night owl

Loading the 17a bomber

9 posts in this topic

Has anyone done this before? If so, how did u make out and what worked?

Before I start drilling holes, experimenting with lead shot & water & oil, then adjusting the weights of the load to get the correct performance, and driving myself nuts.....  I figured maybe one of you crazy scientists have already done this experiment. So I figured I'd ask before I embark on what is usually a lengthy experiment in the laboratory and on the water.

Havent done it myself, but I'm reading a striped bass fishing book that talks about it.  Far as water goes, he recommended using a syringe to measure.  Somewhere from 5 to 15cc of water.  cc of water should be a gram. that about 3/16 to a little over a 1/2oz in weight.

Yes they can be loaded. The magic load is the one that best suits your needs. In general SD’s range above makes sense. The long A’s can take a bit more weight and a bit more hook than a comparable sized redfin imo. Its a better big water plug and best when drivien deep somewhat unlike the  redfin which does best on the surface. Loading these

plugs makes less sense these

days given all the minnow we have

to pick from but it can be fun all the same and long A’s are relatively

cheap too. Best of luck!

Posted (edited)

Good points made by redfin. The only thing I would add is why load a plug with Water? Water evaporates & does so pretty quickly.

You should liquid load with Mineral Spirts as Evaporation is mitigated.

Also, if you load with #8 Bird Shot or BB's, the swimming action of any lipped the lure is easily messed up as the Bird Shot can settle in weird spots inside the lure cavity & easily get stuck in certain chambers. 

This can completely ruin the swimming motion.

Mineral Spirits will slosh around fairly evenly & the swimming action will be a lot better opposed to Bird Shot.

Where the bird shot is awesome is when you load it inside a Cotton Cordell popper. Turns them into iICBM's - way better than using BB's, which are lighter & require more to get the desired weight. Using BB's will hurt the ability of the added weight to transfereasily & the end result is the proper loaded with lead shot will cast a little better then the one loaded with BB's.

Edited by CaryGreene

Loaded redfins and 17a’s cast and swim way better than most modern minnow swimmers. Sp’s seem to be the hot lure and they are ok. But if your willing to customize your Redfin and 17a you will get a minnow that will outperform anything out. 

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, hydraman said:

Loaded redfins and 17a’s cast and swim way better than most modern minnow swimmers. Sp’s seem to be the hot lure and they are ok. But if your willing to customize your Redfin and 17a you will get a minnow that will outperform anything out. 

I agree. No doubt the SP minnow is a great plug but the 5" and 7" Red fin , both stock and loaded ( or with eel skin),  are a better tools for catching stripers in my opinion. I have fished with both and I'll never be without a Red fin in my bag when I go surf  fishing. I can't say that about the SP.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

A lot of people like to add mineral spirits, mineral oil or BBs instead of water to avoid evaporation. I always epoxy around the hook hangers and line tie to prevent leakage or saltwater intrusion from corroding the BBs. I have not found loading with BBs to hurt the action of my Redfins at all. They are a killer that I'd pit against any plug in the right situations. I always carry a light one (bone, Smoky Joe or Chicken Scratch) and a Blurple one. They are one of the best tools you can possibly have in your arsenal. 

Thanx for the replies fellas. I think I'm gonna try adding 1/4 oz of oil and take it from there. This is one of those lures where just little weight will make a huge difference so I gotta go easy.

I've chosen to load this lure cuz it is very close to the profile & size of a tinker mackerel. The bomber mackerel color pattern is also pretty good. 

Some of the lures out there that are supposed to be mackerel imitations are a joke. Nothing about the profile or color resembles a mackerel. Sometimes it doesn't make a difference cuz the fish are smashing everything you throw out there. BUT.... many times they are so damn picky that the smallest thing can make a big difference. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talkin about.