bido

Bunker Factory Ships- OMEGA

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

6 mins ago, hydraman said:

I hope your kidding. All these boats that work for omega should be blown out of the water. Just my opinion

I grew up in nj and have fished the salt extensively. I know they rape the seas

8 hours ago, hydraman said:

I hope your kidding. All these boats that work for omega should be blown out of the water. Just my opinion

Kidding???  Back when Omega wiped out the menhaden population from the Chesapeake the Bushs owned it. That was when we got the regs changed to keep them off of our shoreline.

On 9/21/2018 at 4:56 AM, EliasV said:

As others said, the bycatch must be absurd

They harvest half a billion pounds of bunkers each year - they say their fishery is 'clean' because bycatch is less than 5% (going from memory here) - their bycatch is whatever follows bunker schools - bass, blues, sharks, weakfish, bonito, albies, etc, etc - 5% of 500,000,000# is TWENTY FIVE MILLION POUNDS ANNUALLY.    Yea, that sounds like a very 'clean' fishery :mad:  

It's an embarrassment to all of us that a civilized nation would allow half a billion pounds a year of such an incredibly important backbone of the marine ecosystem to be harvested and ground up for pennies on the pound. They pump money into legislators pockets - they have managed to make menhaden the only fish - on the planet - managed by Virginia's General Assembly...not by science or biology, but by politicians that are directly handed campaign contributions by Omega Protein.  Omega cannot afford to let science and biology manage menhaden, so they bought themselves politicians to make sure NOTHING can stop them from killing every last menhaden they can find. 

If anyone questions whether or not menhaden are in trouble - consider this - Omega Protein has to run boats hundreds of miles looking for bunker. They have to come all the way to NJ because that's as close to Virginia as they can find any bunker. They've raped and destroyed the Chesapeake Bay and can't find schools of bunker any closer to their plant in Virginia than NJ.  This is why politicians should NEVER be allowed to control any fishery - money is more important than science, biology and logic. Remember that when people you trust tell you politicians should be controlling fisheries that you care about...like fluke, striped bass, sea bass, blackfish, etc, etc. Lobbyists and politicians will lie to you for the people who pay them...they are used car salesmen that work in DC for their handlers to pass laws that everyone else knows are damaging and stupid. Like the ones that put Virginia's General Assembly in charge of managing JUST menhaden....Omega protein owns those politicians...and the menhaden...and they allowed Omega to destroy the Chesapeake Bay. That's where we are headed with fluke, seabass, blackfish and striped bass...don't let lobbyists and politicians sidestep science and biology - politicians and lobbyists don't give a crap about fish, just dollars :read:

TimS 

You guys need to get up to date. Any involvement with the bush family and omega ended long ago. 

At this point, omega isn’t even omega any longer. They were acquired by Cooke, a Canadian aquaculture company. Their reason for acquiring omega was to have the feed supply for their fish farming operations set. This was probably the worst possible outcome. Prior to the acquisition omega was probably in a very slow death spiral. Not any longer. 

Cooke has more than its share of issues. Their fish farming operations have been kicked out of Washington state due to issues with escaping salmon. 

2 hours ago, CharlieK said:

I don't know how long you have been on the scene, but we used to watch the netters wipe out a bunker school and than move off to unload onto the factory ship just offshore.

I used to throw 8oz sinkers at the smaller boats. Are they still using the helicopters to locate the fish. Imagine a peta type blowing one out of the sky

30 mins ago, chunk said:

I used to throw 8oz sinkers at the smaller boats. Are they still using the helicopters to locate the fish. Imagine a peta type blowing one out of the sky

Don't know about helicopters, but we know they always used spotter planes to locate the schools.

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

You guys need to get up to date. Any involvement with the bush family and omega ended long ago. 

At this point, omega isn’t even omega any longer. They were acquired by Cooke, a Canadian aquaculture company. Their reason for acquiring omega was to have the feed supply for their fish farming operations set. This was probably the worst possible outcome. Prior to the acquisition omega was probably in a very slow death spiral. Not any longer. 

Cooke has more than its share of issues. Their fish farming operations have been kicked out of Washington state due to issues with escaping salmon. 

Drew, no one said the Bushs still ran it. We spoke about the past history of the industry.

6 mins ago, CharlieK said:

Drew, no one said the Bushs still ran it. We spoke about the past history of the industry.

And like how are we people from Monmouth county nj and ocean and middlesex country will do try and defeat our mortal enemies on the batllefield. Wherever that battlefield may be

6 hours ago, TimS said:

They harvest half a billion pounds of bunkers each year - they say their fishery is 'clean' because bycatch is less than 5% (going from memory here) - their bycatch is whatever follows bunker schools - bass, blues, sharks, weakfish, bonito, albies, etc, etc - 5% of 500,000,000# is TWENTY FIVE MILLION POUNDS ANNUALLY.    Yea, that sounds like a very 'clean' fishery :mad:  

Yeah. And that 5 % bycatch is without a doubt much more than that.

Where do they come up with that?

When the net gets pulled to the boat they stick a big vacuum tube into the mass of fish and suck it into the hull.

Can you imagine how better off all fisheries would be without this crap going on?

On 9/22/2018 at 3:46 PM, CharlieK said:

Wasn't the Omega empire owned by the Bush family at one time? President  George Bush that is.

In 1959 GHW Bush joined Zapata Oil. He was the VP for Zapata’s off shore oil rig

operations, Omega Protien was a part of Zapata Oil.  In 1964 he sold his oil shares and ran for Congress,   He owned a piece of Zapata Oil including Omega for 5 years. 

It wasn’t until the 1990’s that Omega Protien became a top Marine Protein producer,

long after GHW Bush held an interest in it!  

1 hour ago, RJ said:

In 1959 GHW Bush joined Zapata Oil. He was the VP for Zapata’s off shore oil rig

operations, Omega Protien was a part of Zapata Oil.  In 1964 he sold his oil shares and ran for Congress,   He owned a piece of Zapata Oil including Omega for 5 years. 

It wasn’t until the 1990’s that Omega Protien became a top Marine Protein producer,

long after GHW Bush held an interest in it!  

I say we pay them not to fish.  This way we get ours.  get Omega or whatever it is out of the business for good.

4 hours ago, chunk said:

I say we pay them not to fish.  This way we get ours.  get Omega or whatever it is out of the business for good.

Again, you guys need to get a better understanding of this situation. Omega isn't fishing for profit now, they are fishing to supply feed to Cooke's aquaculture businesses.  There's no stopping this, there's no buying them out. 

17 hours ago, Jeffz1 said:

Yeah. And that 5 % bycatch is without a doubt much more than that.

Where do they come up with that?

When the net gets pulled to the boat they stick a big vacuum tube into the mass of fish and suck it into the hull.

Can you imagine how better off all fisheries would be without this crap going on?

I'm not sure where the number comes from - I remember reading that less than 5% bycatch was considered a 'clean' fishery....hard to call 25,000,000 pounds of dead bycatch 'clean' when they are game fish...and, more than likely, the largest of those species following around adult menhaden.  They do even more damage in the Gulf menhaden fishery. Truly reprehensible that we as Americans allow this to continue.

TimS