TheClasp

Beginner Questions Fishing Harbor from Shore

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Ok, I found Schrafft's Pier.  Once I realized you could blow by the 'gate keeper' with just a slow down and a smile I was good.  Actually a very large spread of waterfront.  Spent about an hour with a Rapula lure and did not get a nibble, but will keep it in mind for spring and beyond.  Waiting for my bike to get fixed and then will try inside the Charles river locks.   Only been dabbling under the bridge by the CONVERSE building and haven't gotten squat there.  Forget fishing from the bridge for me, too high.

 

I have some fish finder rigs I may try on a warm sunny day when I can relax and re-tie my swivel and slide sinker after I get hung up and lose more line.  I actually think I am near the end of my spool.  I will have to learn to spool a reel, perhaps a good winter pastime.

Edited by TheClasp
grammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2018 at 4:31 PM, TheClasp said:

Ok, I found Schrafft's Pier.  Once I realized you could blow by the 'gate keeper' with just a slow down and a smile I was good.  Actually a very large spread of waterfront.  Spent about an hour with a Rapula lure and did not get a nibble, but will keep it in mind for spring and beyond.  Waiting for my bike to get fixed and then will try inside the Charles river locks.   Only been dabbling under the bridge by the CONVERSE building and haven't gotten squat there.  Forget fishing from the bridge for me, too high.

 

I have some fish finder rigs I may try on a warm sunny day when I can relax and re-tie my swivel and slide sinker after I get hung up and lose more line.  I actually think I am near the end of my spool.  I will have to learn to spool a reel, perhaps a good winter pastime.

Tried there as well tonight. Total ghost town no fish feeding at all. Over the summer there was definitely some action. I think I'll throw in the towel soon... What kind of fish finder do you have? I think I'll get one for next summer...Time is money....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think fishing the harbor from shore is a unique challenge and takes a little time to develop proficiency in, I’m fairly productive having grown up 2 streets away from the Habah so I have found myself a plethora of very productive areas that hold fish under there own specific set of conditions and almost never see other anglers there.......once you get the pattern figured out for a particular area you’re golden, just know in a place like Boston harbor where you may be in sight of a main road while catching fish I recommend night fishing as i have pulled fish only to all of a sudden have the mob descend upon me, tight lines......John.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 0:06 AM, john1234 said:

I think fishing the harbor from shore is a unique challenge and takes a little time to develop proficiency in, I’m fairly productive having grown up 2 streets away from the Habah so I have found myself a plethora of very productive areas that hold fish under there own specific set of conditions and almost never see other anglers there.......once you get the pattern figured out for a particular area you’re golden, just know in a place like Boston harbor where you may be in sight of a main road while catching fish I recommend night fishing as i have pulled fish only to all of a sudden have the mob descend upon me, tight lines......John.

Well this is encouraging information, but I'm not sure how adept I will be targeting conditions and patterns having only pulled in a handful of baby bonis so far.   I'm more of a day vs. night guy, but any tips on what to be looking for would be appreciated.   I am literally downtown which limits somewhat, but I have started taking drives to Medford, South Boston.   Ideally, I'd find success right here in the city with more insight and experience.

 

Thanks

Edited by TheClasp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bets advice is to get out and fish. Takes time to learn everything, tides/moon/ wind/ ect. Start making a logbook, and youll be able to see some trends. 

 

In the mean time, pick up surfcasting with lures. Tells a  bit about structure, technique lures ect. Itll be good for  a beginner. Ill be rereading over the winter again! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I finally caught my first Striper, and at this time of year no less.   Thanks to many for the tips, suggestions and encouragement.   The weather has been nice last couple days so I ventured out actually going for some Carp, then decided to cast some soft bait before I quit for the day and BOOM.   Now that I have a freshwater license I can venture inside the dams on Charles and Mystic.   This guy came from the Mystic River and was probably keeper size..  He looked healthy as could be and I let him go as the hook was an easy dislodge fortunately right at the tip of the lip.

 

I can't wait to catch these in the spring from beautiful beaches.  I've discovered that is my favorite type of fishing with the sights and sounds, and at moments the world to myself..  


Best in 2019

Striper_HappyNewYear_010219.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheClasp said:

Well, I finally caught my first Striper, and at this time of year no less.   Thanks to many for the tips, suggestions and encouragement.   The weather has been nice last couple days so I ventured out actually going for some Carp, then decided to cast some soft bait before I quit for the day and BOOM.   Now that I have a freshwater license I can venture inside the dams on Charles and Mystic.   This guy came from the Mystic River and was probably keeper size..  He looked healthy as could be and I let him go as the hook was an easy dislodge fortunately right at the tip of the lip.

 

I can't wait to catch these in the spring from beautiful beaches.  I've discovered that is my favorite type of fishing with the sights and sounds, and at moments the world to myself..  


Best in 2019

Striper_HappyNewYear_010219.jpg

Nice fish, you’re hooked now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.