puff tentacle

Using live eels in daytime?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Does anyone here use live eels during the daytime for bass.  If yes , can you specify what region/area you fish. Trying to figure out if it’s a regional thing or not.   I was bass fishing the Long Island Sound for years strictly using either live bunker or chunking but I now fish the east end of Long Island and am wondering if it’s worth it to try eels during the day.  I was using clams in the spring and did ok and now I have used spots but they are pretty expensive bait. I know eels are good bait at night but I haven’t heard so much about their use during daylight hours.  

We use them during the day from a boat on 3 way rigs in the Race and Plum Gut provided the bluefish are not around to tear them apart. I’ also use them from shore at dusk/sunset and first light/sunrise. 

I've done very well fishing central LIS during the day (mid-morning) with eels on a three-way-rig. Here's and example of a daytime bass caught on an eel.

6TQjD2D.jpg

10 mins ago, puff tentacle said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I can’t  wait to give them a try

I'm pretty sure eels will work any time of day but there's an aspect to it that hasn't been mentioned yet..

They are kind of like a plug in the sense that if you're casting into water that isn't holding fish, you won't get bit. You mentioned that you use to use live bunker (which I imagine you got for free by snagging) and chunking bait. Chunks will throw off a scent trail that can get a fish from afar to sniff out your offering. So your odds of catching with bait in empty water still aren't zero.

Guys in boats are usually drifting over large areas so of there aren't fish under the boat now, there might be in a few more yards.

You're best bet is to try eels at a spot that you already know is productive, and use them to try to call out the bigger fish. Casting live eels into barren water is a sure way to spend a lot of money quickly on bait

4 mins ago, nickd9283 said:

I'm pretty sure eels will work any time of day but there's an aspect to it that hasn't been mentioned yet..

They are kind of like a plug in the sense that if you're casting into water that isn't holding fish, you won't get bit. You mentioned that you use to use live bunker (which I imagine you got for free by snagging) and chunking bait. Chunks will throw off a scent trail that can get a fish from afar to sniff out your offering. So your odds of catching with bait in empty water still aren't zero.

Guys in boats are usually drifting over large areas so of there aren't fish under the boat now, there might be in a few more yards.

You're best bet is to try eels at a spot that you already know is productive, and use them to try to call out the bigger fish. Casting live eels into barren water is a sure way to spend a lot of money quickly on bait

Thanks Nickd, the same areas that I have been catching short fish lately I will drop down some eels and see what happens

3 hours ago, nickd9283 said:

great advice

12 hours ago, Sandflee said:

used to sling eels in Montauk off the rocks during the day unless bluefish were around

Jealously watched a guy put on a clinic during a daytime M blitz, we all caught schoolies on plugs and jigs, he kept catching 15#ers on eels

Might have been you ??

Edited by Sudsy

I was on a charter last weekend out of central jersey. We live eeled for stripers. 3 way rig very simple. I’ve never fished that way before. Plop to bottom, couple cranks then slow jigging until hit. Touch bottom, jig up, touch bottom. Plop back to bottom, couple cranks back up. You get the idea. Once the tide was right we killed em’ to 30lbs