When should old dogs learn new tricks?

Rate this topic

JohnP

Don't listen to Shaky whine about old age, the guy can still tap dance on a slippery rock 100yds off the beach in any kinda heave...hey Steve, how ya doin buddy!

I have favorite spots that have been good to me over the years at different tides/times of year, but inbetween I don,t mind spending time in a new location, even if I spend more time reading it than fishing it.I fish for quality not quantity anymore, to catch really large you need to be in the game as much as possible and in a place thats proper for weather conditions, time, tide,etc. Limited to just your favorite spots your chances go way down, IMO...that said, I'm off to one of my favorie spots right now!

biggrin.gif

Surfrat... You haven't seen me dance. Ask Wetzel about the jig I was doing last year in the rathole. Had a 15# on a stringer and spent a half hour twisting turning and high stepping trying to keep from getting hogtied. His charter didn't hav a clue as to what I was doing as they were east on the other side of the hole.

Doing pretty good. Got my appetite back finally and put on about eight pounds in the last ten days. Had a scare about two weeks ago when I ended up in the ER with abdominal pains. Turns out I was just full of it.

Heading out East today to say hello to the boys and maybe get in a few casts. No dancing on rocks right now. Just shuffling down the beac in my shorty boots or waders if its on the rough side. HappyWave.gif

If you are ugly you are ugly. Stop talking about inner beauty because we don't walk around with X-rays. ---   Robert Mugabe

This is a great topic. I don't think I know enough to call myself an 'old dog' but I sure need a few new tricks. There's a spot on a jetty that I almost always go to without thinking. Not that I fish there every time, but its the place I know best (jetty wise) and I go there too much, just out of habit. There's five other jetties scattered around it and I've only fished one of them- and not too often at that. Thanks for pointing out the need to try something different than "the ususal"! That's a goal for this Spring.

"Life's too short to fish with ugly flies."
Cynoscion Regalis

leaving fish to find fish?, I do it all the time. speaking mainly of river fishing, if one goes on a quest for a 'new' spot because the fishing (catching) is off in your standby spots on a particular day, your missing the boat (pardon my pun)-- if the fishing is off there, generally its off elsewhere as well. So I guess my point is, if your going to find another spot that holds fish, one needs to do it when the fishing is good.. yah, it's a bit of a psychological struggle.. but you have to put the blinders on and go by the known haunts.. there's nothing I enjoy more then the search and solving the puzzle on any given day... the more you do it the better you will get at it, the more versatile you become and much better fisher over all because of it. I find myself comfortable fishing about anywhere, any conditions, what ever, where ever. on any given day, I may fish a fly in a foot of water to a 3oz. jig in 80 feet.. granted my boat looks like a mini tackle shop with rods rigged for all conditions. Don't even want to think about what I have invested in gear... cwm31.gif I think if fishers do this, no spot or condition will seem unfamiliar, or feel a lack of confidence in fishing them.. there are only so many different conditions in structure and current.. so don't be leary or coy about hitting the new spots. icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

Set it like you mean it!

Given the opportunity, I will usually fish "new" spots. All I need to do this is time, which I seem to have so little of. My regular spot is actually one of four places, all within 20 minutes of the house. Two are on the south shore and two are on the north shore of LI. This pretty much covers any seasonal, tide, or wind conditions for me. But give me a solid 6 hour block of time and adios, I'm outta here. I've been known to drive two hours each way to Montauk or Orient Pt. on a worknight just to fish one hour if I know that I don't have an early meeting the next morning smile.gif To be truthful though, these other spots are not always new because I have fished most of them before, it's just not that often and don't know them as well as my regular spots. There are very few new spots on LI, just spots that you don't know that well. But going from sand to jetties to inlets, no problem here because I don't need to catch to have fun.

America, the country so great that even its haters refuse to leave.