IRI kicked my butt/Roosevelt inlet

Rate this topic

ATBfish

So I thought I would try IRI/Roosevelt today and had nothing but trouble. I had a hard time feeling the bottom with jigs/buck tails. I was using 2oz so maybe that’s why. But if anyone has any tips or tricks for fishing that current this buck tail/jigging newbie would be appreciated. Most of my fishing experience is bottom fishing and I’m trying to get into using lures. Getting tired of croaker and spot. Also tried some top water action at Roosevelt but no dice. It was also pretty windy. Thanks

Edited by ATBfish

Indian River Inlet? When I started salt water fishing back in the 80s that was one of the choice spots to go but I never mastered it....lost more bucktails jigs in those rocks than I care to remember. I have seen some great catches there back in the day before the new bridge went in...trophy grey trout....big blues....heard of an incredible striper run one spring a few years back. But the depth and the current there puts you on a steep learning curve. And don't even think about fishing those jetties during a running tide unless properly outfitted...they have taken their toll in lives thru the years.

23 hours ago, ATBfish said:

So I thought I would try IRI/Roosevelt today and had nothing but trouble. I had a hard time feeling the bottom with jigs/buck tails. I was using 2oz so maybe that’s why. But if anyone has any tips or tricks for fishing that current this buck tail/jigging newbie would be appreciated. Most of my fishing experience is bottom fishing and I’m trying to get into using lures. Getting tired of croaker and spot. Also tried some top water action at Roosevelt but no dice. It was also pretty windy. Thanks

It's all situational so the following are generalities but it is not all about the bottom. Focus on seams and eddys. Jig the ones perpendicular to your cast plug the ones parallel to your cast. It's mullet season so focus on choke or trap points for the migrating bait. A nice swell and jetty backwash with white water is your friend in late September and early October. 

Takes a tremendous amount of trial and error to even begin to understand Indian River inlet. So many variables..

Just stick to the basics at first. Shads, bt's, and bombers or sp's fished in as many different ways as you can think of. Dont feel like you always have to hug the bottom. Alot of times bass are ceuzing the mid column. Work with and against the current. Eventually you will find a pattern. More time you spend the more your going to learn.

I work, I wife, and I fish

Roosevelt can be a great producer, rare day catching the skunk there.  Stay close to the rocks, fish are often at your feet, the end of the south jetty has good structure and you can Fish all parts of the tide pretty effectively out there.   Casting to the middle with bait is a way to catch the skunk.    It’s probably a little less productive than iri but put in some time and it’s probably a great training ground , not as deep, not a swift, shallower, etc.   you’ll still get snagged from time to time if you are doing it right but you might save a couple hundred bucks on lead figuring out rosy and then moving to iri

32 mins ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Stop posting such specific information if someone needs help PM them you just admitted you don’t like north side cause of all the guys, well I don’t want guys reading your cracked out posts that aren’t members showing up this spring because of you. SHUT UP. 

Please 

As in this picture 48 lb. the guy holding the bass was my buddy. He jumped into the inlet to get this bass because it spit the hook out at the rocks. That a true fisherman!  Enjoy it. Plenty of bass in the sea. 

C644A93E-512E-4D44-A7C7-B46E9CA0FB50.jpeg

Edited by TimS
Overly specific location removed - Marty, it doesn't belong here - it's against the rules

Thanks for the information Marty. A few posts like that can actually reinvigorate people that haven't fished saltwater in a long time.  That equals money being spent in a tackle shop, a few licenses, some lost lures, and just maybe/possibly a fish or two. Maybe I'll try to put some time in again. Its a totally public, well known spot - so I just don't get the big deal.  For those that "don't care", then why post multiple responses/posts...  It just pushes this thread up to the top of the list each time...for more people to see.

Number one I sincerely apologize if I am spot burning I just thought it was already well known enough that it didn’t matter.  And I really appreciate all the info people have shared with me in this thread thank you very much. I was just trying to get some advice from people who probably know much more than I.