dropping river logic

BrianZ

So the "rule" is that it's always better to fish a dropping river than a rising river. Why?

not that i disagree because i don't but i often try to understand the logic behind "rules" so that i can come up with good plans to break them. 

I think an obvious reason would be that the river would clean up as less new water (run off, tributaries etc) is added to the system so improved water clarity is one , wrong?

Bait fish start to consolidate as water level drops? 

increased flow in some stretches as riffles and glides start to go back to normal and ambush spots become more observable by the angler as level drops.

hatches increase? ( i know almost nothing about how water level affects nymphs and stuff like that)

what else?

I always did pretty good fishing high clean water along the banks or edges of deeper pools while water was rising. 

so what are the reasons for the "rule" of fishing a dropping river?  I am talking about rivers like the Susky and Delaware or around that size. 

For me, in my experience.

When the North Landing River (tributaries, Back Bay, etc..) is "falling", the fishing is better.    My theory:   micro organisms are being moved around, smaller fish are more active and up the chain it goes.  the bait are being moved and especially where the creeks drain into the main river, the bite is awesome.   When "rising" the water is still moving, but makes it easier for the baits to push into hiding. 

If still or rising, I never do as well as on a falling.  

1 hour ago, BrianZ said:

So the "rule" is that it's always better to fish a dropping river than a rising river. Why?

not that i disagree because i don't but i often try to understand the logic behind "rules" so that i can come up with good plans to break them. 

I think an obvious reason would be that the river would clean up as less new water (run off, tributaries etc) is added to the system so improved water clarity is one , wrong?

Bait fish start to consolidate as water level drops? 

increased flow in some stretches as riffles and glides start to go back to normal and ambush spots become more observable by the angler as level drops.

hatches increase? ( i know almost nothing about how water level affects nymphs and stuff like that)

what else?

I always did pretty good fishing high clean water along the banks or edges of deeper pools while water was rising. 

so what are the reasons for the "rule" of fishing a dropping river?  I am talking about rivers like the Susky and Delaware or around that size. 

I don't agree with this line of thinking.

High fast water tends to consolidate fish in current breaks and slack water. Most people don't fish high and fast water, so they don't learn how to properly target fish in these conditions.

As they say...the fish will be where you find them.

When conditions change due to increasing or decreasing water level, I still hit my "regular" spots, but also check out many others that look promising due to the conditions at that time.

I rarely get skunked, not because I am that great an angler as I don't give up and keep trying. The more cast you make, the more chances you have to hook up. It's just a numbers game.

Oh, and there's always a fair amount of luck involved too......

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

7 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I don't agree with this line of thinking.

High fast water tends to consolidate fish in current breaks and slack water. Most people don't fish high and fast water, so they don't learn how to properly target fish in these conditions.

^^^^THIS......On my river, up and down like a yo yo in normal circumstances.

Starts after ice out if there was ice. February, March, a little bit of April. It goes high you go close and then it drops. Then they scoot to the ledges, concrete, etc where they find the breaks....the ambush spots. It gets lower to where the weed beds start to appear they are there. If the drop continues they disperse throughout the whole river body. And then the rise. Rinse repeat.   

"Sweet songs never last too long on broken radios" Sam Stone / John Prine

I prefer dropping water level fishing as the fish tend to pool up more in central spots instead of being scattered out more. 

The approach is different as higher water offer more locations and needs different techniques and the presentation at different water levels.  

I live to fish. Not fish to live. 

I fish because things in my head tell me to.

6 hours ago, BrianZ said:

ok i get the high water can be as fishy as low water just different in the approach, i am asking about rising water vs dropping. 

anyone?

Creek mouths, especially if it's cold and the creek is a bit warmer. I have a lot of these but they fish differently depending on the depth. Any place that makes the first stable break where they can sit and ambush, bridge pillars, large rock and shelf formations, etc. Again, they all fish differently per the depth, speed of the rise, color, and temp. 

Edited by riverrunner

I Fish the Potomac river. If it rains way up river and the river rises , not muddy, from that rain the fishing is great. Usually summertime when the river is lower the rising water increases turbulence and moves the bait around. Upper Potomac Smallmouth, Catfish everybody wakes up. Probably water temperature falls also.

9 hours ago, BrianZ said:

ok i get the high water can be as fishy as low water just different in the approach, i am asking about rising water vs dropping. 

anyone?

Is this water rising really fast or is it just a slow steady rise. I wouldn’t mind fishing a slow steady rise but if the river is going to get blown out I might pass

New Jersey King Crab

I prefer dropping water for most fish. Why? I think fish put the feed bag on before and after a good rise. After is more predictable easier to fish. Some fish will feed straight through the rise like catfish and stripers but fish like pike or walleye bite best on either side of it.

"Lucky" is a fictional character on the interwebs. Nothing "Lucky" says or does can be or should be construed as a real thought by an actual person. Objects in your rear view mirror may appear to be closer than they actually are.

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

I prefer dropping water for most fish. Why? I think fish put the feed bag on before and after a good rise. After is more predictable easier to fish. Some fish will feed straight through the rise like catfish and stripers but fish like pike or walleye bite best on either side of it.

A LUCKY sighting.....my day is made !!!!

Hope all is well with you and yours. :howdy: