ThrowinPlugs

Educate me on Reel speeds VS Applications

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hey all, so I've been fishing on and off pretty much for the last 25 years of my life, more hardcore theblast 3 years. I know what I like, what to look for in a rod for what application etc but something I never looked into was reel speeds. Basically I look at it this way; My 3 main reels are a VR200, Penn Slammer 3 and a Saragosa 6000sw. The VR obviously has more torque, and slower retirieve than the other two, with the Saragosa being the complete opposite side of the spectrum being almost a speed demon. The S3 is basically in the middle. Now I notice the VR seems to work bottles poppers etc better but the Saragosa burns them even at a slower retrieve. My question is what type of speed are you looking for between heavy bottle plugs, bucktails, swimmers vs something like tins, metals etc. I'm looking for the 'dummies' guide basically. Thanks for your time.

Don't let anyone tell you there is a IPT or Gear ratio best suited for striped bass fishing.

Lower gear ratios mean more torque as you said.  But some people like that heavy handled feel of a high gear ratio.

Some people find it easier to slow down than speed up....And some the opposite.  

I prefer higher gear ratio reels for the surf or inshore.  But prefer lower gear ratios for freshwater.  

It's whatever works best for you.  

The suicide slow.... "if you think your working your plug too slow.....slow down even more...." retrieve rate can be done with any reel.

4 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Don't let anyone tell you there is a IPT or Gear ratio best suited for striped bass fishing.

Lower gear ratios mean more torque as you said.  But some people like that heavy handled feel of a high gear ratio.

I prefer higher gear ratio reels for the surf or inshore.  But prefer lower gear ratios for freshwater.  

The suicide slow.... "if you think your working your plug too slow.....slow down even more...." retrieve rate can be done with any reel.

^^^ what he said ^^^

16 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

X3

For stripers from the surf, reel speed isn't an issue. The slowest reels and the fastest reels will all likely catch the same fish. If fly rods catch fish, then 30-33 IPT isn't going to be an issue.

Canal guys will say fast reels are better for getting over the final lip to avoid hang ups, but if that was the case, conventional and VS anglers would lose all of their plugs (which doesn't really happen). The only benefit I see is if you are casting to the end of your distance to hit a pod of fish. If you only have 10-15 yards of action and then have to burn in 80+ yards, it is a heck of lot faster with a faster IPT reel.

Posted (edited)

I have no real need for super high speed gears. I prefer power, and most new reels can burn back baits plenty fast for a followup casts and to skip baits back to keep from hanging up

Edited by nfnDrum

With the high speed shimanos and slow retrieve VS reels I own, i just see myself picking up my VS setups more.  Even for Albies.

Personally never felt the need for a high speed retrieve reel and when I did use them, I've always felt like I didnt have enough "torque".

Posted (edited)

23 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Personally never felt the need for a high speed retrieve reel and when I did use them, I've always felt like I didnt have enough "torque".

x 2 ( 4.7 : 1 is to fast for me also )

and why is this stripersonline site pages jumping all over, left right up and down all the time, never to settle

Edited by glos

The only benefit I see is if you are casting to the end of your distance to hit a pod of fish. If you only have 10-15 yards of action and then have to burn in 80+ yards, it is a heck of lot faster with a faster IPT reel.

when fishing surf tournaments it is helpful....

after a cast of plus 150 yards it helps to buzz your line in after a hit or to check your bait.i look for reels in the very high 30’s to 40 plus ipt

On 10/1/2018 at 11:09 AM, Beachglass Guru said:

X3

Hey BeachGlassGrur,

I had a question about silent drag and heard you did a video or a post on how to reverse silent drag on the Van Staal VR to make the clicker and drag louder but couldn't find the thread. Look forward to hearing from you soon, thanks!

In my experience, Reels for bait fishing should be at least 30 inches per crank. Floating lures are ok at 30 inches per crank. Sinking lures over 1.5 onces really need to be around 35 inches per crank. Any slower on a long cast and you can't catch up to the lures fast enough. I'm mostly fishing my slammer 3's at around 38 inches per crank. I do have remind myself to slow down with the lighter stuff. All that being said I would rather crank a fast reel slow, than a slow reel fast.