ghost

When Penn VI will be available???

32 posts in this topic

ghost -

We are on track to ship them 10/15/18. You can see the dates that we list on our website for the new items. Stores may vary though since that date is when we ship, not when they have them in their stores.

Brian -

You ever try one?

Ben

1 person likes this

Yes, but not a Penn.

The Quantum SS reels, maybe two decades ago, were a high-end product from Zebco (yes, Zebco.  Honest.) The big one was a baitrunner, and a pretty good reel with one feature that I've never seen duplicated elsewhere. The reel shipped with a couple of extra parts, replacing the bail; when the bail was rotated manually, a small pin extruded itself from the side of the reel bail, and locked onto grooves on the side of the spool, so that the load of the cast was not carried on the drag (one large teflon washer, I think; good enough for anything I ever caught on it). You didn't need a taped finger, or a tightened drag, in order to cast. It was, AFAIK, the only reel like that on the market. I think, tentatively, that the big reel was the QSS 6. The gear train was a decent stainless steel. The drag probably could have been better, but it was adequate for me, for the time I had it. 

The reel itself was big, in the SS 850 bracket.  I ultimately gave it away to a friend, now deceased, who was physically obliged to bait and wait, in a chair. If I'm going to soak a chunk, the smaller size of my preferred conventionals (Newell 220, 229, Penn Mag 525 and a prototype mag 535, Lexa 400) is an ergonomically friendlier handful, and lighter to boot. Zebco also annoyed the hell out of me with a two or three day repair program. I sent a smaller reel in for repair. It turned out that the fast turnover was made possible by them sending you someone else's returned reel. Some idiot had spooled the one that came back to me with 40 lb. mono, on a reel sized around a 450 or 550, and he'd beaten it horribly in the bargain. Many bad words were said, frightening the cat and startling the wife ("it's only a fishing reel").  I swore off Quantum.  

If I needed a bait reel now, and I were buying a new one, it'd be either a Squall, Torque or Saltiga. All light, handy, a workable clicker.  

I have lots of reels but the new Liveliner drag interests me, its like a lever drag on a spinner. I have conventionals ( newells, penn , etc ) and I prefer them for heavy bait applications ( 8+bait) , but lighter applications such as catching dinner in calm surf I enjoy using my existing Liveliners (orginal penn, Shimano). Plus you can never have too many reels.

I still love my Squidders

1 hour ago, ghost said:

I have lots of reels but the new Liveliner drag interests me, its like a lever drag on a spinner. I have conventionals ( newells, penn , etc ) and I prefer them for heavy bait applications ( 8+bait) , but lighter applications such as catching dinner in calm surf I enjoy using my existing Liveliners (orginal penn, Shimano). Plus you can never have too many reels.

I still love my Squidders

That's essentially what it is, but with added stops for each position and an auto disengage with the turn of the handle. It is a much more versatile design than most spinning reels on the market. I think you will really like it.

Ben

Any idea which store will have them first? How about the Penn web store?

I am headed down south mid Oct and I am trying to get it before that trip.

The PENN site will have them first. The stores I honestly have no idea. May be worth checking with your local stores to get an ETA on when they are expected to get them.

Ben

Already did that but they are all saying Nov. now, they were saying Sept then Oct now they are up to Nov

with the new SSV 4500 bailless option, are there any plans to do a slammer 3 kit for the 4500? (i know this question was asked a million times earlier, but now that there's a SSV 4500 bailless, i must know (again)!)

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, runnsfromcops said:

with the new SSV 4500 bailless option, are there any plans to do a slammer 3 kit for the 4500? (i know this question was asked a million times earlier, but now that there's a SSV 4500 bailless, i must know (again)!)

Not at this time

Ben

On 10/4/2018 at 10:51 AM, PENN Fishing said:

Not at this time

Ben

Will the slammer ball knob fit the new 4500? I love the new 4500bls but the paddle knob it’s terrible. 

19 hours ago, MikedNJ said:

Will the slammer ball knob fit the new 4500? I love the new 4500bls but the paddle knob it’s terrible. 

The ball won't interchange but the handle assemblies will between Slammer III and SSVI.

Ben

7 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

The ball won't interchange but the handle assemblies will between Slammer III and SSVI.

Ben

Hey Ben,

Can you buy the EVA knobbed slammer 3 handle configuration?

Instead of the alu knobbed?  And if so How much.