Slightly OT - epoxy form

Rate this topic

Fishy Fisher

Wife wants to do a bartop style epoxy finish on the bathroom vanity with seashells and stuff. I need to build a form around the edges to get the epoxy to cover the exposed front and sides. I need to remove the form after the epoxy hardens. What material will not stick to epoxy? Or, what can be applied to the form to prevent it from sticking AND not contaminate the epoxy? 

55 mins ago, capesams said:

I use wax paper for a lot of different glue up jobs...and when they go to mold up a glass boat they use about 7 coats of wax for a release agent.

Paste wax? Does it make the finish cloudy? I mean beyond what can be buffed out of the surface? I'm most worried about contamination making it bubbly - stuff that can't be buffed. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Fishy Fisher said:

Paste wax? Does it make the finish cloudy? I mean beyond what can be buffed out of the surface? I'm most worried about contamination making it bubbly - stuff that can't be buffed. Thanks.

I've used a couple coats of paste wax on strips of bath panels because it's a smooth surface and because I had it here. Also have used wax paper glued over thin strips of wood. Both times I made serving trays the wife wanted to do as Christmas gifts. Neither time I had a problem with any contamination or bubbling around the sides. Also a big tip I can give you is after you pour it give it a few minutes to let the bubbles rise and then run a blow dryer on high across it and itll pop any trapped bubbles. Leave a nice glassy smooth surface. Good luck with it man. 

7 hours ago, seed420 said:

I've used a couple coats of paste wax on strips of bath panels because it's a smooth surface and because I had it here. Also have used wax paper glued over thin strips of wood. Both times I made serving trays the wife wanted to do as Christmas gifts. Neither time I had a problem with any contamination or bubbling around the sides. Also a big tip I can give you is after you pour it give it a few minutes to let the bubbles rise and then run a blow dryer on high across it and itll pop any trapped bubbles. Leave a nice glassy smooth surface. Good luck with it man. 

Thanks man. Paste wax it is. I knew I would get a good answer in this forum. Who knows more about epoxy than here? 

And the hair dryer thing I already knew about ... From learning it here! 

I suggested sand and seashells but wife thinks that's for old folks. She wants little toys and glass pebbles. It's her bathroom anyway. The hardest part is going to be keeping the 4 year old away from the sink while the base layer paint cures.