Braid for Canal

Rate this topic

MA John

There is 40lb braid (Samurai) that breaks at 40 lbs and there is 40lb braid (832) that breaks over 70lbs. They are both two totally different tools and used for totally different purposes.

I don't know what kind of pluggin your doing so I can't recommend any line. Just wanted to give you and FYI. That's all.

40 for general canal use, 30 for real distance plugging, 50 for when the big fish are in. I find myself generally using 50# now.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

1 hour ago, night owl said:

There is 40lb braid (Samurai) that breaks at 40 lbs and there is 40lb braid (832) that breaks over 70lbs. They are both two totally different tools and used for totally different purposes.

I don't know what kind of pluggin your doing so I can't recommend any line. Just wanted to give you and FYI. That's all.

^^^

Excellent advice, which most folks who are new to braid do not know.

If you use mostly surface plugs and you want max distance (which is not required to catch fish most of the time, IMO), then get a 40# braid that actually tests at 40#.  

I've never used the Samurai to which night owl referred, but I've used 30# and 40# Sufix 832 (Those are the mfr's stated breaking strengths.) on several reels and I really like it.  Problem with that line is that it is spendy, so when I need a reel spooled with 300+ yards of line I often go with Jbraid, which is some 30-40% less expensive.

TBT, it is a balancing act that incorporates your rod, the styles and weights of the plugs that you like to cast, the drag on your reel, etc.

Since you are new here, I'll assume that you're also somewhat new to fishing the ditch, so it seems unlikely that you're throwing 3 1/2 oz wooden plugs; I'll further assume that you might have lures like SP Minnows, pencil poppers and little-neck poppers in the 2 oz range, and some other stuff in the 1- to 2-oz range. 

If my assumptions are correct, then a braid of 40# *actual* test (recall that it might be labeled anywhere from 20-30# test on the packaging) might suit you just fine.  

I have been buying j-braid from my local shops when I ask them to load a spool for me.  So far it has worked just fine, in everything from 40-65# stated strengths.

If you'd like to make yourself crazy, do  search in the Main forum for "braid" and you will see 100s of threads.

If you'd prefer to maintain your sanity and just go fish and have fun, visit your local shop, WITH your rod and reel, and ask them what they recommend.

They will steer you right.

Keep it simple.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

2 hours ago, night owl said:

Had no idea there was that much of a range in break strentgh...my only braid experience is with powerpro and fireline.  I am throwing swimmers, poppers and spook type baits 1-3oz range  Thank you

36 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

^^^

Excellent advice, which most folks who are new to braid do not know.

If you use mostly surface plugs and you want max distance (which is not required to catch fish most of the time, IMO), then get a 40# braid that actually tests at 40#.  

I've never used the Samurai to which night owl referred, but I've used 30# and 40# Sufix 832 (Those are the mfr's stated breaking strengths.) on several reels and I really like it.  Problem with that line is that it is spendy, so when I need a reel spooled with 300+ yards of line I often go with Jbraid, which is some 30-40% less expensive.

TBT, it is a balancing act that incorporates your rod, the styles and weights of the plugs that you like to cast, the drag on your reel, etc.

Since you are new here, I'll assume that you're also somewhat new to fishing the ditch, so it seems unlikely that you're throwing 3 1/2 oz wooden plugs; I'll further assume that you might have lures like SP Minnows, pencil poppers and little-neck poppers in the 2 oz range, and some other stuff in the 1- to 2-oz range. 

If my assumptions are correct, then a braid of 40# *actual* test (recall that it might be labeled anywhere from 20-30# test on the packaging) might suit you just fine.  

I have been buying j-braid from my local shops when I ask them to load a spool for me.  So far it has worked just fine, in everything from 40-65# stated strengths.

If you'd like to make yourself crazy, do  search in the Main forum for "braid" and you will see 100s of threads.

If you'd prefer to maintain your sanity and just go fish and have fun, visit your local shop, WITH your rod and reel, and ask them what they recommend.

They will steer you right.

Keep it simple.

Thanks Southcoastphil. You are correct I have no experience fishing the canal...something I plan on doing only a few times this fall.

I am with you on keeping it simple and like to support the local shops as much as possible, and they will do a much better job loading my reel than I can cranking it on in my living room. 

will check out j-braid thanks again

22 mins ago, MA John said:

Thanks Southcoastphil. You are correct I have no experience fishing the canal...something I plan on doing only a few times this fall.

I am with you on keeping it simple and like to support the local shops as much as possible, and they will do a much better job loading my reel than I can cranking it on in my living room. 

will check out j-braid thanks again

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that J-braid is the end-all and be-all of braided lines, for there are many excellent braided lines out there these days.  

I've just found that many shops here in SE MA and those on the cape often use J-braid when spooling line.

It's worked very well for me in terms of tying knots, casting reasonably well, being reasonably abrasion resistant and affordability.

YMMV.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

1 hour ago, Southcoastphil said:

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that J-braid is the end-all and be-all of braided lines, for there are many excellent braided lines out there these days.  

I've just found that many shops here in SE MA and those on the cape often use J-braid when spooling line.

It's worked very well for me in terms of tying knots, casting reasonably well, being reasonably abrasion resistant and affordability.

YMMV.

Interesting. I tried 50lb J braid last year when that 7 week blitz was happening. I replaced worn out 50lb pp that was still landing big fish, but was into its 3rd season. So i thought it best to replace it.  

First night with the new line hook a real nice fish. Taking line against a tight drag, but I had to pressure him due to some structure. The line snapped with a resounding snap. Never had 50lb braid snap like that. Next morning I respooled witb 65lb pp and never looked back.

The Sultan of Sluggo

8 mins ago, bob_G said:

Interesting. I tried 50lb J braid last year when that 7 week blitz was happening. I replaced worn out 50lb pp that was still landing big fish, but was into its 3rd season. So i thought it best to replace it.  

First night with the new line hook a real nice fish. Taking line against a tight drag, but I had to pressure him due to some structure. The line snapped with a resounding snap. Never had 50lb braid snap like that. Next morning I respooled witb 65lb pp and never looked back.

Bob, what pound leader material do you typically use? Do you find that line difficult to break off if you snag up?

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333