Portland Bill

Van Staal VR50 issues

Rate this topic

181 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2018 at 8:39 AM, Portland Bill said:

You must be mistaken xjclint.  According to Craig at VS service "We have not found a reel that needed any shims, but the line lay results from spooling the reel by hand and not using a machine." 

If machine spooling is necessary to get good line lay, then the line lay of the reel is jacked up and that is a bs excuse. Would reply you are full of it, and correct the oscillation to get better line lay if that was said to me. Poor line lay may not be a problem for some, but has always been for me. Never should be a gap at the top of spool either, is a recipe for windknot disaster

Was fishing my VR 50 this past weekend for albies.  Was distraught/upset when I started to hear a squeaking noise during the retrieve.  Thought it was coming from the bearing where the handle meets the knob. The squeaking was intermittent...I tried reeling in quickly....then slowly but there was no rhyme or reason to the cause/source.  Eventually, I realized that the reel was not squeaking....but that the noise was the wind whistling through the holes in the rotor/spool.  Felt like a dumb-ass...but glad it was not an issue with the reel.

The drag should be loud enough for the owner to hear while fishing the pounding surf...  not loud like a friggin siren...  the VR drag is quieter than a 20 dollar reel from Walmart

Edited by Wildcard777

On 9/20/2018 at 10:56 AM, Portland Bill said:

Great, thanks! I can hear it now! 

Really like my VR150 but been having the same issue with the silent drag. Can't seem to figure it out, directions seem super simple from BeachGlass Guru's post but I tried and can't even find that tensioner. Really wish I could figure this out. If there's any way you could post some pics or a video of how you did it that would be awesome man! Would definitely help a lot of guys, thanks, brother!

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

I havent been able to pick one up but I've handled a few at a tackle shop.  Did the 50's feel way more grindy than the larger sizes?  After feeling up a vs275 the vr50 felt pretty awful.  Maybe it just needs to be broken in.

3 mins ago, Yossarian said:

I havent been able to pick one up but I've handled a few at a tackle shop.  Did the 50's feel way more grindy than the larger sizes?  After feeling up a vs275 the vr50 felt pretty awful.  Maybe it just needs to be broken in.

It does not. Much nicer in my opinion.

Anyone else have issues with line looping around the shaft under the spool? Has happened twice on my 50 that I’ve had for a couple months. Never happened on my 150 I’ve owned for a couple seasons.

5 hours ago, BNickW said:

Anyone else have issues with line looping around the shaft under the spool? Has happened twice on my 50 that I’ve had for a couple months. Never happened on my 150 I’ve owned for a couple seasons.

I've had it happen a couple of times, fortunately there's nothing sharp for it to cut on but it's a bit of a nuisance having to take the spool off to untangle it. the spool skirt needs to be a little deeper.

worse is the bail roller mechanism, there's something sharp in there and it cuts through braid very easily if it gets tangled.

Edited by Portland Bill

I have no idea. Slack at the end of the cast before closing the bail. Kind of a PIA to fix on the go too. Have to take off a casting distance amount of line and then take the spool off. Something I’ll have to keep aware of. I would say user error but never happened on any other reel.

Caught my first 3 bass on the VR50 last night. Reel is super smooth, feather light & just a pleasure to fish with on a 9’ stick. I’ve owned a bunch of the VS series for many years & they’re great reels but the VR is a different animal - like fishing with a sealed Shimano. So far only 2 trips with this reel but I’m very impressed. VS did a great job on this one. 

Line lay not an an issue for me:

50BA7E7B-396D-42DC-8456-DF81B8308E4D.jpeg.00552a4d47f0adebdfd8e1951654dfdd.jpeg

Edited by vinnyb

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

Isn't there a trough right at the top of the spool? 

Very slight but honestly I've yet to see a spinner with 100% perfect line lay from top of spool to bottom. There are always minor inconsistencies but at some point it's splitting hairs & don't affect the reel's performance.