natsgrampy

Tipping Sea Tow

9 posts in this topic

I ran into an issue last week out on Long Island Sound between Fisher's and Orient Point.. Boat died as we were moving towards Mystic and I wasn't able to get it started again. I had to call for a tow back to Groton.

I was wondering if I am supposed to tip the Sea Tow Captain, if so, how much tip is acceptable?

Saved a butt load of $$$ by being a subscriber

I've used Sea Tow twice. Both times same Capt.  Not very far distances, maybe less than 5 miles from port. I never had to wait more than a half hour. And Capt was friendly, and professional.

I tipped a ten, and made sure I offered a couple ice cold water bottles. He gratefully accepted both.

I say if you're happy with the service, by all means tip. I do that with any service. Almost guarantees good service next time.

I had to use SeaTow  once and when I tried to tip the Captain he said No, that it was part of my membership, I tried several more time but he would not take a tip. He was very professional and he sure could handle a boat.

I've used Sea Tows competitor twice in the last 15 years.

Prompt, professional service with both tows less than 10 miles.

Always tip.

I use Boat US, but I guess the idea of tipping for good service is the same. Once during a severe thunderstorm, with many lightning strikes, the red boat came out and safely brought me back to the slip. I happily gave him a $20. (short tow, but nasty conditions)  Another time while pulling my anchor, the BoatUS capt was too agressive and almost cut my anchor rode. (10' of line had his bottom paint on it) No tip that day. Good service deserves some extra "consideration" Careless service deserves a "thank-you" only.

$20 here as well.  Had it happen twice (once mechanical issues, once ran aground).  Both times they were quick, helpful, and right to the point.  Definitely money well spent.

Thanks for the replies. I kind of forgot I posted this.

I did tip the captain, $20, which was all the cash I had on me. It was a fairly short tow of about 5 miles.

The captain did a great job of helping to get my anchor unstuck. In about 40 feet of water with the current ripping, I couldn't get the anchor up. She had me tie it off and pulled us until it released. It did take 3 good tries.

She deserved the tip. I would have gladly tipped her more if I had he $$$$

Like others suggested it depends on the situation but the few times I've needed them, it's been nothing or $20 if they went out of their way.