TheClasp

Beginner Questions Fishing Harbor from Shore

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Ok, I found Schrafft's Pier.  Once I realized you could blow by the 'gate keeper' with just a slow down and a smile I was good.  Actually a very large spread of waterfront.  Spent about an hour with a Rapula lure and did not get a nibble, but will keep it in mind for spring and beyond.  Waiting for my bike to get fixed and then will try inside the Charles river locks.   Only been dabbling under the bridge by the CONVERSE building and haven't gotten squat there.  Forget fishing from the bridge for me, too high.

I have some fish finder rigs I may try on a warm sunny day when I can relax and re-tie my swivel and slide sinker after I get hung up and lose more line.  I actually think I am near the end of my spool.  I will have to learn to spool a reel, perhaps a good winter pastime.

Edited by TheClasp
grammer

On 10/13/2018 at 4:31 PM, TheClasp said:

Ok, I found Schrafft's Pier.  Once I realized you could blow by the 'gate keeper' with just a slow down and a smile I was good.  Actually a very large spread of waterfront.  Spent about an hour with a Rapula lure and did not get a nibble, but will keep it in mind for spring and beyond.  Waiting for my bike to get fixed and then will try inside the Charles river locks.   Only been dabbling under the bridge by the CONVERSE building and haven't gotten squat there.  Forget fishing from the bridge for me, too high.

I have some fish finder rigs I may try on a warm sunny day when I can relax and re-tie my swivel and slide sinker after I get hung up and lose more line.  I actually think I am near the end of my spool.  I will have to learn to spool a reel, perhaps a good winter pastime.

Tried there as well tonight. Total ghost town no fish feeding at all. Over the summer there was definitely some action. I think I'll throw in the towel soon... What kind of fish finder do you have? I think I'll get one for next summer...Time is money....

I think fishing the harbor from shore is a unique challenge and takes a little time to develop proficiency in, I’m fairly productive having grown up 2 streets away from the Habah so I have found myself a plethora of very productive areas that hold fish under there own specific set of conditions and almost never see other anglers there.......once you get the pattern figured out for a particular area you’re golden, just know in a place like Boston harbor where you may be in sight of a main road while catching fish I recommend night fishing as i have pulled fish only to all of a sudden have the mob descend upon me, tight lines......John.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 0:06 AM, john1234 said:

I think fishing the harbor from shore is a unique challenge and takes a little time to develop proficiency in, I’m fairly productive having grown up 2 streets away from the Habah so I have found myself a plethora of very productive areas that hold fish under there own specific set of conditions and almost never see other anglers there.......once you get the pattern figured out for a particular area you’re golden, just know in a place like Boston harbor where you may be in sight of a main road while catching fish I recommend night fishing as i have pulled fish only to all of a sudden have the mob descend upon me, tight lines......John.

Well this is encouraging information, but I'm not sure how adept I will be targeting conditions and patterns having only pulled in a handful of baby bonis so far.   I'm more of a day vs. night guy, but any tips on what to be looking for would be appreciated.   I am literally downtown which limits somewhat, but I have started taking drives to Medford, South Boston.   Ideally, I'd find success right here in the city with more insight and experience.

Thanks

Edited by TheClasp

Bets advice is to get out and fish. Takes time to learn everything, tides/moon/ wind/ ect. Start making a logbook, and youll be able to see some trends. 

In the mean time, pick up surfcasting with lures. Tells a  bit about structure, technique lures ect. Itll be good for  a beginner. Ill be rereading over the winter again! 

Well, I finally caught my first Striper, and at this time of year no less.   Thanks to many for the tips, suggestions and encouragement.   The weather has been nice last couple days so I ventured out actually going for some Carp, then decided to cast some soft bait before I quit for the day and BOOM.   Now that I have a freshwater license I can venture inside the dams on Charles and Mystic.   This guy came from the Mystic River and was probably keeper size..  He looked healthy as could be and I let him go as the hook was an easy dislodge fortunately right at the tip of the lip.

I can't wait to catch these in the spring from beautiful beaches.  I've discovered that is my favorite type of fishing with the sights and sounds, and at moments the world to myself..  

Best in 2019

Striper_HappyNewYear_010219.jpg

7 hours ago, TheClasp said:

Well, I finally caught my first Striper, and at this time of year no less.   Thanks to many for the tips, suggestions and encouragement.   The weather has been nice last couple days so I ventured out actually going for some Carp, then decided to cast some soft bait before I quit for the day and BOOM.   Now that I have a freshwater license I can venture inside the dams on Charles and Mystic.   This guy came from the Mystic River and was probably keeper size..  He looked healthy as could be and I let him go as the hook was an easy dislodge fortunately right at the tip of the lip.

I can't wait to catch these in the spring from beautiful beaches.  I've discovered that is my favorite type of fishing with the sights and sounds, and at moments the world to myself..  

Best in 2019

Striper_HappyNewYear_010219.jpg

Nice fish, you’re hooked now.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ok, I have learned much about the gear, the rigs, etc. thanks to many of you.   But I'm unclear on live baits and the lures that imitate them.  Does anyone have a matrix of bait and what lures imitate them?  If I were fishing NJ or RI shore in May, what bait should I be simulating?   I am still keeping it simple and not going to bait shops for live bait as I don't really want the hassle and stink :).   Perhaps that will change as I learn the ropes.

Bait:

Sand Eels

Bunker

Smelt

Mackerel

Porgy

Sand Worms

Shrimp

Lures:

SP Minnow

Rapala

Bombers

Darters

Gibbs Pencils

Soft Plastic Fork Tails

Soft Plastic Paddle Tails

Kastmaster

Bucktails

name others please...

Thanks

Edited by TheClasp

sluggos

hogys

superstrike littlenecks and bottles

needlefish

metal lips

epoxys

jigs 

Metals like

kastmasters

point judes

diamond jigs

Theres a million  lures

They all are ideal for certain things. Use big fat metal lip swimmers when big pogies are around, use needlefish when small thin profile baits are around. Sand eels, diamond jigs would work.

Go for size and profile first, then color second. Some guys dont dive into color any more then white and black for day/night. Good rule of thumb is dark at night, light in the day. 

Bait varies alot by time of year/locations. best to ask whats around if you cant tell. Maybe you catch a fish on a blind cast and its spitting up sandeels while you take a picture, that gives you a good idea to go for a thin style lure

Would some of you help me out with metal lure distinction.   I see some attractive lures but they all look similar to me.  I am not sure what is best in Boston Harbor/Quincy/Winthrop/Revere - harbor/beach fishing spring vs. summer vs. fall.  I know these simulate bait, but not clear what I should be simulating.

They are labeled jigs but they are sinking metal lures to me.  Plugs?

1.  Sand Eel Jigs 4.5" - 5"

2.  Herring Jigs 4.5 - 5"

3.  Peanut Jigs  2.,5" to 3.5"

4.  Help me out, what else?

Thanks Much..

Edited by TheClasp

Well, I guess its not too early to be catching these.   Got this one this morning 2 hours past high tide.   Do you think this a new arrival or a Holdover?  This guy fought like the dickens, unlike the lethargic January Striper.   What a fluke that was (pardon the pun) 

Now I know what everyone is talking about :) 

IMG_1520.JPG.f573d8c12b43c31b62cd85ef6f347023.JPG

Probably a holdover but keep at it late may and especially June are great months to find fresh fish! That thing that makes fishing the salt so special is no two days are the same and usually there is a surprise in store and hard work is rewarding! 

On 3/10/2019 at 3:03 PM, TheClasp said:

Ok, I have learned much about the gear, the rigs, etc. thanks to many of you.   But I'm unclear on live baits and the lures that imitate them.  Does anyone have a matrix of bait and what lures imitate them?  If I were fishing NJ or RI shore in May, what bait should I be simulating?   I am still keeping it simple and not going to bait shops for live bait as I don't really want the hassle and stink :).   Perhaps that will change as I learn the ropes.

Bait:

Sand Eels

Bunker

Smelt

Mackerel

Porgy

Sand Worms

Shrimp

Lures:

SP Minnow

Rapala

Bombers

Darters

Gibbs Pencils

Soft Plastic Fork Tails

Soft Plastic Paddle Tails

Kastmaster

Bucktails

name others please...

Thanks

These are some of my favorite threads:

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/647977-metal-from-tins-to-jigs-to-casting-spoons-everything-you-need-to-know/

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/639595-best-herring-imitations-how-you-fish-them/

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/639218-best-bunker-imitations-from-peanut-to-full-sized-how-you-fish-them/

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/640007-favorite-mackerel-luresplugs-how-you-fish-them/

Definitely take a look at the CBST as well, good options there for bucktails, metals, plastics from the Tinman.

Edited by Searobin