Portland Bill

Van Staal VR50 issues

Rate this topic

181 posts in this topic

So these things are suddenly readily available at, at least 3 or 4 shops in my area or on line shops I frequent...I've been chomping at the bit to pick one up...but I read, in a separate thread, something about a clicking noise...can anyone elaborate on that?

2 hours ago, albacized said:

...but I read, in a separate thread, something about a clicking noise...can anyone elaborate on that?

I have not experienced any clicking noise whatsoever. So far this reel is among one of the smoothest I’ve ever fished with & operates nearly silent. Granted, not a ton of time on it but probably 2 dozen or so fish with no issues. If I had to nitpick the only thing I’d say is the bail/flyer comes close to my hand during the retrieve. I tend to move my hand up above the reel seat when I’m working a bucktail or plug so really doesn’t bother me. 

Had some clicking and some whirling noise in the reel a few weeks back after fishing it hard over the last 9 months. Put a few 30lb fish on it and swam with it quite a bit.

Emailed Craig and he took care of it within a week. Haven't fish it yet, but it appears to be rebuilt. Impressive service if you ask me.

On 10/21/2018 at 10:05 AM, albacized said:

So these things are suddenly readily available at, at least 3 or 4 shops in my area or on line shops I frequent...I've been chomping at the bit to pick one up...but I read, in a separate thread, something about a clicking noise...can anyone elaborate on that?

I had the little click on the two of them. I put more grease on the traverse guide and that fixed 'em right up so far. I greased them back in the late spring and used them quite a bit since then ...so far so good. 

On 10/21/2018 at 10:05 AM, albacized said:

So these things are suddenly readily available at, at least 3 or 4 shops in my area or on line shops I frequent..

Readily available as in no need to pre order? Actually stocked with more than like 10 reels? 

To finish off this thread, both problems I had with the reel have been resolved.

The line lay has been fixed by Craig at Van Staal.  I sent it back to him and it's come back perfect.  Not sure what he's done, in an earlier email from him he said that he could "adjust the position of the spool".  He also sent me a free spare spool in compensation for the hassle and shipping cost.  I can't fault VS's service.

I fixed the very quiet clicker by following Beachglass guru's advice in this thread.  I can set it to the volume I want.  I don't want the whole beach to be able to hear it, but I want to hear it, and now I can.

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

He also sent me a free spare spool in compensation for the hassle and shipping cost.

That's awesome... Craig said he was going to get me a VS hoodie when I had to get a new vs 250 fixed, but all i got was a t-shirt ;)

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I fixed the very quiet clicker by following Beachglass guru's advice in this thread.  I can set it to the volume I want.  I don't want the whole beach to be able to hear it, but I want to hear it, and now I can.

I personally don’t get the clicker thing. How can you not know when a fish is taking drag? Are you not holding the rod in these situations?

There's a difference between a fish holding and a fish taking line.  Not always apparent on a reel with a smooth and even drag unless you're watching the spool or can hear it turning.  Quite possible to be winding and not gaining line if you don't know if the drag is giving line.

I once had a battle with a guy on a bridge.  I was on the shore under the bridge.  He cast over me and we tangled.  He was reeling like fury not realizing that his drag was loose and that I was taking line from him.  Comical really.

And there must be a reason why reel manufacturers put a clicker on their reels.  They don't usually add cost if they don't need to or if there's no demand.

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

There's a difference between a fish holding and a fish taking line.  Not always apparent on a reel with a smooth and even drag unless you're watching the spool or can hear it turning.  Quite possible to be winding and not gaining line if you don't know if the drag is giving line.

I once had a battle with a guy on a bridge.  I was on the shore under the bridge.  He cast over me and we tangled.  He was reeling like fury not realizing that his drag was loose and that I was taking line from him.  Comical really.

And there must be a reason why reel manufacturers put a clicker on their reels.  They don't usually add cost if they don't need to or if there's no demand.

Unless you're a beginner you should know if you're giving, taking or "holding" while fighting a fish.  You can feel it.  And yes - clickers do have a purpose but mostly for deadsticking applications.

So I opened up my VR50 to check the internals, clean and re-lube, etc. After thoroughly cleaning the drive gear I noticed what looked like debris between some of the teeth. Upon closer inspection it appears to be little rust spots. I sprayed some Reel Kleen on it and managed to remove most of it with a fine brass wire brush but still concerning. Anyone else see this on a stainless the drive gear? 

I also took the pinion assembly apart and discovered the main seal on the clutch housing has a big piece missing. No idea how that could happen other than during assembly as I've never taken it apart before now. If water got through when I flipped my yak that could be what caused the small rust spots on the drive gear but I see no other signs of salt intrusion. Anyway, VS is sending me a new seal but glad I took it apart and checked.

housing.jpg.c7193ac70746c13f8622919e2ce48844.jpg

Finally, should there be Drive Gear Adjust Washers (#19 in the schematic) on every reel or is that decided on assembly? My reel has none and I took it apart because it was feeling very rough. 

5c3fb56392546_drivegear.JPG.e1ef7ad5152ae76e67647b1a2d39cf75.JPG

This reel hasn't seen a ton of use so these findings are a bit concerning. 

2 hours ago, beerdoh said:

So I opened up my VR50 to check the internals, clean and re-lube, etc. After thoroughly cleaning the drive gear I noticed what looked like debris between some of the teeth. Upon closer inspection it appears to be little rust spots. I sprayed some Reel Kleen on it and managed to remove most of it with a fine brass wire brush but still concerning. Anyone else see this on a stainless the drive gear? 

I also took the pinion assembly apart and discovered the main seal on the clutch housing has a big piece missing. No idea how that could happen other than during assembly as I've never taken it apart before now. If water got through when I flipped my yak that could be what caused the small rust spots on the drive gear but I see no other signs of salt intrusion. Anyway, VS is sending me a new seal but glad I took it apart and checked.

housing.jpg.c7193ac70746c13f8622919e2ce48844.jpg

Finally, should there be Drive Gear Adjust Washers (#19 in the schematic) on every reel or is that decided on assembly? My reel has none and I took it apart because it was feeling very rough. 

5c3fb56392546_drivegear.JPG.e1ef7ad5152ae76e67647b1a2d39cf75.JPG

This reel hasn't seen a ton of use so these findings are a bit concerning. 

Those washers are only used when shimming the gear is necessary. 

So far with my VR50 i have put a couple of bass and albies on it but i have noticed how sticky the drag is and always makes a grinding noise every time i hook a albie when extreme amounts of drag is pulled.

15 hours ago, ACFishing said:

So far with my VR50 i have put a couple of bass and albies on it but i have noticed how sticky the drag is and always makes a grinding noise every time i hook a albie when extreme amounts of drag is pulled.

This should not happen. the VR50 drag is like a VS drag, a better design than the VR 125-200.  Sent it back, they will take care of it.