Alexey

Which 5 lures to travel the world?

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you were marine cruising around the world, visiting every ocean and sea and could only take 5 lures with you, what lures would they be?  What size/color?  Why?

Edited by Alexey

5 1oz cotten cordell pencils mack, rainbow trout, blue over chrome black over chrome and red head white body Why they catch 

Edited by TheKnot

White 1oz. bucktail

tin J8

white sluggo

white/yellow topwater

dark/light hard swim bait

Why?  After all is said and done, I'm reaching for these things and passing up others anyway.

Wow, thanks for the awesome responses so far.  Lots of respect for white bucktails!  Are they truly the most universal lure around the world, not just in the Northeast?  Noone would take a Kastmaster/Krocodile lure?

kgtexas likes this

2 hours ago, Alexey said:

Wow, thanks for the awesome responses so far.  Lots of respect for white bucktails!  Are they truly the most universal lure around the world, not just in the Northeast?  Noone would take a Kastmaster/Krocodile lure?

Edited by TimS
Please don’t post commercial links here - when folks ask a question here we’d prefer folks here to answer - so please don’t send them somewhere else - thanks

3/4oz

1oz

1.5oz

2oz  white or yellow bucktails

5in magdarter in bone or mack

Because I catch the majority of fish on these. Confidence thing

Remember, we are talking about fishing in all kinds of seas, warm and cold, around the globe.  I wonder if fishermen in Japan, China, Africa, India, Norway, etc, all use bucktails as much as we do.  I wonder if we asked on their saltwater forums, whether the response for world-travel lures would be the same, or whether we are biased by our local bucktail-loving fish.

Great topic Alexey!

1. Swimbait

2. Bucktail

3. Kastmaster

4. Spook

5. Popper 

1 and 2 are both so versatile, fun fact, in one of my Dad's old Air Force bailout survival bags there where red and white bucktails. 

Thanks for the kind words.  I am very surprised by responses.  I thought they  would be  similar to mine, but they are not.  My top 5 for travel are:

the

3/4 to 1 oz chrome Kastmaster-type lure,

1/3 to 1/2 Chrome Kastmaster,

1/2 oz jighead, tipped with white Gulp 3 inch mullet,

Rapala Rattling Shad, roughy 3/4 oz, natural shiny/dark color,

Salmo zipper — smallest size (4) tiny and heavy rattling lure in gold/chartreuse color.

These have been my go to lures in unexplored saltwater locations.  Usually starting the exploration with smaller Kastmasters or gulp-tipped jigs.   It never occurred to me that bucktail is that versatile.  I kind of assumed it’s purely a striped bass thing.

32 mins ago, Yossarian said:

5 Kastmasters of various sizes from 3/4-4 oz

4 oz Kastmaster? Why?  Wouldn’t you rather have a 1/2 or smaller castmaster for smaller fish or bait?  How would you use the 4 oz where 2 oz wouldn’t be enough?  Is it for deepwater jigging?

magdarter

sluggo rigged or on a jighead

bucktail with white curly tail

kastmaster

charlie graves tin

3/4 - 1 1/2oz range

alternate: casting egg with a handful of different teasers, clousers, etc.