Otony

Titanium pliers alternatives

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was discussing fishing with a friend who is an MRI tech at our local hospital. The subject of pliers came up, and I mentioned spendy examples like Van Staal. He remarked that he had titanium tools in the MRI room because of their non-magnetic properties, and went on to mention that sometimes aluminum bronze or beryllium copper tools were used for the same reason. He also said that not all aluminum bronze tools were non-magnetic, as some had additional alloying materials (tin, nickel, iron) that could make them slightly magnetic, so the usual preference was for titanium tools.

Well, the whole idea of alternative sources for pliers besides those marketed for "SALTWATER FISHING, BY GOLLY!" made me sit up and pay attention. An extensive Google search revealed that there are a fair number of titanium pliers out there, but the price was still fairly high. Imprex pliers, for example, are about 205 bucks directly from the manufacturer. 

I figured I'd take a look at pliers made from both aluminum bronze and beryllium copper, and the results were far friendlier to your wallet. Prices started around 60+ dollars and ran up to around $125, and even higher, but the bulk were in that range. That prompted me to examine the properties of both materials on Wikipedia, and the information seems highly favorable in either case.

Being the miser that I am, I started searching for a used set of needle nose pliers on eBay. Hint here, besides using either material name as a search parameter, also try "non-sparking pliers". Lots of stuff popped up, both new and used, and I ended up scoring a set of NOS Berylco P-108 pliers for $55. That is a fair amount less than half of the going price. These are made of beryllium copper, which seems to be the better of the two materials, although both are good.

This particular brand comes without any rubber grips, just bare metal, but I intend to do a cord wrap with small diameter paracord, then seal that with epoxy. Virtually all other brands have some sort of rubber grips, btw.

Being retired and still having young kids in school (I'm a late bloomer, lol!) my budget for toys is restricted at times, so I have no problem looking for bargains. I've read quite a few objections here from folks over the high costs of the titanium stuff, so I figured I'd share the wealth so to speak. Take a look, you might be pleasantly surprised.  

Edited by Otony

I had a lot of brands except for the VS because of the price.  I'm constantly oiling and taking a wire brush/dremel to my Sargent because of the rust on one of the arms.  The other arm seems to be better stainless.  The aluminum pliers may be my next stop.

Edited by sinfish

HF sells excellent stainless REALLY LONG NOSE pliers, $8 or so.

Exceptionally strong.

I bought 2, stowed one away for JIC.

Drilled a lanyard hole (this is one tough stainless steel, having a drill press helps)

The one on kayak been there for few seasons. 0 maintenance. No rust. No binding.

It does have a cutting edge, good enough for braid (I'd test these in stores, to get a pair with decent "bite").

A must to unhook fish, esp big blues. Most of CaR fish I dont even bring into the boat, unhook it while it is still in the water

2 hours ago, r111 said:

Exceptionally strong.

Drilled a lanyard hole (this is one tough stainless steel, having a drill press helps)

The one on kayak been there for few seasons. 0 maintenance. No rust. No binding.

It does have a cutting edge, good enough for braid (I'd test these in stores, to get a pair with decent "bite").

A must to unhook fish, esp big blues. Most of CaR fish I dont even bring into the boat, unhook it while it is still in the water

Sounds interesting,  but I'm not figuring out who HF is?

3 hours ago, r111 said:

Exceptionally strong.

Do you have a link to those?

3 hours ago, r111 said:

Exceptionally strong.

blues can be tough to unhook as they wanna keep biting down,reach under the lowest gill arch w/ a couple fingers and press down on the back of the tongue area,makes 'em open their mouth...I know that goes against not bringing them aboard but sometimes they take it such that it's neccesary

i bought a pair of stainless van staals in the bst here and they don't corrode at all. titanium would be cool but if the only issue is corrosion not needed

9 hours ago, Otony said:

I was discussing fishing with a friend who is an MRI tech at our local hospital. The subject of pliers came up, and I mentioned spendy examples like Van Staal. He remarked that he had titanium tools in the MRI room because of their non-magnetic properties, and went on to mention that sometimes aluminum bronze or beryllium copper tools were used for the same reason. He also said that not all aluminum bronze tools were non-magnetic, as some had additional alloying materials (tin, nickel, iron) that could make them slightly magnetic, so the usual preference was for titanium tools.

Well, the whole idea of alternative sources for pliers besides those marketed for "SALTWATER FISHING, BY GOLLY!" made me sit up and pay attention. An extensive Google search revealed that there are a fair number of titanium pliers out there, but the price was still fairly high. Imprex pliers, for example, are about 205 bucks directly from the manufacturer. 

I figured I'd take a look at pliers made from both aluminum bronze and beryllium copper, and the results were far friendlier to your wallet. Prices started around 60+ dollars and ran up to around $125, and even higher, but the bulk were in that range. That prompted me to examine the properties of both materials on Wikipedia, and the information seems highly favorable in either case.

Being the miser that I am, I started searching for a used set of needle nose pliers on eBay. Hint here, besides using either material name as a search parameter, also try "non-sparking pliers". Lots of stuff popped up, both new and used, and I ended up scoring a set of NOS Berylco P-108 pliers for $55. That is a fair amount less than half of the going price. These are made of beryllium copper, which seems to be the better of the two materials, although both are good.

This particular brand comes without any rubber grips, just bare metal, but I intend to do a cord wrap with small diameter paracord, then seal that with epoxy. Virtually all other brands have some sort of rubber grips, btw.

Being retired and still having young kids in school (I'm a late bloomer, lol!) my budget for toys is restricted at times, so I have no problem looking for bargains. I've read quite a few objections here from folks over the high costs of the titanium stuff, so I figured I'd share the wealth so to speak. Take a look, you might be pleasantly surprised.  

I would just spend the cash on a pair of Abel pliers

This is what they look like (san the lanyard and red "spring" tube - which I added myself). Kept separate from usual pliers, in a section with one offs

The handles are textured, for super nice grip.

xxxx.jpg

Edited by r111

3 mins ago, r111 said:

This is what they look like (san the lanyard and red "spring" tube - which I added myself). Kept separate from usual pliers, in a section with one offs

The handles are textured, for super nice grip.

xxxx.jpg

Are they american made?

19 mins ago, chunk said:

Are they american made?

Nope, those are Chinese, and you can get them on Amazon. 

Search for Odontomed. The 8" set is $7.95, but a little on the rough side.

I have tried the beryllium pliers , same model p108 . I put latex tubing on for handle grip and drilled handle to add a lanyard. Drilling beryllium is tough as it work hardens and potentially dangerous as beryllium can be toxic. 

They are not corrosion free , readily forms some form of copper oxide , look at the green at tip of handles . The jaws have had similar but it cleans off easily enough. 

image1.JPG