Pma531

Tsunami Shield 3000 drag problem

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Hey SOL,

i bought a new Tsunami Shield 3000 earlier this year. It’s the “sealed” version of the 3000. Pretty disappointed with this reel. The drag for me is a disaster. It’s all over the place. I set the drag but it is locked up at first. I have to completely rip/force it free, then the drag will be at the where it should be. One second it’s locked up, next second it slips with zero lbs of drag, the next is normal. I know this is a $100 reel, but come on. 

Anyone else have problems with the drag? And if so, were you able to fix? Any suggestions as to how to fix it would be appreciated.

Edited by Pma531

I purchased the 4000 last month. Sounds like a similar problem. My drag was not smooth and would pulsate when you pulled the line off the reel. I took it back where I purchased it and they replaced the spool and drag knob. No problems since.

I would contact Tsunami and explain the issue. I think they would replace it and if not maybe just a part. The reel has a 1 year warranty and the problem should definitely be covered under it. 

I have have problems with this reel as well except with the bigger 5000 size. I use this to snook fish and wrench fish out of heavy cover. On my last trip I had my drag about 75% locked down and the drag slipped and became very choppy and bumpy and I ended up losing the fish. I would try to contact tsunami and get them to take care of the drag problem. Mine was still under a 30 day store return policy and I ended up taking back to dicks and getting a new one. I have not fished it yet but hope that it will perform better than previously.

Ok. Sounds good. I’ll try to call Tsunami tomorrow. I was drawn to the reel because I do a decent amount of kayak fishing. The drag just makes it difficult. I’ve gone to set the hook on a fish and there is just no drag at all. Lol I’ll let you know how it goes.

I grabbed the 3000 and loved it initially, then after about 20 hours  things started to go. The reel started to freeze and then the bail would close on the cast no matter what.  Obviously got a return without an issue. At 100 bucks i guess it is what it is. The replacement seems to be working fine for now.

I have 2 shield 3000’s. The new one has exactly the same problem as you describe, i.e. no drag the full drag, it’s all over the place.

swapped old spool on new reel and it’s fine.

maybe the newer ones have too many seals that are effecting the drags?

I called the guy in charge of the warranty and left a message. I’m assuming they’ll just swap spools and drag Knob. Sounds common. It’s just annoying AF to fish with.

Edited by Pma531

On 10/3/2018 at 8:25 PM, Pma531 said:

I called the guy in charge of the warranty and left a message. I’m assuming they’ll just swap spools and drag Knob. Sounds common. It’s just annoying AF to fish with.

Hey Pma531 - If you don’t mind me asking, how did this end up?  I have a 4000 with the same drag issue now.  Going to call them tomorrow.

Thanks

Mike

53 mins ago, Sam3631 said:

Hey Pma531 - If you don’t mind me asking, how did this end up?  I have a 4000 with the same drag issue now.  Going to call them tomorrow.

Thanks

Mike

I called the number for the warranty and left a message for the guy detailing what was happening and that I was instructed to call him by Bimini Bay Outfitters. (Which is the info listed on the paperwork for the reel). He essentially told me to go **** myself and never responded. So yea, that’s great. I can give you the information and # I was provided for the guy. Maybe you’ll have better luck.

I ended up catching an Albie and a bunch of bass on it and had the drag screaming! Honestly seems like the drag is smoother now. Maybe I’m just sleep deprived though.

Edited by Pma531

15 hours ago, Pma531 said:

I called the number for the warranty and left a message for the guy detailing what was happening and that I was instructed to call him by Bimini Bay Outfitters. (Which is the info listed on the paperwork for the reel). He essentially told me to go **** myself and never responded. So yea, that’s great. I can give you the information and # I was provided for the guy. Maybe you’ll have better luck.

I ended up catching an Albie and a bunch of bass on it and had the drag screaming! Honestly seems like the drag is smoother now. Maybe I’m just sleep deprived though.

That’s too bad. I’m surprised you had that experience with Tsunami/Bimini Bay.  From what I’ve seen in person, they’re really good about replacing products.