Pma531

Tsunami Shield 3000 drag problem

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

On 9/30/2018 at 1:12 PM, Desh Sukhdeo said:

I have have problems with this reel as well except with the bigger 5000 size. I use this to snook fish and wrench fish out of heavy cover. On my last trip I had my drag about 75% locked down and the drag slipped and became very choppy and bumpy and I ended up losing the fish. 

You bought a $100 reel to wrench snook out of heavy cover with and you’re surprised it failed? Seems like high expectations for a reel in that price range to me :confused:

I finally called the warranty phone number provided in the reel manual.

I couldn’t tell the name of the company that answered the phone but it wasn’t Bimini Bay or Tsunami.  They did say they do the warranty work.  The guy that answered the phone didn’t sound too sure of himself.  He told me to mail the reel to them and Cameron will resolve the issue.  I would send the reel to an address in Odessa, Florida.

I haven’t sent my reel in yet.  I wanted to check here first.

For anybody that sent their reel in for warranty service, did you send it to Florida?

Thanks

Mike

I sent my reel to the customer service repair place in Florida.  Got it back today.  Only took about a week or so.  Drag works now.  We’ll see how it lasts.

Their service seems good.  They paid for the return shipping cost.

Mike

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm a Tsunami fan and had spent 2 seasons beating on a pair of 5000's that held up pretty well mechanically. I wanted something small to use for schoolies during August daytime beach walks and bought a 3000. It didn't last 6 fish before it literally pooped the bed.  I returned it same day and didn't pick up another one.  For what it's worth, my 5000s have been fine with the exception of the bail losing its tension (solved with bail-less kits)

Edited by EastEndAngler

Guys,a drag system on a spinning reel is the simplest of all braking systems.

It is nothing more than a stack of washers,be it felt or carbon fiber.

These washers are under compression from the drag knob.

If it is herky jerky it needs lube.

Learn how to service your reel.

Bought a Tsunami Shield 4000 six weeks ago; operated fine for about three hours of fishing, then the drag went tits up on me - from fully locked down to no drag at all without turning the drag knob.  I removed the screw in seal and removed the drag washers this morning, I cleaned the ample factory drag grease off the carbon washers (it was factory clean, but I cleaned it anyway) and lubed it with Cal’s Drag Grease).  I took it back out and fished for an hour late afternoon, worked much better but after about 45 minutes it began getting unreliable again - varying degrees of drag without changing the knob setting.  Something else besides maintenance is going on with this reel - assuming some part is out of spec.  OH