TheClasp

Beginner Questions Fishing Harbor from Shore

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I am brand new to the forum and I am pumped.   I fished nearly every day in Ohio as a kid on lakes for Large Mouth Bass mostly.   I then moved East for College and really haven't fished since.   I now live on Boston Harbor and on my morning walks I started seeing some people fishing.  An article in the paper showed a father/son pulling in a large stripper right out my back door just this month (Sept).   So, I went online, got a fishing license, got a well reviewed but cheap Sea Striker Rod/Reel combo, 20 lb. test, bought a couple lures well rated for Strippers.  But now I realize I have no clue about salt water fishing in the Harbor

I have many questions if some of you could answer.

Am I too late for 2018?   Realistically when is it time to pack it in and wait for spring?

Do you have to fish at dusk or dawn or can I give it a go in the middle of the day?

Do I have to fish a certain tide?   ex.  Only tide coming in or near peaking?

Do I need a steel leader?   I am only using lures to keep it simple.

The lures don't appear that heavy to allow long range casting?   Is there a trick to weighting lures?   I have a Rapala Slashbait 3" and a Dr. Fish big 6".  Do you use bullet weights or other?   Seems weights could interfere with lure action so maybe I should not use them?

Can I fish from North End/Waterfront wharfs, or up by the bridge (locks), or elsewhere.   I would like to walk everywhere with a small tackle box and my 8' pole.

Sorry so many questions but I am as green as can be.   I like catching small stuff too, just want to get back in the game after 30 years (YIKES). 

Thanks Much

Edited by TheClasp
clarity, typos

I’ll try to answer your questions but first thing first stripers get caught with lures and bait and strippers ......well it’s best to stick to cash. 

1 it is definitely not too late, fish will be pushing through well into November but admittedly the fishing will slow way down by then

2 fall is great because midday blitzes are much more likely to occur. My best advice for fall is just to go when you can. 

3 again fish when you can but certain spots may only be fishable at high tide. That said there are also many good low water spots as well. That is for you to figure out by trial and error. 

4 fish steel only when you know bluefish are in the area. Don’t use one for 98% of harbor fishing.

5 don’t put weight in front of most lures. Buy a sp minnow. A Gibbs pencil, a couple swim shads and a Hopkins no-Eql. We could talk lures for days buy these four first and throw them as best as your setup allows

6 you can fish from all those places until you can’t if you know what I mean. Be stealthy and don’t leave a mess and you won’t have a problem 

7 welcome to Sol and you owe us a joke. 

Welcome bud.....Lots of nice peps on this site......Get ur posts up 2 15 so you can use the PM function.

On the strippers.....The only place on the cape I know of is Zacherys in Mashpee and don't go wade fishing in truro or wellfleet......

How did the guy from Ohio die drinking milk?-The cow fell on him.

Two guys from Ohio are walking in the woods, and one says, "Look, a dead bird". The other guy looks up and says "Where?".

Just a couple of jokes-you can insert anyplace for Ohio. 

Welcome to Mass.

As far as stippers, the old Combat Zone is long gone.

Walmart should have SP minnows, great lures, cast well, only downside is you need to swap out the cheap stock hooks with some proper hooks. If you dont want to do this look at the yo zuri hydro minnow lures, similar to the SP minnows but the stock hooks are better. Lighter color lures for the day, black or blurple for night. I would also grab a deadly dick tin, #1 or #2 long, these are great casting lures if the fish are further out. You can catch fish anytime of the day this time of year, fishing at night typically yields better results but isn't for the uninitiated. Check out your spots during the day so you know what to expect at night. 

17 hours ago, bumknee said:

How did the guy from Ohio die drinking milk?-The cow fell on him.

Two guys from Ohio are walking in the woods, and one says, "Look, a dead bird". The other guy looks up and says "Where?".

Just a couple of jokes-you can insert anyplace for Ohio. 

Welcome to Mass.

As far as stippers, the old Combat Zone is long gone.

Mercy, I don't think I have told a joke in my entire adult life.  I guess that's because I am so naturally funny, hilarious, a true cutup for sure.  :)   Rather than appropriating someone else's humor, hopefully over time my quips and quick wit will add some levity to the otherwise hard hitting fishing Q&A banter.   Stay tuned and thanks Gents for the warm welcome and helpful suggestions.

I will share my first experience from the dock shortly.   "Pssss!  I caught me something"

10 mins ago, gulino12 said:

the clasp, check out the boston harbor forum. We have some good details in there youd like. Also, Pm me when your at 15 posts.

I thought that was where I was posting this as I clicked "START NEW TOPIC" from that Forum.   I am still a little lost even seeing where this thread lives.  I don't know if I can move Topic, or link or reference, but the Boston Harbor forum was what inspired me to sign up.  Glad most of the same people saw this nonetheless.

iv'e always done well with small stripers  in october  on blue and silver kastmasters with single bucktail hook and 3 to 4 inch white rubber paddle tails on 3/8 or 1/2 oz. lead head jig hooks.a lot of the piers on the waterfront are accessible. take into consideration you may need a bridge net if you catch something heavy unless you are at one where you can reach down. as far as steel leaders . maybe bring one if you run into bluefish. there are almost no bluefish here this year

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:26 PM, captahab416 said:

Walmart should have SP minnows, great lures, cast well, only downside is you need to swap out the cheap stock hooks with some proper hooks. If you dont want to do this look at the yo zuri hydro minnow lures, similar to the SP minnows but the stock hooks are better. Lighter color lures for the day, black or blurple for night. I would also grab a deadly dick tin, #1 or #2 long, these are great casting lures if the fish are further out. You can catch fish anytime of the day this time of year, fishing at night typically yields better results but isn't for the uninitiated. Check out your spots during the day so you know what to expect at night. 

Thanks.  I stopped by Walmart today after ordering my first couple lures from Amazon, and Walmart was cheaper.  I picked up the Deadly Dick 2, Kastmaster Single Bucktail hook.   They had the SP minnows lots of Rapala's I had success with my first time out.   I saw a ripple on the surface 15 feet from dock and cast out my Rapala and immediately hooked a small Mackerel 8-9".  

What is this?  "white rubber paddle tails on 3/8 or 1/2 oz., lead head jig hooks?   Are those fake bait you put the hook through yourself?

One more stupid question.  When I was casting from dock a duck popped up over on the other side, one of those diving ducks who submerge for long time and pop back up.   Could those go for fishing lures or bait?  What a 'freaking disaster' that would be.   Do you need to scout for those suckers?  

More than likely i was a baby bonito- probably had teeth right?

The birds are good, shows theres bait. The longer they stay under, the less bait tho! DD and kastmasters are good starters, but try that sp. 

ehh kinda tough to tell with that pic. baby bonito have those kinda vertical lines while they are young so probably. Also more aggressive fish, more likely to have hit that lure. If it had teeth it was for sure, if not its a mac- easy way to tell in the future. I know they were around, bet they leave soon if not already though