UncleJohn

October 2018 Fishing Reports

474 posts in this topic

58 mins ago, Danny1199 said:

It's a hike, for sure. 

I only put the waders on to make that hike when the water temps drop below 60. Otherwise I'm dripping in sweat. 

Remember the Red ball wader days?

You'd sling the waders over your shoulder and make the hike, swap your sneakers for the waders at the sign

You always could tell how crowded it was based on the number of sneakers there

Posted (edited)

Got out yesterday afternoon, northern Moco in the back. Really put in some time and casts and couldnt raise one. Schools of small peanuts everywhere.  a couple of cocktail blues harrasing them later on..that was is it. 

Edited by joefishnj21

9 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Remember the Red ball wader days?

You'd sling the waders over your shoulder and make the hike, swap your sneakers for the waders at the sign

You always could tell how crowded it was based on the number of sneakers there

Mine were the older Converse waders........heavy but warm.....now it's breathables until temps. drop .....then it's my new L.L. Beans.

12 hours ago, adoboboy said:

I dunno if the death march is what I think it is in Moco, but I tried to go that route over the weekend at around 3am to  put my pass to good use (witching hour they say), I walked and saw a little something in the bunkers/gates  on the right and decided it was not worth it.  Yes, it was most likely my imagination, but given my lack of speed and stamina, I decided to head out back instead. go ahead flex your internet muscles, my heart would not have made that stupid trek. Its hard enough to run, but in waders and sand, F all of it, may that lady be happy and rest in peace.

Never did that specific walk at night but I’ve done a few from beaches further south and had to walk the roads/bike path back to my car. I had a deer crash across the bike path I was walking in pitch black and almost s*$&t my waders.

but I remember getting lost in the black hole of old threads here and saw stories of a ‘woman in white’ out there and thought they were just trying to scare guys off the spot but I guess it’s legit?

Posted (edited)

She's there along with the mosquitoes ............

Kingfish, OC...........

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

I hate that walk.  The worst part is when Im feeling excited amd decide to take walk further south.  I always curse myself on the way back.

24 mins ago, igomez said:

I hate that walk.  The worst part is when Im feeling excited amd decide to take walk further south.  I always curse myself on the way back.

It is considered an off week if you have only done the "Death March" four times!

" Its got to be the going, not the getting there.. that's good" Harry Chapin

did that walk middle of the night on a new moon a few weeks ago with Scabelly, we completely lost our bearing and took us 20 min to find where to cut across to get back to the parking lot.

Got caught out there when a thick fog rolled in, must have walked back end and forth for an hour along the treeline to find the trail entrance.

And the mosquitoes !!

Jeff Morris (RIP) and I had parked at the corral over by D lot and fished our way all the way around the end to the Bug Light.  Mosquitoes were savage that night, we went through an entire bottle of Cutter, I think they were making cocktails out of it.

Took the fisherman's trail back out which meant we had to walk through the huge expanse of K lot back to our cars. It was only a season or so after the bird people got them to close down the majority of the lot so we were walking through knee high grass. By the time we were 1/4 of the way through we were running for our lives. I looked over and Jeff looked like Tom in the Tom and Jerry cartoon with the bee's. He had a black V shaped cloud of them right behind him, I did too. Never slowed down just screamed "See Yah" as we leaped into our trucks, waders, bags, rods and all (broke down the rods while running full speed) I slammed the door shut and the door and the window outside was covered in mosquitoes

I'm not even exaggerating a little, worst fishing trip ever, and we even caught fish 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Actually that's not true

Worst trip ever was in the kayak in shorts and sleeveless t-shirt in Tuckertown lake. The green flies found me all the way up the creek at the dam /highway.

By the time I paddled back to the parking lot my arms and legs were covered with blood drops

HATE those effin things

Edited by Sudsy

15 hours ago, adoboboy said:

I dunno if the death march is what I think it is in Moco, but I tried to go that route over the weekend at around 3am to  put my pass to good use (witching hour they say), I walked and saw a little something in the bunkers/gates  on the right and decided it was not worth it. 

What did your mind imagine it saw?

I made the walk twice in one day last week.

walked out at 6 am fished till 1 pm walked out, drove out of the park to another spot on the bay, fished for an hour. Went to Sea Bright had a late lunch and went back with hopes that the tide change had made the difference. Made the walk again and stuck it out to 6:30 without a hit.

The Halloween Blitz we had a few years back at Monmouth I'd just walked out caught a short on the first cast and got the call it was going off at Monmouth, instantly turned and walked / ran back to the car in 11 minutes. It took another 13 minutes to drive to Monmouth and still got 2 hours of non stop catching.

Walking never stopped me from the possibility of catching.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Got caught at spermecceti cove one spring morning, was bailing fish, knew I had to get out of there before the sun came up because of the mosquitos, but the Fishing was too good. Soon as it started to get light out it was like a cloud of mosquitos came out of the trees, never ran so far and so fast in my life, my head and arms looked like I had chicken pox by the time I made it to the car.

Edited by IsmailG

Posted (edited)

I told ya Mosquitos...............we've tried everything on that walk, even the battery run bug devices...they are a rare breed only rivaled by the siting of the lady in White......2 times now, once with a friend along.....he never went back.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal