squammer

New Fly Rod Worthwhile for Beginner? Current stick 9WT Gold Cup

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone, I am a new fly-fishing addict. I have caught a bunch of small schoolie stripers this season (my first season) using a rod+reel I bought on craigslist for $100.00. I am wondering if upgrading my rod will benefit me even though I am a novice that really can only cast 30-40 feet with any control. Since this is becoming a real passion, I am into the idea of getting a good rod -- but only if it's worthwhile...

I currently have a 9 foot, 9/10 WT 2 piece rod that says Gold Cup on it near the cork grip. I don't really know the real brand. It's all black color and probably from the early 2000's or maybe even late 90's (total guess). My real is a Scientific Anglers System 2 reel that works fine, although a larger arbor would be nice to faster line pick-up and less line memory coils. I bought some nice striped bass blue intermediate line in a 10 WT for this setup and it's been great. I fish for Striped Bass off my 15' center console boat in the North Shore of MA area (Gloucester, Ipswich, Essex, Marblehead, etc) as well as off friends' boats in the cape when I get down there (Brewster flats, Monomoy flats, other Chatham and Orleans areas). I also occasionally fish from last off docks, etc. My best success has been casting into incoming tide rush moving water at night using Tabory black snake fly but I also cast deceivers and clouser minnows.

Focusing on the rod at this point (and not reel quite yet), would a newer rod with updated technology be of any real benefit to me? I was hoping to keep the rod price in the sub-$500 range and I am open to used gear. I can't help but be interested in the lower price range rods like Orvis Clearwater as well. 

Casting lessons are planned for also, so it's not a matter of paying X for a rod when it could go to lessons. I am already going to do some lessons and I already understand this. 

Focusing on the rod at this point (and not reel quite yet), would a newer rod with updated technology be of any real benefit to me as a novice or is the newer rod technology just marketing and very minor improvements?

Edited by squammer

Greetings. You started a similar thread at the end of July here - there were excellent suggestions in that thread :th:

Posted (edited)

40 mins ago, TimS said:

Greetings. You started a similar thread at the end of July here - there were excellent suggestions in that thread :th:

I was wondering about that. I tried searching and didn't find it. I apologize as a newbe, but how do I search for that? EDIT: I found it in my user profile. Thanks! 

I believe my question here in this thread remains unanswered though and unique from the prior thread -- is my Gold Cup rod worth upgrading?

Edited by squammer

IMO Orvis Clearwater rods are very good buys. They are very light in their price and lighter than few very expensive rods. I have 9ft 8wt which I used for distance casting long belly WF5F but it eventually broke but I was casting very powerful style. It looks like the leg of the first stripper was left sharp and blank eventually broke there so now I should test Orvis warranty which should be good. I have test cast few other Clearwater rods too and they have been very nice.

Esa

25 mins ago, crunch said:

IMO Orvis Clearwater rods are very good buys. They are very light in their price and lighter than few very expensive rods. I have 9ft 8wt which I used for distance casting long belly WF5F but it eventually broke but I was casting very powerful style. It looks like the leg of the first stripper was left sharp and blank eventually broke there so now I should test Orvis warranty which should be good. I have test cast few other Clearwater rods too and they have been very nice.

Esa

Thanks Esa! This is what my gut tells me will be my next rod (unless I can find a used Recon?)

I just noticed the buy-sell thread on this forum which I am going to watch. There is a custom rod listed now for $275.00 but I can't chime in because I don't have enough posts yet...

So my .02 would be for the 9/10 keep the Gold Cup. That's the house brand for WorldwideAnglers, I think now Bass Pro which I guess is now Cabelas (huh?). If I were you and was going to add a new rod I'd add an 8 weight. I fish a lot of the same water as you and use the 8 way more than my 9. The 8 can be a good backwaters rod and the 9/10 is good for your boat. Then you can either search out a new spool for your SA reel or if you're into the Clearwater rod just get the reel that matches it (keep it rinsed). 

1 min ago, stormy monday said:

So my .02 would be for the 9/10 keep the Gold Cup. That's the house brand for WorldwideAnglers, I think now Bass Pro which I guess is now Cabelas (huh?). If I were you and was going to add a new rod I'd add an 8 weight. I fish a lot of the same water as you and use the 8 way more than my 9. The 8 can be a good backwaters rod and the 9/10 is good for your boat. Then you can either search out a new spool for your SA reel or if you're into the Clearwater rod just get the reel that matches it (keep it rinsed). 

Very interesting perspective actually... Thanks. So the 8 WT would be better than 9 WT in backwaters like shallow rivers, off docks, etc? Better due to it being lighter?

1 hour ago, squammer said:

I was wondering about that. I tried searching and didn't find it. I apologize as a newbe, but how do I search for that? EDIT: I found it in my user profile. Thanks! 

No worries, just letting you know there was a question you asked that folks responded to...generally if something is important enough to register here so you can ask you might wanna know how folks answered :)  Another way to keep track - when you start a thread check the box to let you know if folks respond :)  In any thread you are interested in - at the top of the page (on mobile) - or the bottom of the page (on desktop) - click "Follow" - you'll be notified if/when anyone responds :th:

TimS

10 mins ago, squammer said:

Very interesting perspective actually... Thanks. So the 8 WT would be better than 9 WT in backwaters like shallow rivers, off docks, etc? Better due to it being lighter?

For me lighter is better because I have a bad elbow and just recently started having arthritis issues, the 8 is a lot easier on my body. I can cast it just as far in the wind with up to a 1/0 deceiver and it'll handle 90% of what I actually catch. Plus it's good for largemouth, the shad run, etc. In the backwaters it's often schoolies; a gurgler on an 8 weight can make that fun whereas a 9/10 is really overkill.

14 mins ago, TimS said:

No worries, just letting you know there was a question you asked that folks responded to...generally if something is important enough to register here so you can ask you might wanna know how folks answered :)  Another way to keep track - when you start a thread check the box to let you know if folks respond :)  In any thread you are interested in - at the top of the page (on mobile) - or the bottom of the page (on desktop) - click "Follow" - you'll be notified if/when anyone responds :th:

TimS

Thanks Tim!

11 mins ago, stormy monday said:

For me lighter is better because I have a bad elbow and just recently started having arthritis issues, the 8 is a lot easier on my body. I can cast it just as far in the wind with up to a 1/0 deceiver and it'll handle 90% of what I actually catch. Plus it's good for largemouth, the shad run, etc. In the backwaters it's often schoolies; a gurgler on an 8 weight can make that fun whereas a 9/10 is really overkill.

I like this. I will consider it although I will be honest that it runs contrary to my preference of having too much stuff. I am into cameras as well and hate having to think of "now which camera is right for this trip?...". Ideally I would have 1 rod for everything salt-water but I totally get where you're coming from with this.

Best rod around 200 imo is the Orvis Clearwater. If you can wait till the end of this season it should be even cheaper because they are releasing an updated version. 

Best reel around 200 is probably a Danielsson lw 7ten.

You can save on lines by buying OBS heads from rio and then using your preferred running line, although using that on a boat may be problematic. 

https://vimeo.com/237281424 this is the best casting lesson online. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, bobtheflounder said:

Best rod around 200 imo is the Orvis Clearwater. If you can wait till the end of this season it should be even cheaper because they are releasing an updated version. 

Best reel around 200 is probably a Danielsson lw 7ten.

You can save on lines by buying OBS heads from rio and then using your preferred running line, although using that on a boat may be problematic. 

https://vimeo.com/237281424 this is the best casting lesson online. 

Sweet, thanks!

I’m just going to wait for the new Clearwater in January and get that most likely. Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by squammer

Squammer, I'm a west coast saltwater fly guy on a budget. Like Stormy, I have joint issues and recently got myself an Echo 11' 6w switch rod for 2-hand casting, which helped me a lot. Echo has great customer service and I think they make some of the best rods in the lower-end range. (under $200) My reel is the newer Pflueger Medalist 7/8 (I love clickers--no drag to fail) and my lines are Airflo. I find Airflo to be more durable than the other big names. I think that one can fish a non-saltwater reel if you protect it with Boeshield or WD40 and always rinse it. Of course, you can buy better rods and reels for more money... but I don't think you can buy better ones for under $200. Monitoring the Classifieds on this and other fly forums is a good idea, I got my reel brand new that way, for a low price.

Maybe I'm all wet but if with your current rod you're only throwing 30 to 40 feet wouldn't your money be better spent on fly casting lessons?   I would think that even with even a crappy rod you should be able to make better casts than that.

Once you've mastered a more efficient cast you'd be in a better position to visit a local fly shop to test cast and select a rod better suited to your everyday needs.

Just say`n......

HT