Fish in Wreck Pond

Rate this topic

MaCe1

10 mins ago, cartopper said:

soyouretheone.jpg

Nope...only person I told were a couple guys I fished with...didn’t weigh it in, didn’t take it to a shop...and nobody that I’m aware of mentioned it in a blurb on a fishing show :) 

I do remember the state stocking something like 400K over a few seasons of little tiny brown trout of some strain that was likely to head out to the ocean and return as sea runs. Never seen one as an adult.

There have always been rumors of a long since ended run of sea run trout in Wreck Pond. Did you guys know Wreck Pond used to be an inlet and harbor? :read:

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

11 mins ago, TimS said:

Nope...only person I told were a couple guys I fished with...didn’t weigh it in, didn’t take it to a shop...and nobody that I’m aware of mentioned it in a blurb on a fishing show :) 

I do remember the state stocking something like 400K over a few seasons of little tiny brown trout of some strain that was likely to head out to the ocean and return as sea runs. Never seen one as an adult.

There have always been rumors of a long since ended run of sea run trout in Wreck Pond. Did you guys know Wreck Pond used to be an inlet and harbor? :read:

I do remember being told of a steelhead caught in the Manasquan about 30 or so years ago.  It was you, don't be bashful!

Talking about Wreck Pond, 30+ years ago, I remember when some very large stripers made their way into the pond.  It was early May during the herring run. Believe Bill Mc Fadden got several with one being 40+.

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."

1 hour ago, cartopper said:

I do remember being told of a steelhead caught in the Manasquan about 30 or so years ago.  It was you, don't be bashful!

Talking about Wreck Pond, 30+ years ago, I remember when some very large stripers made their way into the pond.  It was early May during the herring run. Believe Bill Mc Fadden got several with one being 40+.

I can't say a rumor didn't get out there that a steelhead was caught, there is certainly some overlap of the folks we both know/knew back in the day :beers:

You are correct about the stripers that Billy caught in there...except it wasn't in May...they were caught in February/March :b:  

TimS

Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

19 hours ago, TimS said:

30 years ago I caught a 4# steelhead in Manasquan River....this was before they started the brown trout sea run stocking. Some rainbow trout that they stocked left the river...went into the ocean...got fat and shiny...and came back :) It was an awesome critter and total unexpected - it jumped like nothing I'd ever seen before. I remember someone catching a brook trout in the Point Pleasant Canal back then as well.

I caught a brook trout once in Shark River where it's definitely salt water once...he wasn't quite a sea-run but he was on his way out of the fresh water :)

TimS

10 x 10 talked to me about stuff like this the year he passed he said had caught see run browns on the Delaware river thought they were just stories he really was a great fisherman true diehard miss him much

2 hours ago, Nite Caster said:

Used to be able to net the herring at the pipe and live line. Now it is illegal to net herring due the low numbers.

Back then the number of herring that returned to spawn there numbered in the tens of thousands. These days it's hardly in the "tens". You could literally wipe out that entire spawning effort with one throw of a cast net. There used to be thick schools of herring waiting outside the flume for the tide to come up so they could get in...now it's news worthy if you see ONE herring. Low numbers is an understatement :(

TimS

48 mins ago, onthefly said:

10 x 10 talked to me about stuff like this the year he passed he said had caught see run browns on the Delaware river thought they were just stories he really was a great fisherman true diehard miss him much

I used to see Kenny around the area back in the late 80s/90s...long before I made this website. He was always trying to do something nobody ever thought of with a fly rod :th:  He posted here for a year or so before we made the connection that we'd known each other for a long, long time...he was a character, he'll always be missed...

TimS

On 9/25/2018 at 9:51 PM, TimS said:

I caught a brook trout once in Shark River where it's definitely salt water once...he wasn't quite a sea-run but he was on his way out of the fresh water :)

TimS

I think they stock them not far from you, around school house road.  It's not a far journey to be washed down into the salt part.  

One year I caught a big brookie in March at the marina's just east of the Pilot house.  Must have been washed down from Shanendoah and through Forge pond.  I was at Takanasee one year, looked down the spillway and saw fishing jumping against the falls.  Figured "Herring" and put on a dart.  The waves were pushing all the way up the spill way, and I caught them fish.  They were trout.  You don't get no closer to the ocean than that.  They were doomed.  And I did live line them.  :wave:  

19 hours ago, Tanersahin01 said:

Don’t know exactly what you mean, in 2016 a pipe was built for herring and other baitfish to access wreck pond

There was always a pipe.  They extended it and ever since it's never been the same.  

Delete from SOL_Users where username like 'wasy','Seal'....

50 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

I think they stock them not far from you, around school house road.  It's not a far journey to be washed down into the salt part.

They stock a couple places upriver from where I caught that guy...Shark River Park, Gully Road, Remsen Mills Road, etc. He wasn't far in miles from where they stocked him, but he was in the same place I've caught bass, blueclaws, spearing, mullet and snappers...only one I ever saw that far from the fresh water part of Shark River :)

The big brookie you caught in March - no chance he was headed back into the fresh water? They get an entirely different look to them once they spend time in salt water...they look much more serious and don't smile as much ;)

TimS

Just now, TimS said:

The big brookie you caught in March - no chance he was headed back into the fresh water? They get an entirely different look to them once they spend time in salt water...they look much more serious and don't smile as much ;)

TimS

I do have a picture somewhere, was hoping to find it but it will have to wait until later.  I can tell you, it wasn't a standard little stockie and when I hooked up and saw it I first thought it was a weakfish.  Very silver in color with the little pink brookie dots.  I can't remember the exact size but I remember it being in the 2-4 pound range.  Could have been a fish returning (as we were targeting other species of fish on a return migration).  

Delete from SOL_Users where username like 'wasy','Seal'....

18 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Very silver in color with the little pink brookie dots.  I can't remember the exact size but I remember it being in the 2-4 pound range.

If it looked happy and stupid...it was a stockie. If it looked serious and a bit angry it got fooled by some biped standing on the bank, probably a sea run returning :)

TimS

There was a legend in my surf fishing club  that one spring a handful of very large striped bass made it into Wreck Pond during the herring run.  30-40 lb stuff.  Guys were throwing big swimmers and took a few inside the pond.  This would be decades ago....Not sure if it actually happened, but I guess it would be possible. 

11 mins ago, Oakey said:

There was a legend in my surf fishing club  that one spring a handful of very large striped bass made it into Wreck Pond during the herring run.  30-40 lb stuff.  Guys were throwing big swimmers and took a few inside the pond.  This would be decades ago....Not sure if it actually happened, but I guess it would be possible. 

Tim and I were discussing earlier in this thread . . . it did happen and his name, Bill McFadden.

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."

On 9/28/2018 at 10:34 AM, Oakey said:

Remember when Big John caught a tournament winning fish while testing out a rigged eel in Deal Lake ?

Had to be 15 years ago

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962