UncleJohn

October 2018 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

997 posts in this topic

1 min ago, Tug Addict said:

What’d you guys throw when you see mullet jumping? Are you using top water or are you throwing plugs? Asking for a friend...

If i can see the bait breaking the surface then I absolutely start throwing plugs.  I like to start with a smaller swimmer/metal lip, then my little necks worked very slow, then pencils...if the bait is being forced to the top and not really moving left to right much just forced up and balled, then a bucktail or plastic dropped to the floor and worked up may get you in the game...someone else may answer and give you a very different response.  

Tug Addict likes this

23 hours ago, Ripnowell45 said:

Outback tonight for about 20 minutes on my way home. Tide just started to move out and omg is there bait. Big schools of adult bunker stacked. Saw some bigger splashes in the middle of the channel where I can't cast to. No fish for me but it was very nice seeing this much bait. Hopefully some fish come in to feed on them soon

Temps are dropping sooon....im freaking pumped.

Been working a 2-10 so managed to get some fishing in past couple of days. Hit back side from both bay side and hook side this morning. Big heavy incoming tide till about 10. Water flat/glass like.  Covered different areas. Mullet jumping was all the life I saw, well the mosquitoes actually sucked a lot of life out me.  No bass for all the blood loss.

Fished out back 9-10:30. Caught about a dozen up to 25 inches and one big, mean blue.   Bass were stacked up, but not a lot of bait as i've been seeing the last few weeks.  Bass were aggressive. 

33 mins ago, Tug Addict said:

Out front moco 6:15-8:30, light s wind and no great white water where I was but walked up to mullet jumping and some small/medium sized blowups on the surface. Threw all my plugs but nothing they were interested in. Once the sun went down, I got 2 hits - 1 on the bone magdarter which felt strong and 1 on the green hydro minnow which was a weaker hookup but both shook the hook. Looking back, I probably should have thrown some top water poppers.

What’d you guys throw when you see mullet jumping? Are you using top water or are you throwing plugs? Asking for a friend...

SP minnows swimming the same direction as the mullet. 

Tug Addict likes this

15 mins ago, bdawk said:

SP minnows swimming the same direction as the mullet. 

See what im saying.  Can even throw a 125 mag darter and work along...the options are endless...i love to start with a smaller metal lip or surface swimmer...

Tug Addict likes this

moco last two nights with the main intention of scouting. Found some great structure, healthy amount of bait swimming happily, and a few fluke to keep the skunk off my back. If the bait times up with the bass we could have something magical happen.

Jerseypride likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yest afternoon. Back of Moco. Frusturating. Had 2 blow ups and a follow. Bass would not finish. In that sort of hungry state. One of those days. 

Edited by joefishnj21

Skunk this morning.  Had some small bait around and one pod of mullet, but none of it was being chased at all.  Nice water, so a bit disappointing there was nothing around to pull some drag.  Did get a good show with a number of whales breaching off shore on bunker.  Lots of morning color out there too.

October 11, 2018.JPG

Hook 62, richs, OPE and 4 others like this

Fished my favorite rockpile last night for an hour from 7pm till 7:30 pm. Beautiful night. Caught the skunk but it was great being out.

Getting my tackle ready for the colder weather. Spoke with a fisherman while I was leaving that said he caught one short the night before.

1 hour ago, MC55 said:

Skunk this morning.  Had some small bait around and one pod of mullet, but none of it was being chased at all.  Nice water, so a bit disappointing there was nothing around to pull some drag.  Did get a good show with a number of whales breaching off shore on bunker.  Lots of morning color out there too.

October 11, 2018.JPG

that sky is breath taking. great capture!

14 hours ago, Tug Addict said:

A Sparky baby atom in blue swirl is my go to plug during the mullet run !!

Tug Addict likes this

Fished hard both side of the top of the tide last night OC in the back

Still catching the same 21" fish over and over, little bastage has been following me all around the state