atv223

Failed surf landing

93 posts in this topic

I made it out to Sea Bright this past Saturday.  Getting out was a littler rougher then it should have been but made it out clean.  But I really messed up the landing.  Here's the proof of my surf dump.

Awesome video of your crash an burn! I just wish my wife wasn’t looking while I played it. “I thought you said they cannot tip over” Oops.

Just bad timing I guess. Lol  I’m glad you’re ok. I never understood why people take the drive out. Why is that? I always feel like I have more control with it in.

Posted (edited)

Funny thing because I got trashed on the way out on that same day on the same beach at sun up. Lost 2 Plano boxes full of goodies. It was my first surf launch. Luckily, my second launch was smooth as well as my landing. Farewell, brand new SP Minnow and Hogy epoxy jigs. R.I.P.

Edited by Dogfisher1

1 hour ago, Dieseldog13 said:

Awesome video of your crash an burn! I just wish my wife wasn’t looking while I played it. “I thought you said they cannot tip over” Oops.

Thanks, hopefully she'll still let you out! LOL

40 mins ago, Pma531 said:

Just bad timing I guess. Lol  I’m glad you’re ok. I never understood why people take the drive out. Why is that? I always feel like I have more control with it in.

Yeah, bad timing.  I thought I let the big sets pass by and a small set was in.  I get impatient waiting.  I take the drive out because if you crash you can destroy the fin masts pretty easy if they are down and if the pedals get crushed into the sand, it a lot of force on the drive well.  Someone else had a nice landing with his drive in shortly after me.  I don't think there is one right or wrong way.  You do have more control with the drive in, but the risk of damage is higher.

39 mins ago, Dogfisher1 said:

Funny thing because I got trashed on the way out on that same day on the same beach at sun up. Lost 2 Plano boxes full of goodies. It was my first surf launch. Luckily, my second launch was smooth as well as my landing. Farewell, brand new SP Minnow and Hogy epoxy jigs. R.I.P.

I'm the guy who walked back to the parking lot with you.  I figured you made it out the second time.  Getting out for me was a bit sketchy but I made it pretty clean.  Good thing too, I had my phone  just sitting in the kayak, it would have joined your Plane boxes had I dumped!

Nice crash man. Must have been hot out there with drysuit. 

52 mins ago, Pma531 said:

I never understood why people take the drive out. Why is that? I always feel like I have more control with it in.

You do have more control, especially in an outback. But for myself and most folks I know they take it out to protect the drive. Crashing with it locked in can easily bend stuff. And if you do't crash, and instead your timing is off you could easily run the fins into the sand and bend your masts (seen this many times, including yesterday).

I've landed with drive in a couple times... but only when the surf worries me more than breaking my drive.

9 mins ago, Pma531 said:

That def makes sense with the drive. Besides the crash landing, how was the fishing? 

Good.  Albies were in.  I got one, but saw lots more.  Also got 4 snapper blues.  Fish were in close. 1/4 mile or less off the beach, but out of surf casting range

the landing with a hobie is not easy. It seems like there is too much forward weight and the slightest thing sends it turning quickly.  It may help to lean back if at all possible to shift weight to the rear.

Check out the Viking kayak videos on their web site on surf landings. They make it look so easy. I never see anyone around here do what they do in the video. Thanks for sharing. I was there  too. Lime green Eddyline c14. 

El clasico

This method of coming back is pure chancing it. A bigger wave comes from behind and you're dunn. To rephrase it, anyone that manages to come back cleanly, in this fashion, in any kind of surf just got lucky that time. Should save the flavor, cause luck aint gonna last.

only way to do it reliably is to come back in reverse.

Use empty beaches and still warm(ish) water to practice it, in an empty kayak

Great share loved the video and glad you’re okay.  You’re dressed right and everything is leashed.  

Where you guys surf launch, is it just beaches for miles? Or are you just trying to shave off travel time to where you want to fish? I haven't surf launched yet but we have a few launches in harbors and inlets around here so I haven't found a need to. From what I've seen it doesn't seem worth the trouble if it can be avoided.