luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - October 2018

48 posts in this topic

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots, times, and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? 

;)

Off to a great start, lets hope it continues!

Fished an ***et in Delaware 10/1 and 10/2.  Blues and more small blues plus 1 short striper before dark last night.  More blues today with one going about 24".   At times they were hitting on every cast.  All caught on a Shimano Waxwing.  Mullet were everywhere at low tide. Nice clear water conditions.

Went to a spot near snow hill. Was looking for bait, came up empty for mullet, caught 2 small spot. Hope I can come up with some bait on the way to the beach!

Thought today would have been as good as last night but the wind and tides went against me out front. Was cool to land a few sharks in the 4-8ft range but dropped some nice reds and I can't get over it still. I will keep at it while still on vacation and head back to Jersey and do my thing back up there. Man these beaches are so much cleaner down here just much different trying to find structure. 

8 hours ago, Rocks&Reds said:

Got to love a light bar. Not

And Coleman lanterns!

A little tackle talk here.  For some years I had been faithful to using mutu lite circle hooks for panfish. Well there is something about a bluefish mouth or the way they take a small bait where those hooks are useless for me. I was fishing large whole finger mullet for drum and they couldn't stand up to the ravages of the small bluefish for 1 minute. I was getting panicked about my rapidly dwindling bait situation and decided the only thing that could last any amount of time against the bluefish was a bluefish head and I couldn't catch them. I ran down the beach and borrowed 4 small long shank j hooks from a nice stranger and proceeded to hook them consistently. Has anyone else experienced something similar?  I would appreciate if you post up what small hooks you like for blues. 

It really depends on the bait. I’m not brand specific really, but for mullet I use a long rigging needle to pull the leader from the vent out the mouth and pull something like a 7/0 to 9/0 wide gape, non offset, straight eye up in to the bait. I then run a stinger hook back to the tail, 3/0 or so, and very lightly hook it in. Almost all the blues and sharks are caught on the stinger, without the stinger I miss a lot of fish. I rig with fairly heavy 7 strand wire most of the time, like 90-275 lb. you can do this with most baits that are whole fish. I’ve rigged 14” bluefish like this before.

35 mins ago, Drummerbeedude said:

It really depends on the bait. I’m not brand specific really, but for mullet I use a long rigging needle to pull the leader from the vent out the mouth and pull something like a 7/0 to 9/0 wide gape, non offset, straight eye up in to the bait. I then run a stinger hook back to the tail, 3/0 or so, and very lightly hook it in. Almost all the blues and sharks are caught on the stinger, without the stinger I miss a lot of fish. I rig with fairly heavy 7 strand wire most of the time, like 90-275 lb. you can do this with most baits that are whole fish. I’ve rigged 14” bluefish like this before.

Thanks. I am sure in a certain context that is really good info. But I am specifically talking about catching 8" blues (and spot, kingfish etc.) to use as bait. 

Caught a bunch of blues the last couple days on 1/0 owner mutu light circles with stripped spot or bluefish.  What size are you using?

Sorry my man, but I didn’t take any.  Was solo yesterday eve and this am.  I was rewarded by the fish gods for helping a new guy I think.  He got a couple too which was fun to see.