luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - October 2018

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, allen sklar said:

Leaving the beach yesterday (not fishing) I noted 2 gulls one with a bunker the other fish, still alive, pompano?

Definitely a pompano, odd for sure I'd think for this time of year.

20 hours ago, allen sklar said:

Edited by dave sharkman

Color on that fish not as bright as i remember,thought they were almost a bright yellow on ventral? fin. Wonder if subdued color due to water temp?

Every time i go there i see something different,this would qualify.

Related story,2 years ago was drum fishing with Possum. Had couple bait rods out for kingfish/spot with fishbites bloodworm on. Both our rods started jiggling,reeled in showed something had been on it,holding rod you could feel something on but couldn't hook anything. Then noticed bunch of splashes about 30 yards out that got larger then disappeared,then reappeared about 100 yards north but closer in.

We thought it was bluefish,ran and cast Hopkins,stingsilvers and i think gotcha plugs into it repeatedly without a hit. Action stopped for about 5 minutes then right in front of us,very close in,this blitz started again,some fish coming partway out of the water.

Possum waded out with a castnet and tried for whatever it was for about 20 minutes with no luck. I put on a weighted snag hook and started ripping it thru the middle of the blitz which at this point was @150' long and eventually snagged something. It was a large pompano, Possum then caught one in his castnet. Pompano blitz!,lasted for almost an hour pretty much right in front of us. Pretty neat to see, we guessed they were on maybe silversides or minnows. Never heard of a pompano blitz ,at least in that area.

Every time i go there i see something different...

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:39 AM, allen sklar said:

Leaving the beach yesterday (not fishing) I noted 2 gulls one with a bunker the other fish, still alive, pompano?

ADS_4678.jpg

Alive?
amazing to see with water temps below 50...
Would have guessed it was someone's leftover frozen bait dumped on the beach...it looks pretty "pale" if you know what I mean....

Just came back from tog fishing IRI, Skunked big time , fed the inlet a lot of sinkers. Froze my monkeys off . Fished from 8:30 to 1:30  Nada. Only saw one tog pulled over the rail . The  for casted 7 mph wind turned to be 15 to 20 mph. I think my further Tog fishing will be from a head boat.  But was talking to another fisherman on the south side and we both spotted a seal, He was closer to the North side near the bridge. Jersey reports makes it sound like the stripers are starting to move. What say ye.