Tin vs Kastmaster — when to use which?

Rate this topic

Alexey

Is there any advantage to using tins over chrome metal lures like Kastmasters or Hopkins?  Assuming we are comparing similar-length oval tin to Kastmaster or elongated tin to Hopkins.  Are they interchangeable or would you choose one over the other in certain situations When?  Would it matter if the tin is still shiny or if metal lure darkened and lost it’s sheen?

For everything you  ever wanted t know, and then some:

Search is your friend on SOL.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

On 10/3/2018 at 11:20 AM, Alexey said:

Is there any advantage to using tins over chrome metal lures like Kastmasters or Hopkins?  Assuming we are comparing similar-length oval tin to Kastmaster or elongated tin to Hopkins.  Are they interchangeable or would you choose one over the other in certain situations When?  Would it matter if the tin is still shiny or if metal lure darkened and lost it’s sheen?

Regarding the shine, I prefer metal lures to be as shiny as possible since the scales of living bait fish are bright and luminous when alive in opposition to being dull when dead and not fresh.

As for when to use kastmasters or other tins;  Kastmasters combine a fairly good casting distance and motion on retrieve, but they are heavy/compact and do require a certain fast speed of retrieve to be attractive otherwise no motion, and also the link to lure and line requires a suitable sized split ring and swivel on the expense of discretion. So I use kastmaster when waves are there and fish are active and then it is usually productive . 

Otherwise when the bite is not that active, I would then go with thinner tins that are more discreet  in the link to line and can still produce a wobbling/ fluttering motion at lower speeds, this makes a difference in triggering the bite in calmer conditions. 

What is also detrimental in efficiency is to have a gear set up that maximizes the casting distance of the specific weight of your tin.  

casting jigs.JPG

7 hours ago, carangua said:

Regarding the shine, I prefer metal lures to be as shiny as possible since the scales of living bait fish are bright and luminous when alive in opposition to being dull when dead and not fresh.

As for when to use kastmasters or other tins;  Kastmasters combine a fairly good casting distance and motion on retrieve, but they are heavy/compact and do require a certain fast speed of retrieve to be attractive otherwise no motion, and also the link to lure and line requires a suitable sized split ring and swivel on the expense of discretion. So I use kastmaster when waves are there and fish are active and then it is usually productive . 

Otherwise when the bite is not that active, I would then go with thinner tins that are more discreet  in the link to line and can still produce a wobbling/ fluttering motion at lower speeds, this makes a difference in triggering the bite in calmer conditions. 

What is also detrimental in efficiency is to have a gear set up that maximizes the casting distance of the specific weight of your tin.  

casting jigs.JPG

I like and agree with your choices—-I fish sandy bottom beaches, and carry my metals in a hard eye glass case for quick access. Long walks and constant movement is key.