squammer

New Fly Rod Worthwhile for Beginner? Current stick 9WT Gold Cup

41 posts in this topic

The weight differential is inconsequential, its a matter of ounces the price differential is 70 bucks?  Ive owned the clearwater when i got started and I currently use a TFO BVK 8' wt everywhere, i like its heft, it shoots line and feels slow and easy to cast. 

If you have the extra coin I really like the Recon, i have the 6wt for it and would get it in 8 or 9.  I like it more than the Helios I have in 9 and 10.

Bring back the Hydros!

1 hour ago, scooleen74 said:

The weight differential is inconsequential, its a matter of ounces the price differential is 70 bucks?  Ive owned the clearwater when i got started and I currently use a TFO BVK 8' wt everywhere, i like its heft, it shoots line and feels slow and easy to cast. 

If you have the extra coin I really like the Recon, i have the 6wt for it and would get it in 8 or 9.  I like it more than the Helios I have in 9 and 10.

Bring back the Hydros!

I have read that at first Hydrods were built to Helios blanks. I remember thinking when I test one that why I spent double the money to Helios so perhaps it had a Helios blank? Recons are very nice and my facorite SW SH rod is the shortie 7'11'' #10.

I have H1 9ft #10 which I love because it is very light only 3.45oz and I use it for distance competition but won't use for fishing because it can break. I know there is very small if any effect to distance what comes to rod but I can do longer practice sessions with Helios than using heavy rod.

Esa

The hydros was awesome, and it was ushered out right before the Helios, unfortunately I bought a Demo with a big branded D in the handle then sent it through a ceiling fan rigging up indoors (never do that again), couldn't be returned and the replacement costs were very high.  So that led me to the 8' BVK actually.  

After the Hydros the BVK felt like a lego block, but once I adjusted I've come to really like it, its tough, I've had some big stripers on it in fast inlets on a dropping tide and its still going strong.

Posted (edited)

So I just reached out to Scott at Bears Den to schedule a casting lesson. Rates are actually very reasonable but I am going to have to give up an entire day. Time to bite the bullet!

Satisfied there HT?  :)

I would not be surprised if I didn't walk out the door with a new rod afterwards... 

Edited by squammer

7 mins ago, squammer said:

So I just reached out to Scott at Bears Den to schedule a casting lesson. Rates are actually very reasonable but I am going to have to give up an entire day. Time to bite the bullet!

Satisfied there HT?  :)

I would not be surprised if I didn't walk out the door with a new rod afterwards... 

Yep  :)

You'll probably be paired with Sheila Hassan and her husband Bill Hassan (Bill posts on these forums).  Can't list their website but it's Cast90 and then web lingo.  Great teachers.    I bought lessons for both my wife & daughter with Scott (so I wouldn't have to !).     Both the wife & my daughter thought they did a great job and really enjoyed the class.

HT

PS:  Scott shop is low pressure.   Great shopping experience with very knowledgeable folks working there.

On 10/3/2018 at 9:22 PM, squammer said:

Yeah this is probably the right thing to do... It will take an entire day though

Squammer I have a Gold Metal, 2 piece 7 Weight.  It is a Penn Product.  they havent produced any flyrods since the mid 1990's.  The Gold Metal Fly rods have a fast action and are fun to cast.

23 hours ago, RJ said:

Squammer I have a Gold Metal, 2 piece 7 Weight.  It is a Penn Product.  they havent produced any flyrods since the mid 1990's.  The Gold Metal Fly rods have a fast action and are fun to cast.

The rod I’ve got is a Gold Cup GC909 9/10 WT and, upon further inspection, looks like is manufactured by Offshore Angler.

Update:

I bought a used Sage Method 909-4 9 WT from a user here in the classifieds to try out. I figure it's a ~$100 way of trying a modern rod out. Got a new Hydros SL IV reel coming for it as well. We'll see how it goes...

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, squammer said:

Update:

I bought a used Sage Method 909-4 9 WT from a user here in the classifieds to try out. I figure it's a ~$100 way of trying a modern rod out. Got a new Hydros SL IV reel coming for it as well. We'll see how it goes...

you are going to regret that....

So the rod is actually a Sage Motive, not Method. Whatever. Either way, WOW -- it casts like a dream.

My old rod doesn't flex, so it's nice to let the rod flex and help with the cast. I am casting 10000% better. I just worry that it doesn't have the power for bigger stripers... Compared to my old rod, the Sage 9 weight feels like a 5 weight. It casts great and line shoots off the ground and the pile of line at my feet disappears in no time, but it just feels flimsy. 

I'll see how it performs with a striper on it tomorrow after work!

On 10/14/2018 at 11:48 PM, squammer said:

So the rod is actually a Sage Motive, not Method. Whatever. Either way, WOW -- it casts like a dream.

My old rod doesn't flex, so it's nice to let the rod flex and help with the cast. I am casting 10000% better. I just worry that it doesn't have the power for bigger stripers... Compared to my old rod, the Sage 9 weight feels like a 5 weight. It casts great and line shoots off the ground and the pile of line at my feet disappears in no time, but it just feels flimsy. 

I'll see how it performs with a striper on it tomorrow after work!

So I caught a 27" fish on this new rod and it definitely bends a lot more than my old rod but it gets pretty stiff for its thickness when the flex gets closer to the butt-end of the rod (when the fish is closer to my feet). I'm really liking it. Also a shorter leader for larger flies has been a lot of help.

1 person likes this