Portland Bill

Van Staal VR50 issues

Rate this topic

181 posts in this topic

I have not had any issues with my line lay on the vr50. As for the clicker, when I first saw the display at a local tackle shop I was disappointed because it was not audible at all. He pulled out a brand new one and it sounded perfect. If you haven't opened the reel or messed around with anything that would cause the line lay issue I would just contact Van Staal and see if you can get a replacement because it looks like your reel might just be a "bad reel".

I'd get that pic over to Craig at VS and see what he says. I had a similar issue with a new VSX i got a few years back and he got it fixed right up. 

Line lay on my VR50s look good just like in StripedBasstardz's pics. Both of them had a little tick when reeling, but some extra grease on the traverse guide took care of it.  

11 hours ago, Jon I said:

I'd get that pic over to Craig at VS and see what he says. I had a similar issue with a new VSX i got a few years back and he got it fixed right up. 

Line lay on my VR50s look good just like in StripedBasstardz's pics. Both of them had a little tick when reeling, but some extra grease on the traverse guide took care of it.  

Craig has been helpful by email regarding the line lay, up to the point of asking me to return it so he can re-lay the line.  I've said I'm not sure that will help (at a shipping cost of $78 one way) as the first time I cast, the retrieved line will form the ridge as it does now.

As I've fixed the clicker issue (thanks to Beachglass Guru) so i'm not sure it's worth the shipping.

I have another VR50 on order so will be interesting to see what that one's like although a mate took delivery of his a couple of weeks ago and has the same issue re the line lay. 

Why has no adjustment facility been built in?  A couple of removable washers maybe?

Anyone know if a service kit is available?  Servicing in the UK is likely to be an issue once these reels have seen a bit of use.

Despite all this, I gotta say this is still the best reel I've come across for the sort of fishing I do in the UK, both shore and kayak.  That's why I have another on order. 

On 9/20/2018 at 9:13 AM, Beachglass Guru said:

Fishing mine over 6 months.. no line lay issues at all.. 

Drag clicker was almost silent and that bothered me.. so I fixed it and it took less than 1 minute to do so..

Under the spool you will see the clicker.. the volume is controlled by the tensioner (small metal clip) on the top.. 

Clip is held in place at the two ends that slide into the sides of the "clicker box"... slide the ends out.. you will see that the tensioner is curved (bent) down towards the center.. just make the bend a little deeper.. that's it.  Now put it back on (slide the two side ends into the slots they belong in)..

Done.  Now your clicker can be as loud as you want it to be ... 

I took your advice as mine was really quiet as well. Guess I got a little too aggressive with the modification as after landing a bunch of snapper and ling cods yesterday my reel went silent at some point. The clip must have popped out and disappeared into the ether of the Pacific. So if anybody wants a silent VR, just remove the clip and the drag still functions sans sound. 

Edited by Skkeeter

So VS fixed my line lay issue right off the bat. There are special washers above the traverse on the spool shaft that need to be installed. Mine looked way worse than yours and they fixed it pretty quickly. Again, why it came from the factory like that at $500 is beyond me. Would have been pretty easy to measure and determine in about 2 mins.

The funny thing about the VR is that it is self serviceable with the included tool. However, Craig told me that opening it up before the 1st year was up would void the warranty. So even if they included the washers, you open it to install them and you are out of luck.

My wrench stripped out the first time opening it because it was overtightened from the factory, and Craig/Zebco/VS still have never sent me a replacement. That's after about 5 emails back and forth trying to get one. I finally had to make one out of lexan just to open my damn $500 reel.

All in all, great reel that fits a specific niche. I have a feeling zeebass and tsunami might take a huge chunk of out this market though if they can refine 3 things:

1. Bail wire needs to be smaller -- the VR50 is a knuckle buster just like the VR175-200.
  2. Better quality control -- these are much better than the VR125-200 models, but we are still seeing a few issues with line lay, AR failure, and clicking bearings (mine clicks on big fish in the same spot every time and I have heard of others).
  3. Lefty support -- I am a righty, but those poor guys

Glad to hear he's responsive to email for you guys, haven't heard a word from him for months on my VR200 that's broken...

My VR50 doesn't have the perfect line lay that you show in that pic, but it's not as bad as the first pic either.  Haven't had any issue's with it yet, but it's too soon to tell.  Will be interested to see if it can take some sand and water - the 200 could not...

On 9/24/2018 at 1:20 PM, xjclint said:

So VS fixed my line lay issue right off the bat. There are special washers above the traverse on the spool shaft that need to be installed. Mine looked way worse than yours and they fixed it pretty quickly. Again, why it came from the factory like that at $500 is beyond me. Would have been pretty easy to measure and determine in about 2 mins.

You must be mistaken xjclint.  According to Craig at VS service "We have not found a reel that needed any shims, but the line lay results from spooling the reel by hand and not using a machine." 

5 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

You must be mistaken xjclint.  According to Craig at VS service "We have not found a reel that needed any shims, but the line lay results from spooling the reel by hand and not using a machine." 

I spool both of my VR50's by hands with help from a buddy. I had him hold and put tension on the bottom layers and slowly loosen up as we go. I even had the reels mounted on the rods while doing it.

Edited by StripedBasstardz

5 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I am not mistaken. I sent the reel out with no shims and it came back with 3 added. The line lay was a V and now is uniform. While it wasn't terrible from the factory, it was noticeably stacked at the top. That was both from hand spooling and then by machine to correct the issue (which is not really how it should be fixed).

This is right from Craig from February: "Thanks for the email and for getting your VR50 back to us to add a spacer washer to the bottom of the shaft."

I am all for supporting VS (have both a VR and VSX), but that quote from above is blatantly dishonest. I will say that they fixed the issue pretty quickly though, which is good.

Be nice if I got my Vr50 wrench after asking for a new one for 9 months... (Craig if you come across this!)

On 9/27/2018 at 8:39 AM, Portland Bill said:

Not the first time a salesman has lied. Craig also told me (via email) that everyone that completed the 3-Tand Submariner survey was getting a Van Staal VR at 15% off. Did that ever happen?