Yossarian

Light Tackle Surf Fishing

46 posts in this topic

I've been doing a lot of bridge, beach and marsh outlet fishing on the bay side of the cape but my Penn Battle combo broke last week and I'm looking to upgrade.  Do "surf" styled rods in lengths of 9' or more exist in low lure ratings like 3/8-3-4 exist?  The only thing I've been able to find are steelhead rods but to my unders tg anding they're usually pretty whippy.

19 mins ago, Yossarian said:

I've been doing a lot of bridge, beach and marsh outlet fishing on the bay side of the cape but my Penn Battle combo broke last week and I'm looking to upgrade.  Do "surf" styled rods in lengths of 9' or more exist in low lure ratings like 3/8-3-4 exist?  The only thing I've been able to find are steelhead rods but to my unders tg anding they're usually pretty whippy.

I use salmon rods for light loads when distance isn’t an issue. They work just fine.

Check out the Okuma Rockaway surf rods. They have some rated 1/2-2oz that are advertised as surf perch rods. I have an 11' that is a great rod for under $100.

Posted (edited)

I just bought an tsunami airwave elite medium weight in both 11ft and 9ft6in.  The model for the 9 footer is TSAWESS-962M.   I got a strainer muscle after a rotator cuff flare-up, so might be a mo. nth before I can play with her.

Bought the 11ft for myself 1102M.  The place I bought it doesn't advertize weight on it, but I recall 1.5-3oz range.  paid around 190

the 9ft6in is for my girlfriend.  think it's 3/4 to 3oz range.  They have a 1/2 to 2oz .  I paid about 155.  They also make a model in 8ft8in  882m.

The rods I bought were 2 piece and all the guides are on the top piece. 

I bought a penn SSV6500LL for the 11 footer.  I also bought a never used Penn 560L live liner.  A bit smaller than the 6500.  Both are going to have suffix 832 30lb test on it.  Both can take a bit over 300 yards without any mono base.

The 8ft and 10ft ugly sticks I have will be my bait rods for now with one reel with 80lb test and another with 50lb.  

I picked live liners for live bunker in the Hudson River spawn run in april / may.  I like live eels in the fall and I travel to south carolina to fish drum on minnows.

If you need a reel, I am seeing clearance deals in several places on the series 5 spinfisher, both regular and live liner.  Thinking of a 3500 for freshwater / porgy use.  Surf sized models for 100 bucks....

Edited by salt deficient

There’s an avid surf and mojo surf that I believe cover that range. Good question. 

32 mins ago, Skkeeter said:

Check out the Okuma Rockaway surf rods. They have some rated 1/2-2oz that are advertised as surf perch rods. I have an 11' that is a great rod for under $100.

/\ What he said, er, wrote.

I have the 12' Okuma Rockaway, and it is the prefect rod for surf perch here in Washington and Oregon. I didn't need a rod that long to do the job, but I sure wanted it, so there you have it.

If I were to purchase another, I might opt for a 10 footer next time, but it is certainly pleasant to cast with, and makes longer casting easier. I have it paired up with a Penn Fierce II 4000, which looks a trifle undersized on a rod of that length, but works perfectly.

I am not sure if you really meant 3/8 to 3 or 4 oz rod or 3/8 - 3/4 oz rod only because I don't think I've ever seen salmon/steelhead rods with that kind range unless they were downrigger/trolling rods.

Speaking from the left coast here in SoCal, Where light tackle surf fishing with Salmon/Steelhead is the norm, Unless you are specifically looking at surfcasting rods, and the salmon/steelhead might still fit the bill for your purposes. I would look specifically at the newer Daiwa Northcoast series of SS rods. They have a lot more backbone than most and are not whippy at all.  Bear in mind, IMHO the stated rod specs are under-rated.  I use the 9 1/2 foot,  3/8-1oz model and have no problem power casting up to 1 1/2 oz plugs.They can also be found pretty reasonably for between $55 and $90 depending on where you shop, which I feel is a steal for what you get.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Do "surf" styled rods in lengths of 9' or more

2 hours ago, jeffapeikin said:

There’s an avid surf and mojo surf that I believe cover that range. Good question. 

My bad the rods that i mentioned are under 9’ . They’re 7’.

Edited by jeffapeikin

1 hour ago, Fishjerk said:

I am not sure if you really meant 3/8 to 3 or 4 oz rod or 3/8 - 3/4 oz rod only because I don't think I've ever seen salmon/steelhead rods with that kind range unless they were downrigger/trolling rods.

Speaking from the left coast here in SoCal, Where light tackle surf fishing with Salmon/Steelhead is the norm, Unless you are specifically looking at surfcasting rods, and the salmon/steelhead might still fit the bill for your purposes. I would look specifically at the newer Daiwa Northcoast series of SS rods. They have a lot more backbone than most and are not whippy at all.  Bear in mind, IMHO the stated rod specs are under-rated.  I use the 9 1/2 foot,  3/8-1oz model and have no problem power casting up to 1 1/2 oz plugs.They can also be found pretty reasonably for between $55 and $90 depending on where you shop, which I feel is a steal for what you get.

I actually did mean 3/8 oz - 3/4.  I've been having a blast catching schoolies and heavier tackle doesn't really suit them.  Throwing lots of little kastmasters and zoom flukes

10 mins ago, Yossarian said:

I actually did mean 3/8 oz - 3/4.  I've been having a blast catching schoolies and heavier tackle doesn't really suit them.  Throwing lots of little kastmasters and zoom flukes

Then I think salmon and steelhead rods are your best bet. If you don’t want a typical moderate action one (whippy), I stand by recommendation of the daiwa northcoast series. I routinely throw 3/8 swimbait to 1 oz castmaster and sp minnows and everything in between. It’s handled everything up to 10lb white sea bass and ca halibut this year with no problem. 

Posted (edited)

33 mins ago, Yossarian said:

If you want a surf rod, then the Okuma Rockaway is an excellent choice. They make it in 10' and 11'. I've caught Snapper and Ling cod from 1/4lb all the way up to 13lbs on the 11. 

Okuma RA-S-1002ML  Rated 1/2-2 and can be had for as cheap as $86-93 on Amazon

Edited by Skkeeter
1 person likes this

agree with Skkeeter I have the 11 ft Rockaway and it's a great rod for the money.

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Airwave elite 8’8” and the lighter 9 foot Daiwa Coastal SP surf rod are two smoking nice rods for light duty cape cod pluging. Worth a look. They both throw 3/8- just under 1.5 oz very well.

Yossa,

Take a look at Lamiglas SI steelhead rods.  Believe me, I researched the same topic for jig fishing Pompano when I go to Pensacola, FL.

OR, look into Lamiglas Honey 9ft blanks, and build your own.