luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - October 2018

48 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, KOSS said:

Sorry my man, but I didn’t take any.  Was solo yesterday eve and this am.  I was rewarded by the fish gods for helping a new guy I think.  He got a couple too which was fun to see.

Good deeds always give good karma.  Grats

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, KOSS said:

Caught a bunch of blues the last couple days on 1/0 owner mutu light circles with stripped spot or bluefish.  What size are you using?

1/0

Maybe it was a fluke but 3 hrs getting picked clean with no hook ups. Then switched to whatever the kind gentleman gave me and hooks 6 bait size blues in 10 casts. 

Edited by Springer

20 hours ago, KOSS said:

Sorry my man, but I didn’t take any.  Was solo yesterday eve and this am.  I was rewarded by the fish gods for helping a new guy I think.  He got a couple too which was fun to see.

Was the new guy who I think your talking about? If so awesome

11 mins ago, Rocks&Reds said:

Was the new guy who I think your talking about? If so awesome

Not who you think...I think.

1 person likes this

I made it out to the MD side for the first time in a long, long time this past weekend. I guess I have to start paying my dues again out there because I couldn't get anything but crabs to touch the big baits. The bait rod kept busy though with blues, kingfish, a spot, and a few flounder, including a keeper.

On 10/8/2018 at 1:36 PM, Springer said:

A little tackle talk here.  For some years I had been faithful to using mutu lite circle hooks for panfish. Well there is something about a bluefish mouth or the way they take a small bait where those hooks are useless for me. I was fishing large whole finger mullet for drum and they couldn't stand up to the ravages of the small bluefish for 1 minute. I was getting panicked about my rapidly dwindling bait situation and decided the only thing that could last any amount of time against the bluefish was a bluefish head and I couldn't catch them. I ran down the beach and borrowed 4 small long shank j hooks from a nice stranger and proceeded to hook them consistently. Has anyone else experienced something similar?  I would appreciate if you post up what small hooks you like for blues. 

Response to Springer and a report.

I too have noticed that the mutu light circles have a low hook up ratio with small bluefish, even when matched to the size. These hooks are great for a lot of other species (especially drum, croaker, kingfish, spot). What's really strange is the larger sizes, 2/0 -5/0, work really well for larger blues 16-18" plus.

When I want get smaller blues for bait or tacos, I like to hold the rod with small #6 or #4 long shank J hooks. Eagle Claw model 702 circles also work much better than the mutus for small blues, but I have found they are inferior to the mutus for nearly every other species.

This was anecdotally confirmed this morning on a Delaware beach. I was fishing small double mutu hooks on my lighter rod. I was getting near constant bites and was pulling in occasional spot, small weakfish, one 8" black drum, one small 10" flounder, a 10" kingfish, and a bur fish, but not a single blue. I was missing probably 90% of the  bites. When I switched to small J hooks with the same bait, I got 3 blues in three casts.

These blues along with the spot were stripped and chunked for the larger rods and over the course of the outgoin tide were converted into 4-5 skates, a dogfish, and a small sandbar. I should have went with the fish tacos, but had a great morning with a variety of species.

1 hour ago, wok167 said:

Response to Springer and a report.

I too have noticed that the mutu light circles have a low hook up ratio with small bluefish, even when matched to the size. These hooks are great for a lot of other species (especially drum, croaker, kingfish, spot). What's really strange is the larger sizes, 2/0 -5/0, work really well for larger blues 16-18" plus.

When I want get smaller blues for bait or tacos, I like to hold the rod with small #6 or #4 long shank J hooks. Eagle Claw model 702 circles also work much better than the mutus for small blues, but I have found they are inferior to the mutus for nearly every other species.

This was anecdotally confirmed this morning on a Delaware beach. I was fishing small double mutu hooks on my lighter rod. I was getting near constant bites and was pulling in occasional spot, small weakfish, one 8" black drum, one small 10" flounder, a 10" kingfish, and a bur fish, but not a single blue. I was missing probably 90% of the  bites. When I switched to small J hooks with the same bait, I got 3 blues in three casts.

These blues along with the spot were stripped and chunked for the larger rods and over the course of the outgoin tide were converted into 4-5 skates, a dogfish, and a small sandbar. I should have went with the fish tacos, but had a great morning with a variety of species.

You describe exactly what I have experienced on numerous occasions. I just received a 50 pack of eagle claw long shank j hooks, #4. Thanks for your input. 

Thanks for the tips last weekend Koss! Caught two 44's at dusk on Sunday. I've been attempting to catch a bull red during the fall run for three years now. Super stoked to finally land a couple. Caught them on fresh caught spot and kingfish.  Nothing bit at my store bought bunker chunks or heads. Caught a few spot, one bluefish and one kingfish on the bait rod. 

43581282_10202038055092737_2882790802218549248_o.jpg

43618840_10202038054092712_4362444771273211904_o.jpg

43598227_10202038053732703_5631759653378457600_o.jpg

Posted (edited)

Started my PB trip on the 1st. What good timing, both weather and fish! On the beach for 9 full days. Great seeing beach pals, but wish more could have been there. Bummer Eric's truck let him down in the middle of all of this. GLAD to be there to help CG :)  Bait was tight, if it wasn't for some pre prep with Eric and his freezer...... Some of us old guys just can't bait fish and fish, we need more chair time to keep those aches and pains minimal, ya know, so ya can pull in the big one,,,,,,,,,, or somebody else's big one :p 

Congrats Andy (new guy) Thanks for the bait!

Edited by Catskill John