Yossarian

Light Tackle Surf Fishing

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

The JDM suzuki rods are exactly what you're looking for. Shimano Dialuna, Daiwa Labrax, and if you want to spend big bucks...the new Shimano Exsence Infinity, Daiwa Morethan etc. Scooby played around with a Tailwalk model, number of other brands make them as well. They are designed to cast freshwater bass-size lures from land, most are mod-fast tapers, a few are true fast. They all weigh in between 4 - 5oz, and personally I think the 2018 Dialuna 9'6ML is a steal at around 230 on fleabay. 

Check out the weight and lure ratings on the Dialuna:

mmmjuyrfd.jpg

ffdssre.jpg

I have a Tsunami Airwave Elite ... it's 10.6 but I'd recommend the 8.8 or the 9.6 for you ... pair it with a BG 4000 and you'll have a nice light setup. I have an 8 foot Powerstick from BassPro that is also nice (and cheap ... under $80) that I have with a Penn Conflict 5000, although I'd put the BG 4000 on it for a better pair. If you don't mind spending some more, go with the St. Croix Mojo Surf; a friend let me cast his 9 footer and it was in a different class than the Tsunami.

If you want to throw really light bucktails and plastics, use a casting egg

Posted (edited) · Report post

One of my favorite rods is the Lami Ron Area (or Certified Pro) 1083-2.   I purchased mine used for a fraction of the price.  

You can also look at a Lami GSB1081L 

Edited by tlom285

On 9/27/2018 at 10:18 AM, buddha162 said:

The JDM suzuki rods are exactly what you're looking for. Shimano Dialuna, Daiwa Labrax, and if you want to spend big bucks...the new Shimano Exsence Infinity, Daiwa Morethan etc. Scooby played around with a Tailwalk model, number of other brands make them as well. They are designed to cast freshwater bass-size lures from land, most are mod-fast tapers, a few are true fast. They all weigh in between 4 - 5oz, and personally I think the 2018 Dialuna 9'6ML is a steal at around 230 on fleabay. 

mmmjuyrfd.jpg

ffdssre.jpg

Whoa!.... I like these...Have you used them?... They might be good for SO. CA. light line surf fishing...

Butch

57 mins ago, Midnightpass said:

Whoa!.... I like these...Have you used them?... They might be good for SO. CA. light line surf fishing...

I have the 8'6ML and 9'6M Dialuna, fished with my cousin's 9'M Labrax. They are awesome rods: light, responsive, sensitive. Anytime you're throwing that weight range and not looking for a noodle salmon/trout rod...I think these deserve a look. My 9'6 + 4k ballistic weighs 12.5oz...for the COMBO. 

Labrax has a faster tip action than the Dialunas. They weigh around the same but Daiwa's blank in the Labrax is last gen, though it uses AGS guides. Shimano's Dialuna blanks are hi power and spiral x wrapped...for comparison, they use the same blank tech in their freshwater Expride rods, and those are priced higher than the Dialuna surf rods.

A member here has both the Labrax and Dialuna in 10' heavier powers, and I think he's done some damage with them on bass. So far this year we've been using ours for fluke and weakfish...hopefully albies soon. Plenty of videos on YT with guys landing big Japanese sea bass with these fairy wands too. 

kjjfd.png

nnngfdds.png

31 mins ago, buddha162 said:

I have the 8'6ML and 9'6M Dialuna, fished with my cousin's 9'M Labrax. They are awesome rods: light, responsive, sensitive. Anytime you're throwing that weight range and not looking for a noodle salmon/trout rod...I think these deserve a look. My 9'6 + 4k ballistic weighs 12.5oz...for the COMBO. 

Labrax has a faster tip action than the Dialunas. They weigh around the same but Daiwa's blank in the Labrax is last gen, though it uses AGS guides. Shimano's Dialuna blanks are hi power and spiral x wrapped...for comparison, they use the same blank tech in their freshwater Expride rods, and those are priced higher than the Dialuna surf rods.

A member here has both the Labrax and Dialuna in 10' heavier powers, and I think he's done some damage with them on bass. So far this year we've been using ours for fluke and weakfish...hopefully albies soon. Plenty of videos on YT with guys landing big Japanese sea bass with these fairy wands too. 

nnngfdds.png

I use a Stradic ci4 3000, weighing in at 5oz on a 6.7oz St Croix Legend Elite 9'-6" steelhead rod (That I adore )... My model St Croix is no longer made, so this could be a replacement if the unthinkable happens...

Butch

On 9/27/2018 at 10:18 AM, buddha162 said:

mmmjuyrfd.jpg

ffdssre.jpg

I like the specs on the “S86L-S”...Perfect for flylining sand crabs or ghost shrimp to corbina...Maybe too light for east coast  standards... but for line shy corbina or flatfishing bonefish, it sounds perfect.. Anyone try the light model? $218 on eBay....

Butch

Edited by Midnightpass

Ryan at Hatteras Jack's built me an 8 1/2' SS 1025 a few years ago . Paired it with a 5000 Sustain. It's one of my favorite small tackle set ups. I've thrown 3/8s to 2 oz on it and it will put a 1 oz sting silver way out with little effort. If I see any Mack's in the surf that's the combo you'll see me using. It also doubles as a great walleye rod up here.

Edited by Dsc

3 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

I like the specs on the “S86L-S”...Perfect for flylining sand crabs or ghost shrimp to corbina...Maybe too light for east coast  standards... but for line shy corbina or flatfishing bonefish, it sounds perfect.. Anyone try the light model? $218 on eBay....

Butch

My 8'6ML throws 7 grams w/o issue, anything lighter is not really applicable to my fishing, as you pointed out. How heavy is a hook + ghost shrimp? lol

One thing I'll say is, like most rod ratings...sweet spots are around the middle. You'll naturally put less oomph into your cast as you approach the upper limits of the stated lure ratings...and I've never considered going over. 

The 10’ suzuki by black hole has been great for me. Unweighted soft plastics and 1/2 -1oz bucktails for schoolies bass. And it’s been perfect for long casting 21-35g epoxy jigs at the albies.  Pretty moderate, fights fish great.   And so light it can be fished all day 

I used a 7’6 avid inshore for that exact kind of fishing. Casts every bit as far as my 9ft odm when your talking lighter payloads. 

Im on the fence over the 1083 or a 3/8 to 1 oz Slingshot.  The extra foot of length seems great but does the 1083 cast its lower end rating as well as a rod with a narrower rating?