TheClasp

Beginner Questions Fishing Harbor from Shore

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Thanks for info.  I have many more lures and rigs now in my arsenal.   I've returned 4 days to same spot I caught the 'juvenile bonito', and have not had a nibble since.  For locals, what spots can walk or I ride my bike to from the North End to cast out without hassles?  If I head towards the dam can I fish from ground level rather than bridge?  (Not sure I have enough line left after all the tangles)   How about other side of dam in Charles River inside the locks?   Would any fish over there strike these salt water lures I am using?  What adjustments should I make if viable in October?

It seems harbor fishing is all timing right?   In my first 30 casts I caught something, and I am thinking I have a distorted sense of expectations :)  

Edited by TheClasp
clarity

Congrats. You are now addicted. Hope you have plenty of $$$$. Next you will continue to purchase lures. Lots of lures. Metal. Jigs. Poppers. Swimmers. And more. You will need cool things to store all this expensive collection in. Spring you will pick up a new rig. Probably 6 or 800$. Go get em buddy and tight lines. 

Haha hes hooked!

Start exploring, google maps is your friend. Best advice i can give you is read up during the offseason. learn learn and learn some more and youll be golden. Good book to start at is surfcasting with lures by Zeno something. 

In the meantime, theres a pier on the charlestown side near the dam that you should check out. If you make a quick trip down 99, theres a pir behind the schraftts building that guys have had luck at- im 0-5 there personally but i moved down a ways and found good luck so theres fish there.

Welcome to the club

Edited by gulino12
SP

4 mins ago, shark lobster said:

Next time u catch a bonito stick a hook thru  his back and let him swim around see if you get a hit!

Yup. As was stated in another thread, they are the new mackerel. Except they wont hang around for much longer.

These 'juvenile bonitos' seem to love the 4" Rapala slash lure.   I am noticing best time is 'any' so long as not dead high, or dead low.  Perhaps just antidotal but between tides I nearly always catch at least one.  This has been a blast, but all this casting and bouncing up and down on the floating docks is causing me some balance issues / dizziness.  It is now mid-October.  I want to switch gears and do some bottom fishing with sinker, live or fake bait cast out 60-80 feet from harbor walk.  This way I can sit there and relax and wait for the fish to come to me,  while I enjoy the sites, sounds, and respond to work emails :)  

How should I go about this and what might I catch in October?  Should I use a flounder rig, other, fake sand worms or shrimp, or just a hook, sinker and live bait?   Should I use small hooks and go for little stuff, or big hooks, and what bait?   Frozen?

Edited by TheClasp

The bones are still here, and they are pretty aggressive. @TheClasp next time you get a bone, chunk it up and put it on a hook with a weight a foot or so away and toss it back. Iv never seen bones up here so im not sure anything will eat it  but i have to assume they will. Look up fishfinder rig, good chuckin setup. You can make your own as well fairly easy

Bonito1.jpg

Bonito2.jpg

I haven't caught any in several days thinking they had skedaddled.   Bottom fishing was a disaster getting snagged up and losing lots of line and rigs.  In my fresh water life I would use a bobber to avoid this garbage.   I assume that is not recommended for Harbor fishing.   When you say sinker and a hook, do I just toss it and let it sit on bottom?   Or do I reel it in?   

I appreciate the feedback.  Going to get some fishfinder rigs..

Edited by TheClasp
spelling

Back when I fished near the harbor (Quincy Bay actually), we'd float seaworms under a bobber. Maybe 2-3 ft under it. This was in the spring and we'd usually do it in river or estuary outlets on the dropping tide. Pretty deadly technique. Not sure how well this would work at this time of year, but it's another option.

Lots of things to snag over there. 3 weeks ago i snagged and was able to tactfully pull up a 3 foot long, 1/2" diameter steel rebar section (as i had my surf rod- i dont recommend trying this).... Tip, if you snag DO NOT try and use your rod to free yourself- it will snap and youll be upset (look up highsticking). Just point your rod at the and max out the drag and give steady, strong pull- you'll either unsnag or more likely snap your leader. Second hint, make sure your leader is rated less than your main line so you know where it'll break

Theres plenty of good fishfinder rig videos on Youtube. This rig will allow the bait to stay in one place, 1-2 feet above the bottom while remaining in one place. The added benefit of the fishfinder is the fish will grab your bait and not feel the resistance of your line as it flows freely through the weight guide. Then you can "set the hook" and youll have let him swallow enough (3ish seconds of running) to not spit out when he feels the hook. Be careful of the sinker you use in that area, as youll be more apt to snag depending on the design of the sinker. Ie bank vs pyramid- Some you want to dig in, others youd like to roll over weeds/trees ect. All depends on current/ debris and your goal.  

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:19 PM, gulino12 said:

Haha hes hooked!

Start exploring, google maps is your friend. Best advice i can give you is read up during the offseason. learn learn and learn some more and youll be golden. Good book to start at is surfcasting with lures by Zeno something. 

In the meantime, theres a pier on the charlestown side near the dam that you should check out. If you make a quick trip down 99, theres a pir behind the schraftts building that guys have had luck at- im 0-5 there personally but i moved down a ways and found good luck so theres fish there.

Welcome to the club

I could not find the place by the SCHRAFFS Center.  I found the spot behind Assembly Row.   It said you needed a parking sticker but the auto tote parking kiosk was turned off.  It is OK to park there for free?  It looked desolate.  Today is 10/12/18.  How many more days to still catch stuff inside Harbor or the inlets? 

Edited by TheClasp

Yeah you can park there. Usually they’ll be a few cars. Scrafts has a pier going out into the water, surprised you missed it. 

As for how long, good question. Seems the bigger bass have already left. Lots of schoolies left though, should be fun for you to catch