Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 23 - Sept 30

Rate this topic

127 posts in this topic

Wind was CRANKING last pm, blowing much harder on the water then anticipated.  Between cranking wind and washer machine surf it was tough to keep contact with anything.  Fish were not pushed onshore where they usually have been for these conditions.  A few schoolies but nothing great.  Was a pretty disappointing night, considering I was pretty excited for the conditions.  

21 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

Albies are the most overrated fish around here. 

20 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

THEY PULL DRAG (on LMB gear)!!

Nobody who truly knows the fishery uses LMB gear... NOBODY!

Noobs who use striper / bluefish surf gear or fresh water bass gear and manage somehow to hook up to an albie despite their wrong tooling, may think this way. Adept anglers properly targeting these fish with the appropriate equipment don't spew such foolishness. 

dont be silly lady.... 90+% of albie guys chase them using glorified LMB gear and or light fly gear....especially boat guys. don't let your strange emotions get the best of you. 

Edited by HugeDinghy

2 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

dont be silly lady.... 90+% of albie guys chase them using glorified LMB gear and or light fly gear....especially boat guys. don't let your strange emotions get the best of you. 

Speaking for myself (shore guy), you are correct. Well, not LIGHT fly gear, but all fly gear looks light to a surf caster.

Again, speaking only for myself, if I could throw a 5/8 epoxy jig or a weightless fluke on my surf gear, I would.

But I can't. So if I want to consistently catch them, I need to use appropriate gear.

As far as drag goes, well, that's the drug we get hooked on.

The way it is today, a decent angler can catch 1000 stripers in a season and not hear his drag a single time.

I'm all set with that. You kids have fun.

Albies are 5X more powerful and faster than bass Period 

pound for pound, they blow any other fish around here away. There is no debate when discussing sport fishing. 

Regarding eating.... I’d take 5 scup over a keeper stripe. Black Sea bass and fluke even better than that. 

I dont mind catching a nice bass, don’t get me wrong, but in terms of fight, the albie destroys and bass. 

Im sure someone around here will have a witty contrarian remark though! 

30 mins ago, Dirty Walter said:

pound for pound, they blow any other fish around here away. There is no debate when discussing sport fishing. 

Regarding eating.... I’d take 5 scup over a keeper stripe. Black Sea bass and fluke even better than that. 

I dont mind catching a nice bass, don’t get me wrong, but in terms of fight, the albie destroys and bass. 

I like how you elevate your retort.

:wave:

been awhile since I posted anything or let alone fished. But i did get out twice this week. Quickly found fish and tons of bait.

To my surprise all the bass I caught especially the low keeper size, seemed very skinny and malnourished. I would think they be a lot fatter with all the bait I’ve seen. Anyone else noticed this?

Edited by mofish

21 mins ago, mofish said:

:wave:

To my surprise all the bass I caught especially the low keeper size, seemed very skinny and malnourished. I would think they be a lot fatter with all the bait I’ve seen. Anyone else noticed this?

They are staging now, gathering numbers. They'll start eating now with the cooler water waiting around to start the migration.

10 hours ago, Dirty Walter said:

pound for pound makes me  chuckle. 

that's exactly what you say about little things that cant really compare. 

Floyd Mayweather, pigmy UFC fighters, etc. 

keep in mind too, overrated doesn't mean something isn't good, its just overrated. 

shoot, mike Tyson was overrated and nobody's gonna say he wasnt a good fighter. 

:laugh:

he got lucky to come up when nobody was around. never beat a peak heavyweight of his time. 

what was his biggest win, spinks or holmes? he lost decisively to both Lewis and Holyfield. 

and he is still talked about as one of the best eve, THE best ever in some circles.......both of which are the epitome of overrated. 

22 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

I used to say stuff like that when I was your age. Have another drink and take a nap, I've forgotten more than you'll ever know about albie fishing. Your contributions to most conversations are about as useful as perforated condoms. If it wasn't for personal attacks, I'm not sure you'd have anything left to say. Tell us more about albie fishing though, your expertise is such a help to us all (thats sarcasm).

giphy.gif   

lay of the manischewits, Avraham....its pretty clear you don't or you wouldn't have to resort to name calling and manufactured drama versus discussion on the topic. :th:

its so strange how emotionally attached people get to fat alberts :laugh:

Edited by HugeDinghy