Yossarian

Light Tackle Surf Fishing

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

On 9/26/2018 at 6:21 PM, Yossarian said:

I've been doing a lot of bridge, beach and marsh outlet fishing on the bay side of the cape but my Penn Battle combo broke last week and I'm looking to upgrade.  Do "surf" styled rods in lengths of 9' or more exist in low lure ratings like 3/8-3-4 exist?  The only thing I've been able to find are steelhead rods but to my unders tg anding they're usually pretty whippy.

Suzuki black hole 10’ rod.  1/2 oz lures fly like bullets out of it.  Amazing rod!

I wrapped a Rodgeeks 9' 4-8lb Light action salmon blank last winder and used it to fish lures under 1oz and the smaller size cotton cordell pencil popper. Caught a 40" on it which was a riot but setting the hook at any distance was way to much work even with 15lb braid. I'm going to build the 8'6" 6-12lb version of the blank this winter and think it will be perfect for estuaries and early season surf casting off the sand. I too like to go as light as possible but when you start missing fish because you don't have the UMPH to set the hook, it gets old! 

On 9/26/2018 at 6:21 PM, Yossarian said:

I've been doing a lot of bridge, beach and marsh outlet fishing on the bay side of the cape but my Penn Battle combo broke last week and I'm looking to upgrade.  Do "surf" styled rods in lengths of 9' or more exist in low lure ratings like 3/8-3-4 exist?  The only thing I've been able to find are steelhead rods but to my unders tg anding they're usually pretty whippy.

You may want to take a peek at the Arra 1083.........rated 3/8 to 1.5 oz.......i have one and can fire a 3/4 oz. Hopkins Shorty 100 yards on a 4000 Penn Clash and 10 -14 lb. Fireline.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. :th:

On 9/27/2018 at 7:27 PM, Yossarian said:

Actually, century makes a Slingshot in 3/8-1, anyone have any experience with it?

THAT sounds like a nice stick right there............

On 9/27/2018 at 1:18 PM, buddha162 said:

The JDM suzuki rods are exactly what you're looking for. Shimano Dialuna, Daiwa Labrax, and if you want to spend big bucks...the new Shimano Exsence Infinity, Daiwa Morethan etc. Scooby played around with a Tailwalk model, number of other brands make them as well. They are designed to cast freshwater bass-size lures from land, most are mod-fast tapers, a few are true fast. They all weigh in between 4 - 5oz, and personally I think the 2018 Dialuna 9'6ML is a steal at around 230 on fleabay. 

Check out the weight and lure ratings on the Dialuna:

mmmjuyrfd.jpg

ffdssre.jpg

You say they are designed for "freshwater"............will they be able to hold up in the salt?

11 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

You say they are designed for "freshwater"............will they be able to hold up in the salt?

I said they are designed to throw "freshwater-sized" lures (look at the lure ratings). They are used exclusively in saltwater. 

Either way, I've been using "freshwater" rods in saltwater for decades. I don't see any difference in terms of corrosion etc. 

8 mins ago, buddha162 said:

I said they are designed to throw "freshwater-sized" lures (look at the lure ratings). They are used exclusively in saltwater. 

Either way, I've been using "freshwater" rods in saltwater for decades. I don't see any difference in terms of corrosion etc. 

Gotcha........:th:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yeah being overpowered sucks! 

Edited by jeffapeikin
Removed quilt and original post Yeah I am a proud owner of 3 11’ rods that begin at 3oz. I think I could have just went with some medium heavy power 9’s or 10, 10-6. I try to keep a hefty reel like my own 706 z strapped up and healthy for the bigguns.

10 hours ago, Reed422 said:

Light tackle fishing makes me cringe after losing some big fish when I thought only small stuff was around.

Yup this, the pain is real

On 10/11/2018 at 0:59 PM, yogiiiboy said:

Problem is what hooks are you using.  You'll never get consistent hook sets with 4x vmc's or most bucktails.  With or without barbs.

And punching into the wind.

Get a big sweep regardless of wind or wave action and you might as well not even make a cast and grab a normal rod.

19 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Problem is what hooks are you using.  You'll never get consistent hook sets with 4x vmc's or most bucktails.  With or without barbs.

Yeah freshwater sized lures, freshwater gauge hooks lol...