Failed surf landing

I put my reels  below deck before launching or landing.  Rods are laid  down flat on deck. 

Not sure if you could side surf or brace in a PA? I don't think it has much secondary stability.

You do how ever have a good amount of below deck storage.

It is always a good idea to prepare for the worst when launching and landing by protecting your gear.

Thanks for the tip.

5 hours ago, dbjpb said:

He should have waited 5 minutes until there was no waves at all like when he climbed back on in glassy conditions.

KFA-NY

Kayak Wars/Team Fishing Lab

Yellow Eyed Devils

(*member formerly known as ''rick smithtown)

That tub got swamped with 20 gallons of water -> total loss of control.

I launch with MD drive stowed away, meaning the MD opening is wide open, so that water can drain ASAP.

Once, wasnt thinking straight and plugged the MD opening with MD plug during launch and same exact thing happened to me.

Still worth it to carry the plug with you, in case you need to paddle any distance should MD fails. But, unplug that opening in surf !

45 mins ago, dbjpb said:

another failed attempt

Wow, he did so much wrong. Just as the fast forward ended,  for some reason he threw his boat sideways with some left back braces. Why?  Accidental?  Then instead of sweeping with his left to get straight he was trying to rudder on his right instead, which just killed his momentum and steerage way. When the wave hit, he leaned away from it instead of into it with a brace, and he was done.

My take is he was a typical pedaler with no paddle skills. No instincts on how to control his boat in those conditions. And his paddle was backwards.

I was thinking about what I posted while working, and realized probably even an experienced flatwater paddler doesn't really have the kind of skills for surf. It's not just forward strokes! Other than actually practicing in rough conditions like rapids or surf, the best way I know to gain more control with a paddle was a kayak polo game we used to play with students.  It was more or less ultimate frisbee with a pool kickboard, but running with the "ball" was allowed till you were tagged, then you had to throw. This forced our kayak students to learn things like spinning their boat fast when the board changed hands, back paddling, hard acceleration to run or catch a runner, and other tight maneuvering in the excitement of a game. A 45 minute game was exhausting, then we'd go out drinking!

A lesson by a certified instructor and  practice in the surf would be the most logical solution to acquire the skills needed for a safe surf launch or landing. I  have had a lot  of fun playing in the surf  over the years .Once I gain the skills I also gained confidence. I have found that there is more than just the paddle to consider when dealing with the surf. How the waves are breaking, counting the sets, the frequency of the waves, wind, tide, beach steepness, changing conditions now and when I land, deciding if you should dismount or stay in your boat, should I launch or not, come to mind. Time in the surf zone sharpens your skills and gives the practical experience to make safe choices. Time on the water in varying conditions is the best way I know to facilitate skills, watching videos may be a help but is no substitute.  Hope this helps.

5 hours ago, Fishinjohny said:

I thought of one more very important thing if you don't have thigh straps in your boat install  them.

You should explain why, most of the readers who have even heard of thigh straps probably think they're for keeping you from falling out of the boat.

When bracing side ways in a wave the straps prevent you from getting pulled out of the kayak by the wave. If it was a sit inside kayak you would brace with your thigh/knees against the inside of the cockpit. With a sit on top kayak the thigh straps replace the inside of the cockpit as something you can maneuver the kayak with your legs. This allows you to hold your kayak on edge and prevents you from falling out. I have never seem someone use them locally when fishing besides me. Many people fear they will be trapped in the kayak with them. This is not the case. If you push your knees together you will pop out of the straps. Good luck in the surf zone and dress for immersion.

Edited by dbjpb