Wooden Metal Lip Plugs

Rate this topic

Yossarian

10 hours ago, Roddy said:

exactly,thats what I wanted to know if you agreed with that.

if I feel a plug buzz and it has a lip that's wide,it gets trimmed down so it will throb instead of buzz.

what do you do in such a case?

HH

Some plugs are just how they're gonna be. It's why I said earlier that some plugs are not made for vast water because the bigger, wider lips dig in too much and affect the swimming action. Your plugs are good for fast water because of the contour of the body with the lip. Deep divers, even though they have a larger lip. swim well because of the streamline shape of the plug. 

One way to get rid of that "buzz" as you call it is to retrieve super slow. Also, one has to be sure that just because a plug does not feel good to us one the retrieve, that said plug might be enticing to a bass. But this year is a tough year to see what works and doesn't work, lol, maybe this fall will have more action, hopefully:howdy: 

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

10 hours ago, Roddy said:

I knew you were up to something.

shoot me a few pix,I'd like to see them.

HH

Everything is in the car, the jointeds that is. But I believe i sent a picture of the larger swimmers. 

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

12 hours ago, jimmy z said:

Some plugs are just how they're gonna be. It's why I said earlier that some plugs are not made for vast water because the bigger, wider lips dig in too much and affect the swimming action. Your plugs are good for fast water because of the contour of the body with the lip. Deep divers, even though they have a larger lip. swim well because of the streamline shape of the plug. 

One way to get rid of that "buzz" as you call it is to retrieve super slow. Also, one has to be sure that just because a plug does not feel good to us one the retrieve, that said plug might be enticing to a bass. But this year is a tough year to see what works and doesn't work, lol, maybe this fall will have more action, hopefully:howdy: 

I agree,I always crank slow anyway.

it seems to entice them to come and check it out.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

8 mins ago, Yossarian said:

This has been really insightful.  One last question, with swimmers that have 2 belly hook hangers and a tail do you guys usually fish hooks on all 3 attachment points?

I will venture a guess that many (not all) SOL folks ascribe the "fewer hooks is better" mantra.  IMHO, it makes sense *in general* for it affords lower probabilities of injuries to both fish and anglers.

However, some plugs just do not (in my experience, and with inputs from many sharpies here) swim well if one removes the second belly hook and upweights (by increasing any combination of the size and strength) the front belly hook.  

Specifically, Beachmaster plugs are built to swim with what I  will call "factory spec" hooks.  I've tried many potential combinations of hooks, none of which worked anywhere near as well as using the pair of CUT hooks on the belly swivels.  

As for tail hooks, sometimes it does matter if one keeps the tail treble hook on.  I was recently playing around with some long SP minnows (not wooden metal lip plugs, I will grant you, but please bear with me for the sake of example, OK?) and they didn't swim for sheet when I removed the rear treble hook.  A very helpful SOLr suggested that perhaps a heavy (as in offshore or bait style) hook would help with the balance,and he was right! That heavy tail hook worked perfectly.  

In general, I find that larger (2 1/2+ oz) plugs offer more flexibility with tail hooks (dressed or naked, single or treble) and tail flags (fur or feathers, but no hook).  If I want a plug to swim with the rear end lower I'll add a (usually naked) tail hook of some sort.  If i want the arse end up a bit more, I'll add something like either a bucktail flag, or a lighter short-shank hook that is dressed with bucktail.  

Regardless of the hook configuration that I use, I always bend down the barbs.  Safer for me, and easier to release fish.  

HTH

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

6 hours ago, Yossarian said:

This has been really insightful.  One last question, with swimmers that have 2 belly hook hangers and a tail do you guys usually fish hooks on all 3 attachment points?

two hook hangers used, the front belly and a single hook on the tail. The front belly i use a treble, (bass will hit a front hook first more times), and the tail a single dressed hook because the toothy critters will hit the tail. Blue fish to those that don't know about the toothy ones. . 

I built larger plugs where i use a rear belly. This is only because the plugs are larger then the typical 7"s or so. I've made jointed eels where they are 11-14"s and required the extra hardware. 

Edited by jimmy z

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:52 PM, Yossarian said:

I do.

if a plug has 3 hook design,I use 3 hooks.

most of mine are 3 hookers since they are large.

I may use trebles or inline singles,depends on the plug.

the second pic plug has just a flag.

5baed89e867c5_HHPlugWerxLDP1007.JPG.7aa371062bf816d3fbdff06a5cd1f654.JPG5baed8be697b8_HHPlugWerxLDP1002.JPG.d430a407bc13d86cf725ff9f72516a12.JPG5baed8f51e31e_HHPlugWerxLDP1232.JPG.2f44f47ee9339055490e69f2f93ad888.JPG

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,