Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Newbie here. Started fishing about 4 years ago, aimlessly. Started understand species and species specific gear this year. I'm pretty happy with my fluke set ups, I'm looking to put together a tog set up with a saltiga 15. Will be fishing long island sound as well as montauk. Will at time need to use sinkers up to 16oz to hold bottom. I haven't done any striper fishing and if I do it might be once or twice this fall (probably using live eels), so my aim is a tog set up that may allow some striper fishing as well. I have a st croix premier musky 7'H 40-80lb. It's nice and light with plenty of strength. I would just rather put together a custom rod, shrink wrap handles, fuji guides, rod color, lightweight, etc... I'm looking at the st croix 2M70MHF as well as the blank from the rod I have. I also saw a custom Calstar GF700-M yesterday that was beautiful (would probably consider the 700-MH). I've also been told about the lamiglas CGBT861MH from the tri flex 7240 I believe. And I've seen some posts on the Seeker Hercules. I know the best way to go about this is to really hold and pull on each rod but there aren't too many places that have each blank in stock. It's a lot of info to take in. Need some advice on which is the best choice based on those parameters.

Thanks

I would look at the rodgeeks xcomp series. I have built a few for people fishing mtk for fluke ,blackfish, and bass (blanks xc733 - xc735). I would think you would want the xc734. Also have built on the seeker hercules and have the lami blank to buiild for someone. The Lami blank to build on currently. I prefer the action on the xcomp's, great bend, incredible power and great tip action for this kind of fishing. I am in mtl frequently this time of year and have the xcomp rods/blanks if you want to check them out. But you should reach out to Billy40 on here to inquire about these blanks. He worked with seeker to design the hercules years ago and more recently with rodgeeks to design the xcomp series, there really is no one that knows more about these blanks

For what you are doing the Rodgeeks XC 734 will handle the sinker weight you are going to be using, and any fish you're going to catch Inshore.

I designed the entire Rodgeeks XC series in 2015, as well as the Seeker Hercules series in 2009. The XC blanks cover a wider range of applications, they are 25% lighter, and if you ant to pull on the blanks, I have a full wall of the entire line up of them in a range of colors in stock in Staten Island

42696337_2232453006773331_2111775105217462272_o.jpg