Augie1948

Albie Fishing, Setup for Quick Changes of Lures

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I use 15# PowerPro Super Slick with a 24” 25# fluorocarbon leader.

I’ve used quick change swivels when Albie fishing so I can quickly change lures to see what lure type or color is attracting hits.

i was told that the Albies won’t hit with a swivel on your line and that I should directly tie the fluorocarbon leader to the lure. Is this true ?

Is there another lure attachment method that allows for quick changes when Albie fishing ?

Thanks, i look forward to your reply.

Albies, when blitzing, have never been clip shy for me.. when I toss a lure for them I always use a small TA clip... I've landed maybe 50/60 so far this season on a hogy heavy minnow attached by a TA clip to #15 flouro...

However, I get a lot more on the fly than I do on a lure.. and the fly is alway direct tied on a loop knot.. 

It's tough but the ability to change lures quickly is paramount.  I always tied direct to 20 lb flouro but I watched others and saw that a small Tatical Clip works just fine .  I tried multiple lures yesterday and could not have done so without a clip.  I landed some fish so it's not a major deterrent.  Who knows, I might have hooked up more but the flexibility is well worth it.  

Tight lines!

C

Edited by Chunks
Grammar

You could always use a sinker loop at the bottom of your leader that’s big enough to fit your jigs through. But I use a double uni to attach 10’ of 20 lb flouro to the main line then direct tie to jigs.

3 hours ago, Augie1948 said:

Hi,

I use 15# PowerPro Super Slick with a 24” 25# fluorocarbon leader.

I’ve used quick change swivels when Albie fishing so I can quickly change lures to see what lure type or color is attracting hits.

i was told that the Albies won’t hit with a swivel on your line and that I should directly tie the fluorocarbon leader to the lure. Is this true ?

Is there another lure attachment method that allows for quick changes when Albie fishing ?

Thanks, i look forward to your reply.

I always have clips on no matter what species...I also never use Fluoro..20 lb Berkley Big Game and I have caught 20 Albies already this season. Experiment..don’t take anyone’s word for it. There are no absolutes in Fishing.

Not saying a clip will ruin your chances, but I never use one for albies. I tie on a 6’ length of 20lb mono and attach lures with a loop knot. Takes 30 seconds to retie. When the fish are finicky, the clip is one less thing you’ve got to eliminate from the equation. 

Mainline to small Spro Power Swivel to 12lb Fluorocarbon Leader tied directly to lure -  if fish are further ot than 100' or winds are prohubitive. 8 to 9" rod rated 3/8 to 1 oz+. Key is to be able to EASILY load & unload with 1/2 to 1 oz.

My top Lure recommendations are Point Wilson Anchovy Darts in Glow/Silver, Small Crippled Herring/Deadly Dick/Epoxy Jigs/Little Cleos/Swedish Pimples/Albies Snax.

8 wt Fly rod if they're in range, as always brother! Flip Pallot style! Bay Anchovy, Peanut Bunker or SilverSides patterns.

I wonder the same thing.  but like beach glass said when they have the feed bag on its usually fine.  It's when they are cruising looking for a school is when color and hardware need to be spot on. IMO