Yossarian

Wooden Metal Lip Plugs

Rate this topic

104 posts in this topic

I see a ton of people always talking about these plugs but I don't think I've ever seen someone using one in person on the beach.  Can someone explain to me the attraction of them?  If I had to guess I'd say it's the size and buoyancy of the wood relative to their weight but if they're so good I would think one of the big lure companies would have picked up on it and mass produced them.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've used metal lips at inlets with good results, otherwise i've only seen OGs throw them.  

I'd like to say it's a nostalgic thing but I don't want to assume.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

19 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

Whatever floats your boat. 

Many many people fish with wood plugs. 

Whats your hang up with them?

I'm just curious.  I understand using wood for poppers and other topwater but these blocky plugs just seem to out of place to me.  Obviously it's only really a New England and east coast phenomenon but tackle companies have tapped into much smaller niche markets and it seems odd that they wouldn't jump to take advantage of such a cult following.  My best guess as to their applications is that they're so wide and bulky that they produce mostly large fish than can engulf the lure.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Gibbs makes them *

Tsunami makes them *

Edited by TimS
Please don’t post commercial links here - thanks

Metal lips can flat out catch fish....and are versatile/adjustable plugs.  There are surface swimming, subsurface, and deep divers/trollers all of which catch big bass.  Eyes and lips (depending on who you talk to) can also be adjusted/bent to change the depth at which the plug swims.  Depending on size, they can be spot on when fish are feeding on bunker, peanuts or even squid.  I've seen some monsters caught in the past few seasons on big slopehead metal lip trollers.  The biggest issue is that for the most part, they are not good casters.....I think this is what discourages a lot of people from throwing/sticking with them.

bar none my fav plug to catch on...i think there are a lot of poorly constructed ones out there that do not swim correctly, too deep, too much roll etc...

fell in love with metals lips a few years ago in the fall, IBSP north jetty, false dawn and the bunker were all around...threw out a fishon8 metal in bunker flavor...that seductive wobble...bass after bass...delicious. 

Theyre complicated pieces of wood. It takes time and practice to understand each metla lip, so the art of fishing one is an attraction within itself. And when you get your first hit, youll know exactly why people fish them.

I never had used the wood metal lip plugs until a bunch of years ago I bought a quality name plug. They just swim so perfect. The knockoff plugs, plastic ones, just don’t catch like the wood does. They don’t swim the same as wood. 

It became my first pick from then on. 

Im assuming you’re wondering if $20 or more is worth the cost. Yes.

RM Smith makes nice plugs and they aren’t that expensive. 

I think its pretty simple, same reason something like the magic swimmer is so effective. Its all about that big profile that wooden plugs provide. Plastic plugs for the most part arr smaller and skinnier. Wooden plugs are big and fat, the type of profile that big bass are looking for

2 hours ago, Yossarian said:

I see a ton of people always talking about these plugs but I don't think I've ever seen someone using one in person on the beach.  Can someone explain to me the attraction of them?  If I had to guess I'd say it's the size and buoyancy of the wood relative to their weight but if they're so good I would think one of the big lure companies would have picked up on it and mass produced them.

“Metal lips” as a grouping are one of the most effective plugs in my arsenal.  I use them quite a bit. Once you start fishing them you get to realize the large variety available to you since they’re custom made.  Some dive deep, some swim mid level, some you can’t get below the water...and then amongst those categories different lips/sizes can have all different profiles/actions. They’re awesome tools...but each type can be very different in terms of application.  

Some cost $20, some cost $200.  Don’t think you need to pay more for better action, it’s generally not the case.  Just pick a reputable name and they’ll probably swim just fine, some just won’t swim right out of the bag/box... I think it’s just part of the game when working with something imperfect like wood.  In this case you can try to tinker with the eye/lip to get it to swim. You’ll catch a lot of **** from guys on here for saying you can change the lip. I do it all the time just to change action/depth of a plug that already swims well and have never had an issue. Can bend it right back if need be.

Do yourself a favor, start with a Danny in the 1-2 oz range.  Fish it in light current crawled across the surface in low light...you’ll see what all the hype is when a fish slowly bulges behind it before exploding.

I see that you're new here, so I will start with Welcome Aboard!

(In case you are unaware, a joke is required of all new members.)

I happen to fish the ditch a lot, which isn't very conducive to MLs, so my mates and I fish jigs, BTs, pencils, etc., etc. when we're there.

In other locations they can help catch when few other lures (my catchall phrase for everything from sluggos to tins to anything else) produce.  Maybe that's why I so enjoy fishing beaches, boulder fields, jetties and in/outlets (called breachways in RI, for reasons that remain unknown to me).

For example, I haven't found many lures that even come close to matching the size of an adult bunker (large Magic Swimmers can do it in the upper part of the water column, I will admit, and I use them a lot).  Their (magic swimmers') action is very different from say a Danny plug, or a Pikie, or a Surfster, any of which can provide a large profile, along with a "rolling" action with a sometimes-deadly slow surface V-wake.

Similarly, plugs like Conrads and slope head swimmers or trollers can deliver a large profile deep in the water column, and can be held in position, unlike BTs or jigs which tend to rise in current on a tight line.

For a great overview of wooden plugs, google "bassdozer".

There are some great ML articles in various saltwater publications by super-savvy guys like Steve McKenna, Captain Dave Peros, Dave Anderson, and many others.  

As you will see in many of those articles, many names come up on a regular basis, chief among them being BeachMaster.  Other great (IMHO, and affordable) builders include the aforementioned RMSmith, Lupo, Tattoo (my experience is only with original Tattoo plugs), RuRu (KILLER Conrads), and more.

HTH.

Feel free to PM me for more details.

I can't add anything constructive to this conversation that others have not already said far better. I can however say that personally this season has been eye opening to me in the effectivenesd and especially the excitement of catching on metal lips. They allow you to dial in on fish adjusting for depth, swim, etc. And mimicking a variety of bait both large and small. 

I think the biggest draw for me personaly is the "old school cool" factor of fishing them. The excitement of feeling the plug working against the water followed by the hit as it is destroyed by a bass can't be ignored.

20180810_052444.jpg.39466240645a846e48dd576795b06238.jpg

20180730_015415.jpg.f0a78bd32e95c1983c246ff521a71e76.jpg