfish, black drum, bluefish and whiting, although other fish are sometimes caught.  Apparently, Stripers don't migrate here in big numbers either like they do up north, like in MD/VA or NC, and pretty much are river fish. The folks who fish for them are mainly doing so in the lakes.

Much of the inshore fishing here is shallow water, marsh type of fishing. There's opportunities for flood tide, wading and sight fishing, but much of that is accessed by boat. There's plenty of places to fish, regardless of what type of fishing you like to do.

I know what you mean about the insanity of the cost of living out there, because I know what my son & his wife pay in rent. Plus, they're raising two boys. They both have good jobs, and that's why they moved to CA.

Some friends of my wife & I just moved here from MD, and they were looking at a house on the coast just south of Charleston. There's places all along the coast that are very nice, and except for Myrtle Beach, Charleston, and Hilton Head are not as developed as other coastal areas. Our friends have kids, and they ended up buying a house in Summerville, which is a very nice town, but not right on the coast. 

When we moved, I didn't want to be right on the coast, but wanted to be close, within about an hours drive. Where I live, there's great opportunity for both freshwater & saltwater fishing with just a short drive. Now, if I was looking for a place along the coast, I would look at Pawley's Island and the area between there and Georgetown, or the area between Georgetown and Mount Pleasant, and south of Charleston, but I also wouldn't want to live in Hilton Head. That's just me, after living in the congestion of MD. I don't care for the tourist areas, but realize there's going to be some of that all along the coast. I've had to travel thru Georgetown often, and not impressed with what I've seen, but there may be some nicer areas there. I just have not seen them. 

Edisto Island, St Helena Island, Beaufort, Seabrook, and Bluffton are all nice areas just to name a few south of Charleston, and Awendaw or McClellanville are less densely populated areas just north of Charleston. There are places more inland a bit that are very nice too, like Moncks Corner, and Goose Creek. Both of those have a lot of military folks. We looked in Summerville, there are some beautiful houses and communities there, but we found the house we now own closer to the lakes, and that's one reason we bought were we did.

When we first moved here, my one son was living on Folly Island, and he later moved to James Island, both part of the Charleston area. Too congested for me, but some nice areas. He's dealing with some health issues, so we moved him here to my house. He was also attending college there, the Citadel, as he's a military veteran, and liked living in Charleston. 

Charleston reminds me of Annapolis, an old colonial era town, except there's no Spanish Moss hanging from the tree's in Annapolis. Both towns have a lot to do, and excellent amenities.

At my age, I really like this small town living, and the quiet life of living near the lake. We joke that a traffic jam in town is 3 cars! In hindsight, if we were still raising our family, the Charleston area would have been a great place to live IMO.

12 hours ago, tidewaterfly said:

D_L, there is some surf fishing being done here, but it's not like surf fishing further north. Most use baits, and smaller lures, and Stripers are generally caught in the rivers. No one uses the bigger wood surf lures here that I've seen and been told. I've done some surf fishing at Pawley's Island, with baits such as shrimp, and cast some small bucktails & spoons, but haven't done enough to really give good advice. I prefer to fish the back waters rather than the surf. The primary target species are flounder, redfish, black drum, bluefish and whiting, although other fish are sometimes caught.  Apparently, Stripers don't migrate here in big numbers either like they do up north, like in MD/VA or NC, and pretty much are river fish. The folks who fish for them are mainly doing so in the lakes.

Much of the inshore fishing here is shallow water, marsh type of fishing. There's opportunities for flood tide, wading and sight fishing, but much of that is accessed by boat. There's plenty of places to fish, regardless of what type of fishing you like to do.

I know what you mean about the insanity of the cost of living out there, because I know what my son & his wife pay in rent. Plus, they're raising two boys. They both have good jobs, and that's why they moved to CA.

Some friends of my wife & I just moved here from MD, and they were looking at a house on the coast just south of Charleston. There's places all along the coast that are very nice, and except for Myrtle Beach, Charleston, and Hilton Head are not as developed as other coastal areas. Our friends have kids, and they ended up buying a house in Summerville, which is a very nice town, but not right on the coast. 

When we moved, I didn't want to be right on the coast, but wanted to be close, within about an hours drive. Where I live, there's great opportunity for both freshwater & saltwater fishing with just a short drive. Now, if I was looking for a place along the coast, I would look at Pawley's Island and the area between there and Georgetown, or the area between Georgetown and Mount Pleasant, and south of Charleston, but I also wouldn't want to live in Hilton Head. That's just me, after living in the congestion of MD. I don't care for the tourist areas, but realize there's going to be some of that all along the coast. I've had to travel thru Georgetown often, and not impressed with what I've seen, but there may be some nicer areas there. I just have not seen them. 

Edisto Island, St Helena Island, Beaufort, Seabrook, and Bluffton are all nice areas just to name a few south of Charleston, and Awendaw or McClellanville are less densely populated areas just north of Charleston. There are places more inland a bit that are very nice too, like Moncks Corner, and Goose Creek. Both of those have a lot of military folks. We looked in Summerville, there are some beautiful houses and communities there, but we found the house we now own closer to the lakes, and that's one reason we bought were we did.

When we first moved here, my one son was living on Folly Island, and he later moved to James Island, both part of the Charleston area. Too congested for me, but some nice areas. He's dealing with some health issues, so we moved him here to my house. He was also attending college there, the Citadel, as he's a military veteran, and liked living in Charleston. 

Charleston reminds me of Annapolis, an old colonial era town, except there's no Spanish Moss hanging from the tree's in Annapolis. Both towns have a lot to do, and excellent amenities.

At my age, I really like this small town living, and the quiet life of living near the lake. We joke that a traffic jam in town is 3 cars! In hindsight, if we were still raising our family, the Charleston area would have been a great place to live IMO.

Jim, Thanks so much for all the helpful info.

D_L

I moved from New England to the lower Bay Area a few years ago. I was turned into G-eye jigs with a rubber skirt, trailed by a 7” striper sniper worm. The rubber skirt add a lot of bouancy to the bait, thus allowing you to fish a 3/4oz jig in skinny water, or letting it fall in deeper water. It’s a very versatile rig. Often times it’s not about “matching the hatch”, it’s about making your bait stand out amongst the rest. These jigs cast like a bomb too. 

Matt, folks use a wide variety of lures in the bay area, and they all will catch fish. I certainly agree with what you're saying. I know several lure makers in MD, some who produce lures commercially, and some who are hobbyists,  who produce all types of lures for fishing the bay, and many of those lures don't look like anything "natural" in the bay, so they certainly do stand out! 

Still, it doesn't matter what's tied to the end of the line, if it's not getting in front of some fish, it's not going to be productive. 

I'm familiar with G eye jigs. They're actually similar to Eye Strike jigs made here in SC, but larger & heavier. The designs are similar in that they feature a very prominent "eye". The Eye Strike jigs are also marketed by ZMan, so popular down here with Zman plastic baits. 

What area of the lower bay are you fishing? 

6 hours ago, tidewaterfly said:

Matt, folks use a wide variety of lures in the bay area, and they all will catch fish. I certainly agree with what you're saying. I know several lure makers in MD, some who produce lures commercially, and some who are hobbyists,  who produce all types of lures for fishing the bay, and many of those lures don't look like anything "natural" in the bay, so they certainly do stand out! 

Still, it doesn't matter what's tied to the end of the line, if it's not getting in front of some fish, it's not going to be productive. 

I'm familiar with G eye jigs. They're actually similar to Eye Strike jigs made here in SC, but larger & heavier. The designs are similar in that they feature a very prominent "eye". The Eye Strike jigs are also marketed by ZMan, so popular down here with Zman plastic baits. 

What area of the lower bay are you fishing? 

I’m in Yorktown. I fish all over the place from Mobjack to the CBBT. And yes, I use the Eye Strike jigs too for trout and drum. 

In the Upper Chesapeake I would say opening night bass assassins w/ 1/2-1 oz jig head and 2 oz pink and white sting silvers were my go to.  After having kids and being away from serious fishing for ~10 years, those two lures still worked the last two years.

2 hours ago, Eduardo Kang said:

In the Upper Chesapeake I would say opening night bass assassins w/ 1/2-1 oz jig head and 2 oz pink and white sting silvers were my go to.  After having kids and being away from serious fishing for ~10 years, those two lures still worked the last two years.

Good choices! The Bass Kandy Delights are popular too. I like them a bit better than the Bass Assassins but have used most brands made, and caught fish on them. I've caught plenty of Stripers on curltail grubs on jig heads, as well as ribbontail worms. I always carried bucktail jigs, and added various plastics to them or fished them without. As I said above, folks use a wide variety and they can all be very productive. 

My wife & I have raised 4 kids in MD, so I know exactly where you're coming from! Kid's are expensive! 

It depends on how far up you are. If you’re in the Susquehanna area, you’d actually do better up there opening day through a week or two and late season. From HdG south to just south of HMI you need to be out in the water. I’ve had very little to no success trying to fish from shore. The game changer- get a kayak. 

We yak the susquehanna from the dam danger zone down a little bit June 1 (opening day) every year and kill it. Jigheads and plastic Shad.

This time of year is when the best deals are had on yaks so if you find yourself getting one before the spring, send me a message and I’ll get you out with us so you can get towed around the river by some beasts.