UncleJohn

October 2018 Fishing Reports

337 posts in this topic

Its October !!!

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in the appropriate threads. If you have a question about something that would make a good thread on it's own, please start one.

For all of you new to the site, this is how you should make your report. It's up to you how much information you give, but please keep it within the rules and no spot-burning or specific locations.

Out front (oceanfront) or In the back (rivers, bays, and inlets),

Conditions

What you were fishing for,

What you were using,

What you caught. 

You can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The location terms to use are..........
Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other waters north of Raritan Bay.
County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

Hey Fishless, that finger mullet blitz you got into, how many of those little suckers did you land? 

So made the death march this morning for the first time this fall to see what might be happening up there.  Beautiful morning, but the only thing hitting the end of the line was 12 inch blues.  Did see happy mullet swim by and birds were picking off and on the small bait chased by the blues.  After a few hours of that, went back to the car and move south.  Walked to the waters edge and saw a fish flop in the wash.  Thought that was a good sign, but after an hour there all I had to show for it was 1 fat 25 incher.  Don't think I'll make the death march again until the water and air cools a bit more.  Was able to get out this morning sans waders.

DSCF2460.JPG

7 mins ago, Danny1199 said:

Weather forecast has it in the 80s all week and 88 on Thursday lol. 

Insanity. 

Ocean is crazy warm still

1 hour ago, nam1969 said:

Hey Fishless, that finger mullet blitz you got into, how many of those little suckers did you land? 

I hear they are a great fight on a 1 weight. :cool:

2 hours ago, MC55 said:

So made the death march this morning for the first time this fall to see what might be happening up there.  Beautiful morning, but the only thing hitting the end of the line was 12 inch blues.  Did see happy mullet swim by and birds were picking off and on the small bait chased by the blues.  After a few hours of that, went back to the car and move south.  Walked to the waters edge and saw a fish flop in the wash.  Thought that was a good sign, but after an hour there all I had to show for it was 1 fat 25 incher.  Don't think I'll make the death march again until the water and air cools a bit more.  Was able to get out this morning sans waders.

DSCF2460.JPG

The death march is much more pleasant sans waders :)

2 hours ago, MC55 said:

DSCF2460.JPG

I did the death march on Saturday with my waders on.   I was soaking wet by the time I got back to the car ... from sweat ....        got skunked too, just like mostly everybody else 

except for some guys baitfishing for Fluke.   didn't the season already end 

Out front, MoCo, from 1:30-3:30 pm. Beautiful white water, great looking lip along the wash, and the right tide! Only thing missing was fish! Not a bite! South wind didn't help. As others mentioned, the water is WARM! Fished in shorts and barefoot. No death march for me, but did cover a lot of ground! Gulls were in the same place as yesterday. Don't know if they even bothered getting up since then! No bait visible and only two other guys out. Tried my usual spots and a couple that I haven't fished in some time. Doesn't look like water temp will be dropping to much, as forecast is for continued warm weather. Could this be a repeat of 2011, the winter that never was, when we got fish almost every day, from early December into almost end of February? 

Well I guess these bass won't turn on with those temps staying up. Sucks because of the bait hanging around. On vacation in Maryland right now and there is no bait at all. People are saying Florence did a lot of tide push and the bait just vanished. I can only manage sharks to bend a rod trying for redfish. Lost my phone releasing this shark so had to fork out a new one down here. 

IMG_0046.jpg

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

Water is still 70 degrees in Sandy hook bay

I'm reading 73 down here, any Kingfish yet Suds? They are catching 75lb Yellowfin tuna on my local jetty but no Kings or Spot. First time in 17 Years I didn't sign up for the AC Derby.

Stopped looking

Probably should poke around again