Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KennebecJake

Surf Rod Guide Spacing

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Gentlemen,

I have a 9 foot honey colored Lamiglass surf rod blank from the 60s/70s that I would like hang my green Penn 704 on and wonder if you could tell me how many guides I should have, what size and how to space them. (Also planning to use vintage stainless Perfection guides FYI.) I have some size/spacing tables to go by but it's not clear to me how to know if I got it "right".

Do I center them on a line from the middle of the spool to the tip guide? Or should I flex the rod and look for contact on the bottom of each guide? Or do I just look for the rod itself to flex uniformly?

If the latter do I flex the rod to the "fish-on" position? or "backwards" as when casting a plug?

I'm happy to tape some guides on as a trial but not sure what to look for without your help.

Finally, this blank is one-piece. Do I put in a metal or internal ferrel at the midpoint? or closer to the butt? or should it stay one-piece?

Any and all responses will be appreciated.

Jake

Leave it one piece unless you have a space/storage constraint.  Also, I would recommend using updated guides (Fuji K's) instead of those antiquated wire guides.   The rod will  perform better  and cast further.   

I would second the modern guides and add that you can get a lot of good info from the anglers resource website. there is a whole tutorial on the new guide concept which is how i would build that rod. sounds like its the bm1083m or bt1083m. you might want to consider a double foot kwag30 for the stripper (first guide) then use the single foot K guides. this will keep the tip of that rod lighter which helps with those old glass rods

Many thanks for the advice on the Lamiglass honey blank.

Maybe I should have also ask how they rate against more modern choices for throwing saltwater plugs - any more advice? pros? cons?

(All thoughts sincerely appreciated.)

Want the honest answer.  A decent modern spinning rod will be hugely better.

You will feel it first cast.

I would not bother with these old glass rods. 

The nosalga Guys do and I get that.

I fish for different reasons.

Time has moved on.

Mike

as Mike O said, in general they dont rate very well against a more modern blank. but there are a few 8 and 9 foot lami glass blanks that are cool. if you have the bt1083m that is a nice blank and is a rod you will fish. it will weight more than your graphite rod but be a very strong rod. you can really put the screws to a fish with that rod. the large blanks start to get a little heavy, they are still cool in how they handle a fish but start to get a little cumbersome due to weight and casting performance

Edited by SurffisherMike

Gentlemen,

Well my Honey Lami turned out to be an 0803...... 8 foot rod.

Does anyone recognize that number or have experience with that model?

Particularly what # line / lure weight it might have been rated for originally by Lamiglass.

I'm curious what it's best use might be.

Planning to fish Race Pt this year from a boat and guessing jigging with metal or plastic might work. Would this rod be a good choice?

Jake

Lamiglas blank numbers usually consist of two digit series/model number - then the length in inches - them number of pieces - and then the power. Like a GSB1201L - GSB series - 120" long - 1 piece - light power.   Never heard of an "0803" from Lamiglas. That doesn't mean they didn't make one a long, long time ago...I've just never heard of, sorry :o

Best way to tell if a rod is going to be good at fishing a particular weight - put a reel on it - tie something of the aforementioned weight to the line - see how it feels on the rod. Casting isn't a concern at Race Pt from a boat - so you just need to the rod to be able to hook and land a fish...stiffer is better than softer for hooking fish. Wish I could be more helpful but I have no information on that blank...

TimS

The blank is a Lami BT96 3m.  Was a great 1 1/4 Atom popper & No. 3 Hopkins rod or 2oz lead w/ worm or clam.  Don't know how to link to it but  April 30 Rod Building Forum SOL has a pretty complete old to new lami numbers conversion.

On 1/11/2019 at 5:48 PM, cmdrzog said:

The blank is a Lami BT96 3m. .

From 2008 Lamiglas catalog

Fiberglass Boat and Trolling

BT 96 3 M

Length 8’

Pieces 1

Line 30

Butt Diameter  .765

Tip  8

Average Weight  7 1/8