Alexey

Which 5 lures to travel the world?

66 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, DAQ said:

Haha, dinks?! I have fished plenty of places around the world and a 1 oz Kastmasters have produced many nice fish. They have also produced when other offerings didn't.

A tiny lure will usually out produce bigger lures numbers wise; there are always more small fish then big fish. There is the occasion when a tiny offering can produce a nice fish and sometimes even a big fish, but then again what is nice to one angler is a dink to another angler.

If I am traveling the world for fishing, you can bet I want to focus strictly on bigger fish and bucket list fish rather then wade through hoards of smaller fish hoping a big fish hits a small lure. I will stick with bigger lures, fewer fish, and better odds at quality fish. You don't see guys fishing for tuna, GT, and wahoo with 1oz kastmasters.

Honestly, the lures I picked for myself are still on the smallish side in my opinion.

On 10/3/2018 at 5:49 PM, nalu22 said:

Good idea, deadly lure that 16a Black Bomber!

If I knew swift water was on the list of spots, Mag Darter would be on my list, (2) versions ago was IMHO the deadliest!!

nice:)

9 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

A tiny lure will usually out produce bigger lures numbers wise; there are always more small fish then big fish. There is the occasion when a tiny offering can produce a nice fish and sometimes even a big fish, but then again what is nice to one angler is a dink to another angler.

If I am traveling the world for fishing, you can bet I want to focus strictly on bigger fish and bucket list fish rather then wade through hoards of smaller fish hoping a big fish hits a small lure. I will stick with bigger lures, fewer fish, and better odds at quality fish. You don't see guys fishing for tuna, GT, and wahoo with 1oz kastmasters.

Honestly, the lures I picked for myself are still on the smallish side in my opinion.

That's great but the hypothetical situation has you traveling the world to fish. Not just waters with GT, wahoo, tuna, and "bigger" fish. Seems like you could miss a lot of great fishing. Also, size of lure often does not correlate to size of fish.

There are no wrong answers to this question. When I travel, I take offerings that give me a reasonable chance at adapting to different situations. If I had a specific area, species list, or class of fish, I would adjust accordingly. 

Posted (edited)

Presumably fishing from a boat if traveling the world so the choices are easy - 

1. Diamond Jigs

2. Bombers

3. Colt Snipers

4. Magic Tail Mojo Trolling Chute Rigs

5. Andrus Rip Splitter "Smilin Jack" style Bucktails with Rinds

Probably some might like to add other open water trolling rigs like Green Machines or Boon Rigged Tuna Treat Packs in place of the Mojo Rig. 

Diamond Jigs cover all of your vertical jigging needs & let you hammer fish down deep, Bombers cover all baitfish & can be cast or trolled, Colt Snipers let you work the Middle & Surface of the water column, obviously the trolling lures let you work open oceans for pelagic species & Bucktails would be good because you can make them look like pretty much anything from squid to baitfish to eels..etc. 

Edited by CaryGreene
Added Info

On 10/7/2018 at 10:51 AM, DAQ said:

That's great but the hypothetical situation has you traveling the world to fish. Not just waters with GT, wahoo, tuna, and "bigger" fish. Seems like you could miss a lot of great fishing. Also, size of lure often does not correlate to size of fish.

There are no wrong answers to this question. When I travel, I take offerings that give me a reasonable chance at adapting to different situations. If I had a specific area, species list, or class of fish, I would adjust accordingly. 

It depends a lot on what you want to fish for and where as most bodies of water hold large apex predators that consume actual fish, not just minnows. For that reason I can't see reaching for a 1oz Kastmaster if I am trying to catch Golden Dorado, Peacock bass, New Guinea bass, Yellow Cheek, Taimen, Wels cat, Masheer, Goliath Tiger fish, Piariba, Arapima, etc..., and that is before we even get to saltwater. Can you?

The OP did mention using the lures to catch bait, a 1oz Kastmaster would work for that purpose, but a Sabiki rig would be my first choice to catch bait in any body of water.

On 10/7/2018 at 8:41 AM, CaryGreene said:

Presumably fishing from a boat if traveling the world so the choices are easy - 

1. Diamond Jigs

2. Bombers

3. Colt Snipers

4. Magic Tail Mojo Trolling Chute Rigs

5. Andrus Rip Splitter "Smilin Jack" style Bucktails with Rinds

Probably some might like to add other open water trolling rigs like Green Machines or Boon Rigged Tuna Treat Packs in place of the Mojo Rig. 

Diamond Jigs cover all of your vertical jigging needs & let you hammer fish down deep, Bombers cover all baitfish & can be cast or trolled, Colt Snipers let you work the Middle & Surface of the water column, obviously the trolling lures let you work open oceans for pelagic species & Bucktails would be good because you can make them look like pretty much anything from squid to baitfish to eels..etc. 

When it comes to diamond jigs I cheat:laugh::laugh: especially during commercial bass season

P5120012-600x450 (1).jpg

51 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

It depends a lot on what you want to fish for and where as most bodies of water hold large apex predators that consume actual fish, not just minnows. For that reason I can't see reaching for a 1oz Kastmaster if I am trying to catch Golden Dorado, Peacock bass, New Guinea bass, Yellow Cheek, Taimen, Wels cat, Masheer, Goliath Tiger fish, Piariba, Arapima, etc..., and that is before we even get to saltwater. Can you?

The OP did mention using the lures to catch bait, a 1oz Kastmaster would work for that purpose, but a Sabiki rig would be my first choice to catch bait in any body of water.

You are going to be casting a very long time trying to catch any of those fish in the saltwater (what this thread is about). And, yes, I would throw a 1 oz Kastmaster for any of those fish. If that didn't work, I would have 4 other offerings to try.

Like it or not big fish eat small offerings. My choices are about versatility so I can adapt to different areas around the world. If I wanted to just target the biggest of the big fish in the ocean all of my choices would be trolling lures. Unfortunately, I would rather run a marathon with a mouth full of puke, than troll for anything.

The offerings I listed have worked well for me in my travels, I'm not packing for you, I'm packing for me.   

4 hours ago, DAQ said:

You are going to be casting a very long time trying to catch any of those fish in the saltwater (what this thread is about). And, yes, I would throw a 1 oz Kastmaster for any of those fish. If that didn't work, I would have 4 other offerings to try.

Like it or not big fish eat small offerings. My choices are about versatility so I can adapt to different areas around the world. If I wanted to just target the biggest of the big fish in the ocean all of my choices would be trolling lures. Unfortunately, I would rather run a marathon with a mouth full of puke, than troll for anything.

The offerings I listed have worked well for me in my travels, I'm not packing for you, I'm packing for me.   

I used FW fish as just as an example since you wrote off the examples of SW fish I mentioned.

I agree with you on your point that large fish will eat small offerings, but you decrease your odds of getting big fish and that is a fact. I really don't even consider a 3oz Kastmaster all that big anyway, just big enough to draw strikes from most decent predators while deterring strikes from what is the equivalent of bait.

As you said, "I'm not packing for you, I'm packing for me", I don't want spend most of my time catching cocktail blues and blue runners. :)

Posted (edited)

On 10/2/2018 at 9:28 PM, Alexey said:

Wow, thanks for the awesome responses so far.  Lots of respect for white bucktails!  Are they truly the most universal lure around the world, not just in the Northeast?  Noone would take a Kastmaster/Krocodile lure?

There's probably no gamefish (and I'm defining that as anything an angler might want to catch) that you can't catch on a bucktail, including a lot of things that one hit other lures.

You can fish them fast near the top, or slow right on the bottom.  You can jig them vertically or bring them in on a straight retrieve.  Depending on how you manipulate the lure, you can make it imitate anything from a shrimp to a pelagic baitfish.

If I was limited to 5 lures, it would be five bucktails in different sizes.  Wouldn't be perfect for every situation, but they would function in every situation far better than any other lure could.

Edited by CWitek

1) bone spook 

2) chrome blue rattle trap 

3) silver spoon

4) white bucktail

5) SP 

Why are so many electing to take a bone-colored lure for world-wide travel.  Wouldn’t silver, black back be a more universal color?

Posted (edited)

Hmmm...

Traveling the world ?

- Stickbaits : Rapala Shallow Longcast 14...One in ghost and one in mangrove

- Poppers: Halco Roosta popper 135 white with red head, and one 160 in  firetiger

- SP17 in Bone or green mack

All with adequate hardware of course.

And one kit...My Daiwa Demon Blood  8 foot Travel, paired with my Slammer HS6500...,:rav:

^..^

Edited by snapper1